Statia... about the RV'ing????

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:13 AM
bonniebroad

Statia... about the RV'ing????

You mentioned that your in-laws sold everything, and that their RV is their home. May I be nosey and ask how old they are? I presume they must be in excellent health (they must not worry about access to a particular doctor, medical centers, etc.), and don't miss being able to have people come to visit, as they would in their old home. That sounds fascinating to me....... Do they have children whom they visit, sort of "set up" house in their driveway, that kind of thing, or are they totally just "on the road?"

I must admit that it sounds appealing to me! (Your island life does, too!) Maybe there's a little bit of Gypsy in my soul........ Thanks!

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi bonniebroad, I'll put my 2 cents in and keep this topped for Statia....my parents have done just that a few years ago...Mom is 55, Stepdad is 62 and they are very healthy...They come back each year to where their family doctor (They carry all updated records with them in the of chance they need treatment while traveling) is, accountant, etc and do all their business & appts with them while in town (usually around X-mas)...then handle all business via laptop with wireless connection...They do park in driveways when possible (42 foot motorcoach though) and many people they visit have a little land..or they stay at a park nearby..they finally picked a place they like enough to buy a second home which turned out to be a condo overlooking the harbor in Victoria, Vancouver Island, BC...they visit us all now and when they are ready to go, they can just roll away...I have visited them on the road and it's fun ! They have seen so many wonderful sights and met so many delightful new friends...go for it !
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM

If you want to talk to more people about RVing full time then try over on RV.net. There is a whole section under General Forums for Full-Time RVing and RV Lifestyle. These are VERY active boards with lots of RVing topics!

http://www.rv.net/forum/

Utahtea
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Hi Bonnie. My inlaws are in their early 60's and quite active/healthy. They are involved with an RV club in Texas and that assures the benefits that they need on the road. The club offers insurances, medical center, computer access, mail forwarding, etc. They can also set up camp and have meals there for relatively nothing when they are in the area.

The club also provides books on RV parks in the country where they can recieve club discounts, as well as maps, itineraries, road assistance, etc.

Here is a link to the club they are in, but I'm sure there are many like it in the country.
http://www.escapees.com/happycamper/

We have been camping with them and have found there is plenty of room for the four of us on a long weekend trip. It really is a lot of fun if you don't mind simplicity and it's just amazing how much the RV's are really like a home. The features and modern conveniences in theirs just threw me for a loop the first time I saw it. My MIL wouldn't trade it for the maintenance of a house again, that's for sure.

They travel all over the country, depending on the weather and season, and have really enjoyed seeing so many places. They just spent about three weeks on the Gulf Coast and were in the West for a few weeks before that. They also spent last summer in the Northeast. They just decide where they want to go week to week and it's nice that they can decide to spend a longer amount of time in a place they really like.

They also tend to set up camp near one of the kids at various points during the year....all except us, but we keep threatening to put that RV on a container ship bound for the island. If the family member has a large lot, they will set up right on their property. Otherwise, they will stay at an RV park nearby. That way they have their privacy in their "home," but can stay close enough to see family for a couple of weeks without intruding on the family's day to day activities.

As I said before....RV'ing isn't for everyone, but for those that like the freedom and don't mind the simpicity, it really is a neat way to see the country.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:20 AM
bonniebroad

Thank you all for your information and comments. Statia, I'm thinking that a couple would have to love each other's company A LOT to live this way. Of course, you would be seeing and doing things with others along the way but you would still be together more, I'd think, than living in a standard home. Interesting idea......... sounds like a lot of fun in most ways! Could I give up all my junk??? I'd have to think about it!

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM

My grandma and her husband did this for awhile, as did my grandaunt and uncle.

My grandma basically made a loop every year spending winters in Arizona, summers in Colorado with my uncle and his family, and then making a pass through California in the fall to visit the rest of the family and friends before heading back to Arizona for the winter. She was in her early 60s when they started and they did this for about 10-15 years. Now they have settled in Nevada since they are too old to really travel much.

My grandaunt and uncle travelled all over in their RV. They hit every state. They started when my aunt was in her late 50s and my uncle was in his early 60s - they had a ranch which they sold when my uncle retired. They spent time with family throughout the year and in Arizona in the winter time as well - they were able to meet up with my grandma and her husband throughout the year - but they spend the spring, summer, and fall wandering the countryside. After my uncle started to go blind, they confined themselves to a few spots throughout the year then eventually gave up the RV and settled near my cousin. They loved being in the RV though.