Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Starting in Denver with a week to take a motorcycle ride Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Denver for a wedding and have a week to ride motorcycles out west. It will be in the beginning of July. Any thoughts on how to use the time? We like to see national parks and are looking for suggestions. We would like to ride and spend a day or so in different places.
Thanks ahead of time for all your help.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 03:35 AM

Do take Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mt. NP. Then head down through Silverton to Durango and over to Mesa Verde.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 04:14 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Grand Canyon!
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 05:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you ship the motorcycles to Denver and go from there? Where do you plan to be at the end of a week?
Good suggestions so far. Mine would be Badlands, Mt. Rushmore and Sturgis even though you'll be too early for the annual rally.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 05:30 AM

But some of the suggestions involve huge travel distances if starting in Denver. Are you looking for long trips on the bikes or some type of a loop travel?
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 12:59 PM

What route exactly would you suggest from Denver to the Grand Canyon on a bike? Seems to me to be an out of left field suggestion.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 03:04 PM

These two routes are about 1100 miles each and I'm assuming you want to end back in Denver. If you don't want to end back in Denver then we need to know where you're going to be of help.

Rocky Mountain National Park take I-70 to Hwy 50 south to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Hwy 550 (the Million Dollar Hwy) down to Durango, CO. Take 160 west to Mesa Verde National Park, then take 160 east towards Great Sand Dunes National Park, north on Hwy 285, then hwy 285 to Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. Take Hwy 24 east to I 25 back to Denver.

Rocky Mountain National Park take I-170 to Cisco, Utah and then Scenic Hwy 128 into Moab, Utah. In this area are Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. From Moab continue south on Hwy 191 to Hwy 491 to Cortez, CO. Take Hwy 160 to Mesa Verde National Park. Continue on 160 to Durango and then north on 550 to Montrose and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. From there work your way back to Denver.

Utahtea
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 02:16 AM

I'm pretty sure there are roads that can get you from Denver to the Grand Canyon!! LOL Actually, we even did it on a trip, with some great stops in between--Great Sand Dunes, Durango, Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly.
Now, if it is a bit far, that is something else.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 05:14 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
There are lots of routes.

It's a 10 hour drive, going through Grand Junction, and bikers like to ride. Personally, there is no countryside I'd rather ride/drive through.

They could visit Arches or other parks in Utah, dip down to Canyon de Chelly, or just enjoy driving through Monument Valley and the desert.

Actually we saw about 40 Germans on bikes at Navajo Bridge (as we were driving from the South Rim to the North Rim). They had started in Chicago and were driving to California. They were having a blast and loving the desert. Be sure to put on lots of sunscreen though.

If the desert doesn't appeal, I'd do my favorite CO circle - south from Denver to Alamosa and Great Sand Dunes. On to Durango and Mesa Verde. Up through Silverton (and pretend you're in Switzerland). Peal off to Telluride if you want. Head for the hot tubs in Glenwood Springs. Visit Breckenridge and back to Denver.

The possibilities are endless. Depends on what you want to see/do and if you want a mix of mountain and flat driving or just a loop in Colorado.

If you want lots of flat driving you could go head up to Jackson, WY and visit Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone. Head back south from Cody and stop for the rodeo in Cheyenne before coming back to Denver. It's July so the huge rodeo is going on...
http://www.cfdrodeo.com/