Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Starting a family! Coastal towns to relocate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
We have been researching for a long while to find the "perfect" (haha) town to relocate to (we currently live in California).

We are looking for a coastal town with a lot of growth and good schools. Ideally would like a home right on the water around the $1M range (which basically leaves out all of CA and Seattle areas).

Does anyone have any suggestions for our search? Our jobs allow us to move basically anywhere....thank you!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM

Sarasota, Florida or Charleston, S.C.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM
GoTravel

A million dollars no longer gets you a home on the coast on the ocean in Charleston, SC or in most parts of Florida.

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

You can definitely find something gulf front in the eastern panhandle of Florida for less than a million (from Shell Point to Mexico Beach). St. George Island or Cape San Blas would be my preferences. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago I toured a new community on Cape San Blas and found a fabulous house, new construction, gulf front for $998,000. I think it was just over 3,000 sq. feet, with granite counter tops in kitchen and baths, swimming pool, etc. This would have been unheard of a couple of years ago but right now real estate sales are very slow in the panhandle and prices have fallen considerably. There are definitely bargains to be had.

I don't know for certain about the Destin and Pensacola areas but it wouldn't be hard to pull up some real estate sites and take a look.

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:15 AM

Have you looked in OR? Maybe a small town, like manzanita (which is tiny, but will probably boom within the next few years (the HS is in Seaside.)
Newport is affordable. Vancouver, Wa, is growing, w/s few really good schools. You may want to drop your "on the water" criteria- I just don't think that's possible for a million, unless, like sunshinesue said, it's a place where the market is really slow- which leaves out "fast growing places". And then you actually may lose money on your investment (the house) if you ever have to move.

Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:49 AM

Corpus Christi, TX
You can definitely get a beachfront home there for $1M.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:03 AM

There's at least one waterfront home on Bainbridge Island for under $1 million right now---I just checked. East side, with a great view of Seattle, built in 1937. And a number of newer homes with great water views for that price. Bainbridge is a great family-oriented community with very good schools.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM

Here's a cooler climate suggestion... Traverse City, MI It's a resort town, but doesn't roll up the sidewalks in the winter. Good schools, very scenic, great arts and education scene.

the visitors bureau : http://mytraversecity.com/

or the chamber at:http://tcchamber.org/

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the posts! This is really helpful...I think we are going to start visiting parts of Seattle and Oregon soon...