Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Statue of Liberty ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/statue-of-liberty-562130/)

ibob Oct 2nd, 2005 02:25 PM

Statue of Liberty ?

Is it possible to see the SOL from land. I realize the Liberty Island Ferry and the Staten Island Ferry are the prefered options. So can the SOL be seen from a Building? Bridge? Park? Or else where on land?

Pumpy Oct 2nd, 2005 02:34 PM

Yes, it can easily be seen from Battery Park.

bgans Oct 2nd, 2005 02:34 PM

The Statue of Liberty is on an island in the middle of New York Harbor. It can be seen from a distance from the Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, a few points in New Jersey, etc. For a closer view, you have to be on the water or on Liberty Island itself.

seetheworld Oct 2nd, 2005 03:12 PM

We just experienced a wonderful view of the SOL from our hotel room at the (Marriott Financial). I highly recommend talking a walk along the Battery Park Promenade - very pleasant (as are all the other options mentioned).

If you are adventuresome, you can rent a kayak and travel along the river that way ;)

J62 Oct 2nd, 2005 03:14 PM

If you've never been to NYC, this isn't a silly question.

Yes, you can see the SOL from land, but you don't really get a good view. She faces out into the harbor, and even tho she is tall, Liberty Island is about 1 mile from Battery Park.

You can get the Liberty Island Ferry from either Battery Park or from NJ. To board the ferry, you have to go through an airport like security screening (TSA and all) - no backpacks or similar sized bags allowed. (as in day pack size)

seetheworld Oct 2nd, 2005 03:16 PM

If you head to Liberty Park, visit the Liberty Science Center - great place!

And I wasn't joking about the kayak - although I am certain you cannot get close to the SOL that way (nor would you want to - the water is rough).

PaulRabe Oct 2nd, 2005 04:28 PM

One more way to see SoL is to take the Staten Island Ferry. Runs every hour, 24 hours a day, no major security checks, carry as much as you like, and it's completely free. As you glide along in New York Harbor, you experience the SoL the way millions of immigrants did. You can easily imagine being with your ancestors looking up from their boat as they entered the harbor, and feel the feelings they felt.

J_Correa Oct 3rd, 2005 10:29 AM

I think the Staten Island ferry is a really good idea. We went out to the island, which was cool, but the best thing was seeing the SOL from the water.

aussiedreamer Oct 3rd, 2005 07:28 PM

Would somebody mind taking the time to tell me 'how' to catch the 'free' Staten Island Ferry? I have heard it suggested many times. We don't really need to go right to the SOL as we have done it once before. But I do remember the best part was the trip over on the boat, very special. so perhaps a ride on the ferry is all we need.
Where exactly do you catch it from and do you just walk on? Don't want to look like fools :-)

QC Oct 3rd, 2005 08:08 PM

You can catch the SI Ferry at the (cleverly named) Staten Island Ferry Terminal, located adjacent to Battery Park on State Street. It's at the southnmost tip of Manhattan Island.

You can take the (1) Train to South Ferry (make sure you are in the FIRST 5 cars of the train) or the (4) or (5) Trains to Bowling Green, then walk a short distance to the terminal. Some M15 Buses also terminate at the Terminal.

You can see the harbor from Bowling Green & the end tip of Broadway, so it's semi-obvious where to go.

The Ferry is FREE, and while I am not sure how you board boats in Australia, here in NYC you just walk on to it.

E Oct 4th, 2005 07:04 AM

The SI ferry is definitely the way to go if you don't need to tour the actual SOL. The Statue, while indeed visible from many spots on land, isn't as big as you might think, so the best view is from the water. And you won't look silly at the terminal if you are a bit confused, because it's usually got lots of tourists wandering around trying to figure out the same thing--how to catch the free ferry! One last note: as I recall, the total ride took at least 45 minutes, so budget time accordingly. Enjoy!

ellenem Oct 4th, 2005 08:49 AM

The ferry ride takes just under 30 minutes one way. There are frequent ferries on weekdays, especially at rush hour. Later at night and on weekends there are fewer.

When you reach Staten Island you will probably have to get off the ferry and reboard. Move quickly--you will go into the terminal and be able to reboard the next ferry back to Manhattan which leaves almost immediately.

E Oct 4th, 2005 09:36 AM

We did not have to get off and reboard when we went...must be a sometime thing.

aussiedreamer Oct 4th, 2005 12:51 PM

thanks, especially for the very 'witty'QC! ;) Yes, here in Aus. we do just walk on, I meant was there any special procedure but points taken, thanks. If memory serves correctly we got off the double decker tour bus at Battery Park, to do the tour of SOL. So we may time it with our two day pass.
If we have to get off at Staten Island, is there anything worth having a look at, or should we just get straight back on?

QC Oct 4th, 2005 01:13 PM

"Yes, here in Aus. we do just walk on, I meant was there any special procedure but points taken, thanks."

No, mate, it's really that easy. Boat pulls in, you march on once they open the gates. It only goes to one place so there are no proper quays to find, etc.

Have a great trip.