Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Stay in Belltown? Pioneer Square? Queen Anne? Pike Place? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/stay-in-belltown-pioneer-square-queen-anne-pike-place-721664/)

wigaboo Jul 17th, 2007 02:40 PM

Stay in Belltown? Pioneer Square? Queen Anne? Pike Place?

We will be staying in Seattle for two nights (my husband and I, my daughter and her husband). To save money we are thinking of sharing a room with two beds. We want to visit the Space Needle, Pike Street, and see the library, wander around downtown. We really want to just park our car and walk so that we won't have to worry about finding parking or getting lostI've seen some places in Belltown that say they are between Space Needle and six blocks north of Pike Place Market. We also found something about Harbor Steps by Pike Place Market. Anyone familiar enough with the areas to let us know if we would be safe walking and safe at the lodging place? I realize it might be different depending where you are in each area, but any help would be great. Thanks so much.

suze Jul 17th, 2007 03:56 PM

Of those four, Queen Anne is the one that is a bit set apart and more residential.

Pioneer Square is immediately south of downtown, Pike Place in the middle, and Belltown slightly to the north. Basically in terms of cost, safety, atmoshere... these are all "downtown Seattle" imo.

When you say "just park our car", where do you plan to do that? At a hotel? Parking is expensive and scarce is why I mention it specifically.

wigaboo Jul 17th, 2007 06:31 PM

Thank you suze. We would like to just leave our car at the hotel, condo, wherever we end up staying. We've also saw a couple of small homes for rent for a few days at Alki Point, but we would have to use a car to get to the areas we wanted to see, wouldn't we?

There is a place called The European Terrace Garden in Belltown. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks.

Bobmrg Jul 17th, 2007 07:02 PM

I don't know anything about the European Terrace Garden, but either it or Harbor Steps will fit your needs. There is a free-fare zone for public transit that runs from Pioneer Square to Belltown...Seattle Center is not much farther north. Both are handy to the waterfront.

dfrostnh Jul 18th, 2007 01:19 AM

Several years ago we stayed at the Inn at Queen Anne for two nights. There is no elevator and the room we stayed in was clean but worn. It contained a tiny kitchen. Parking at the time was free but according to the website "nightly charges apply". It's in a nice residential area within walking distance of the Space Needle. The website says they have a courtesy shuttle to popular downtown areas. We found the restaurants within walking distance to be fine. You might want to consider having lunch at a popular downtown restaurant but supper close to the hotel. It's nice to be able to get around without worrying about a car.

Retired_teacher Jul 18th, 2007 04:40 AM

If you're flying into SEA-TAC, I'd recommend staying at one of the large downtown hotels and taking the shuttle bus from the airport: http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm If you're driving your own vehicle, however, parking at these same hotels will be pricey, so you may want to focus on free parking within the downtown area which may prove difficult if not impossible to find.

Although the downtown area appeared to be safe during the day and early evening hours when I was last there in the fall of ' 02, I would advise caution in some areas you mention after dark. The other 'piece' that you need to know is that although the downtown area is certainly walkable, you need to be physically fit to handle the steep hills.... Remember that anything perpendicular to Alaskan Way is uphill.

suze Jul 18th, 2007 06:31 AM

I think you will probably have to pay for the parking at your hotel, is my guess, most places you do. Finding parking for free in downtown Seattle, is pretty much a thing of the past.

I don't recognize that name, but I work in Belltown. If you have an address maybe I can comment further about European Terrace Garden.

I don't think downtown Seattle is unsafe, but you will see homeless people about. Depending on what you are used to this may be nothing, or might seem bothersome.

Have you looked at the Mediterranean Hotel on lower Queen Anne?

suze Jul 18th, 2007 06:34 AM

I don't recommend the Greyliner with a group, because it will cost just as much as a taxi (shuttle $10.25 pp, and taxi will be no more than $35-40) from the airport.

You don't need a car for downtown but might like one for touring around the area. And you'd definitely need it to stay out someplace like West Seattle (Alki beach).

NWWanderer Jul 18th, 2007 06:51 AM

You wouldn't necessarily need a car to stay out on Alki, if the place you rent is within walking distance of the Elliott Bay Water Taxi to downtown.

Retired_teacher Jul 19th, 2007 03:37 AM

Suze, my thought with regards to taxi vs the Greyliner was that they wouldn't be able to fit 4 plus luggage in one taxi? Of course, you're correct that a taxi would be cheaper <i>if</i> they're traveling light. rt

suze Jul 19th, 2007 06:57 AM

The taxis that pick up from the airport are fairly good sized sedan type cars. But you're right it might be a squeeze with 4 adults if they have 4 large suitcases.

I'm not against Greyliner and have used it myself. But it takes longer, as you have to wait for the next bus, then loop around thru the other downtown hotels. But is good value if you're traveling solo.

happytrailstoyou Jul 19th, 2007 07:22 AM

You are making this a bigger problem than it needs to be.

If you want to &quot;save money,&quot; you can forget about the Inn at Harbor Steps.

Check out La Quinta Inn, which is a 10-minute walk from the retail core. The King Suites have a bedroom, mini-kitchen, and large living room with sofa bed. An o.k. breakfast and parking are included in the rate.

Friends booked at this place recently; it attracts the crowd that stays at Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.

Gardyloo Jul 19th, 2007 09:24 AM

There are also van taxis available at the airport (not numerous so may need to wait a bit - see a dispatcher if there's one handy, or ask a STITA cab to call it in.) They could handle 4 pax with bags no problem.

wigaboo Jul 19th, 2007 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone. Great ideas. I'm going to just get it done tonight--choosing a place to stay. There were a few options that I never considered before. Can't wait. I LOVE Seattle.