Statue of Liberty: Boat tour vs Statten Island Ferry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to NYC the last week in August. 2 parents, one daughter,20 and one son,18, so are trying to please all tastes in 5 day. We are pretty much in agreement about what we want to do except for one thing. Friends suggested taking the Statten Island Ferry over and back to get a good view of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island instead of the full blown tour. What do you think? Only 50% are in favour of visiting this site so I am trying to figure out a compromise.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM
GoTravel

If only half are in favor of visiting, do the Staten Island Ferry because it take so much less time than the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Tour.

Split up and do the tour while the other half of your group can find tons of things downtown to occupy them.

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:07 PM

You have to go through security and then may wait for more than an hour just to board the boat to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

The Staten Island Ferry runs frequently. The round-trip ride takes one hour. Worst case scenario: you just miss a ferry and have to wait 20 minutes for the next one.

As GoTravel suggests, with your ambivalent group, skip the agony of the full-blown visit.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
JJ5

Ellis Island is awesome. I know what group I'd been in if your family does a split.

You can feel the people who went through- it made the hair on my arms stand up- literally.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
nlg

We were in New York in May and we took
the Staten Island ferry and thought it
was great and the price was great!!!
We rode the subway to the stop near
the ferry and then walked the rest of
the way-stopping at the Twin Towers site-it was very moving-I got tears in
my eyes as soon as we walked up to the
site. After taking the ferry, we walked
back to the Brooklyn Bridge and walked
across it and then took the subway in
Brooklyn back to Manhatten.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM

The Staten Island Ferry is just dandy for great views of the Manhattan Skyline; however, it does not compare to an actual visit to two great American shrines--the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

If your family is not joined at the hips, perhaps the two who want to go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island can do so while the other two busy themselves with something of interest to them.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:34 PM

The Staten Island Ferry is great for a view of the harbor and the Statue from a distance.

And IMHO the little that you can see at the Statue is not worth the hours of wait.

But you can;t see Ellis Island Museum from a distance - you have to take several hours to do it and it is well worth it. To me - more moving than the Statue - since it exemplifies the bravery of all those who immigrated and what they have contributed to our society - in many, many moving details.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:54 AM

I am in total agreement with nytraveler. The SI ferry is great for a distant view and photo ops of the SOL but you can't see Ellis Island much and even if you could, it's nothing like going there. If you're interested in Ellis Island, I think your family should split up and those who want to go should. It is definitely an investment of time. For those who go, take the audio tour or a regular tour of Ellis Island.

For best use of time, go on the first ferry of the morning, book it in advance online and don't get off at Liberty Island (where SOL is). Stay on the boat and continue on to Ellis Island. After visiting Ellis Island, you can stop at SOL if you wish.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM

How long will the SOL and Ellis Island trip take?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:19 PM

I'm planning on taking the first ferry out and would like to be back in manhattan by 1pm at the latest...is that enough time?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Just a note about the operation of the Staten Island Ferry:

Leaving Manhattan you are allowed to be on the upper outside deck, but on the return leg to Manhattan, they clear the deck and lock it and no one is allowed there.

Just an FYI for those that want to take pics of the skyline and think they'll be able to do so on the return trip.

Keith
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:30 PM

I should have said the deck that is at the rear of the ferry on the trip to Staten Island, but at the front of the ferry on the return trip to Manhattan. The side decks are open for both legs.

K