Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Start of Hurricane Season 2005 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/start-of-hurricane-season-2005-a-533376/)

GoTravel Jun 1st, 2005 11:13 AM

Start of Hurricane Season 2005

Today is June 1st which means it is the start of hurricane season.

That creepy Storm Center music was just playing on The Weather Channel at :50 after the hour. Because it is raining here, it brought back deja vous to hurricane season 2004.

joan Jun 1st, 2005 11:30 AM

Go Travel, I am SO SICK of the media and its fever-pitch coverage of hurricanes. It's absolutely ridiculous. I feel like taking my plywood and bashing in my TV, portable radio, and generator (omigod I don't even HAVE a generator! what was I thinking?), and then taping it all together with duct tape, and pouring bottled water over all.

How's that for a summer recipe??????

OO Jun 1st, 2005 11:38 AM

Ugh GoTravel!

I've got a T-shirt that is good for only the dirtiest work and I was out weeding the garden in it last night. It's a silk screened weather map of Florida, with what looks to be Charlie sitting smack dab in the center of the state, covering the entire thing top to bottom and side to side. It reads "I survived 4 hurricanes in 60 days at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

We have moved, but our boat is still there in the water in a St Pete marina. Now all we can do is cross our fingers and hope any storm headed that way turns. I feel anxious just at the mention of the start of the season! :( What awful memories.

GoTravel Jun 1st, 2005 11:42 AM

I heard that music and that whole feeling of dread and anxiety came pouring back.

In all of my life, I cannot remember going through a worse fall than last year.

ronijeni Jun 1st, 2005 11:46 AM

I have noticed that many peoples roofs are still not repaired from last season. I hope our luck is better this year!

joan Jun 1st, 2005 12:04 PM

Our brand new roof, completed 7 months after Hurricane Jeanne, is ready and waiting. We count ourselves lucky - both to have a roof, and to be able to afford a loan for the giant deductible not covered by our wind insurance.

Lesson learned: don't evacuate far. All of our immediate family has now realized the foolishness of traveling hundreds of miles trying to evade the storm. We all now plan to stick together (could that be worse than the hurricane? :) ) and move 7 miles inland to slightly higher ground. That way if the worst happens, at least we'll be close to home, together, and the first back on the scene.

Scarlett Jun 1st, 2005 12:11 PM

Hello darlins!
We should have a club like the First Wives club but this one would be the First Hurricanes Club or something :D

We will be moving away from Hurricane Central soon.
We are not made of such hearty stuff as the rest of you.
We are wimps :(

You are all welcome to visit us if you want to avoid a storm this summer
((L)) S~

Statia Jun 1st, 2005 01:00 PM

I was thinking of you Floridians and east coasters this morning when they were showing how many people are still trying to rebuild after Charlie. I am crossing my fingers that those of us here in the Caribbean are spared again this year. Actually, I honestly hope that we are all spared this year.

Fairhope Jun 1st, 2005 01:18 PM

How about a little love for us Alabama coast folks!!

neworleanslady Jun 1st, 2005 01:28 PM

We somehow came out pretty good last year, but it's always heartbreaking no matter where it goes. I've spent every summer on the Panhandle of Florida, my mom lives in North Carolina and my grandparents live near Tampa - so there is no place I can "wish" it to go.

I'm just glad I moved out of New Orleans - aka: the soup bowl. I'm still not very far inland, but at least I'm now 41 feet ABOVE sea level rather than 6 feet BELOW.

To kids today is the last day of school, to us it's the beginning of another season we could do without.

Wishing everyone the best this season! Let's hope Dr. Gray is wrong!

Statia Jun 1st, 2005 01:53 PM

Fairhope, my family is on the Gulf Coast too, so naturally I'm hoping that everyone stays out of danger this year....all coasts included. :)

Byrd Jun 2nd, 2005 05:50 AM

Fairhope, I'm with you..We're more than 100 miles north of you in Demopolis, and our town took a real hit.

Our street lost big oak and hickory trees and is just beginning to look decent again.
I can imagine that all of you down on the Gulf are still having nightmares about that awful week of Ivan.

Byrd

Wednesday Jun 2nd, 2005 07:50 AM

I'm in central FL too, and it seems like yesterday we were "hunkering down"....I am not looking forward to it again..

OO Jun 2nd, 2005 08:30 AM

hunkering down and watching those blasted, ever changing, "cones of uncertainty". :(

wantsomesun Jun 2nd, 2005 10:27 AM

Well my prediction is that NYC/NJ is going to get hammered by a hurricane this year. We are unfortunatley overdue for a bad storm.

So,,,,,you heard it here first.

GoTravel Jun 2nd, 2005 11:07 AM

Well, lets hope all the storms go out to sea.

We've had many years that the US mainland and the caribbean along with Mexico were spared of any significant damage.