Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   St. Pete- Good Seafood Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/st-pete-good-seafood-restaurants-108248/)

Smitty Feb 24th, 2001 08:58 PM

St. Pete- Good Seafood Restaurants

Need some reccommendations for some good seafood in the St Pete or Treasure Island area. Nothing fancy---just good.Thanks..

Ann Feb 25th, 2001 09:29 AM

Hi - we've vacationed on Treasure Island for the last couple of years, and I can recommend Crabby Bill's pretty highly. They have a couple locations, both on Gulf Blvd., and we've eaten at both. One location is in St. Pete Beach on Gulf Blvd. and is attached to a hotel, and the other location is a stand-alone that is a few miles north of Treasure Island - I think it's in Madeira Beach or even north of there a little bit, across the street from the water. Their fried catfish is great! They also have a really good smoked fish dip appetizer, and terrific clam chowder. They also have a full carry-out section at this location where you can get dinner to go. This particular location gets really crowded with lines snaking out the door, so go early or late. We also ate at Guppy's, also on Gulf Blvd., I believe it's a little bit north of the Crabby Bill's in Madeira Beach. They have a terrific shrimp gazpacho, and they make this wonderful sauteed fish fillet coated with shredded potatoes and topped with a creamy leek sauce - yum. It was so good we ate there two nights in a row. This place gets really packed too so go early or late. In Clearwater Beach, the best grouper sandwiches are at this little place whose name escapes me right now, but they are hugely popular and have 3 locations and hopefully someone else on this board will help me out. There are several locations of Shell's in the St. Pete/Treasure Island area. Their food is not spectacular, but it is reasonably priced, they're always busy, and always tasty. Enjoy your trip!

Ann Feb 25th, 2001 09:34 AM

I thought of it! The place in Clearwater Beach with the best grouper sandwiches is Frenchy's Cafe. It is worth a drive north to try them, but again, go early or go late because they get packed.

Joan Feb 25th, 2001 10:19 AM

Smitty: <BR>Yuck! Crabby Bill's is too much of a tourist trap. Guppy's is good, though. Also, try this place in St. Pete: Mid Peninsula Seafood. It is a funky place, half fish market, half restaurant, where you order at the counter, and sit at picnic tables. The shrimp is wonderful, and they have about 8 different kinds of local fish. Located on 49th Street and 4th Avenue South. Also, in Gulfport, try Backfin Blue, on Beach Drive in the little town of Gulfport. If you go on Friday, they have a cool gallery walk before or after you eat, Gulfport is a neat town stuck in the 60's, 10 minutes east from Treasure Island. (I am a local - I live on Treasure Island) <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR>Joan <BR> <BR>P.S. One more, right in Madeira Beach just north of John's Pass, a hole in the wall called Dockside Dave's. Try their grouper fritters, mmmm!

JC Feb 26th, 2001 05:33 AM

I can tell you that Shells has gone down hill badly from reports of folks who live in the TI area and eat there regularly. I can tell you Crabby Bill's is probably the worst place in the TI area I ever ate - rotten food, bad wine, you name it - more like a juvenile dining hall than a restaurant. I cannot believe anyone would recommend it. That place in Gulf Port has an extremely limited menu ... not much seafood (they have a website .. you can check that for yourself). The best place is Salt Rock Grill ... you'll want a reservation. And on 108th Avenue, a block off Gulf Blvd. in TI is the R Bar ... call them ... they serve crab legs (all you can eat on certain nights). Plain but terrific food. Arrive about 5:30 p.m. - they take not reservations. There are not a lot od good restaurants in the TI or STB area. I am still looking. Good luck.

T Feb 26th, 2001 06:32 AM

I have to agree about "Crappy" Bill's (as my mom calls it, and she doesn't swear). <BR> <BR>Dockside Dave's is a find----no airconditioning, but the freshest fish you can get (and sometimes a whiff of diesel fuel from the dock!) <BR> <BR>Also, a more upscale place is the Salt Rock Grille on Indian Rocks beach. Fancier preparations, but the fish is just as fresh and the dining room is pleasant. <BR> <BR>Further up the road (noth) is Guppy's, a smaller "Key West" style spot that has great fish specials and a cute atmosphere.

Smitty Feb 26th, 2001 09:06 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Does anyone know if Leverocks is any good-I found their web site & they have several locations.Also any reccommendations for cuban food in that area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help. Smitty

kim Feb 26th, 2001 09:50 AM

I have always heard good things about Johnny Leverocks. <BR> <BR>For cuban you could try the Columbia restaraunt at the Pier in St. Pete.

JC Feb 26th, 2001 10:11 AM

Smitty: There are several Leverocks ... the one on Corey Avenue in St. Pete Beach is supposedly okay. For a cuban place for lunch, you just cannot beat the Floriana for soup and sandwiches ... on 107th Avenue in Treasure Island, one block off Guld Blvd. For a bar that serves very good SW and Tex-Mex, try the place newt to Ricky T's (on Gulf Blvd. near 103rd ... across the street from a drug store). In Passe-Grille, which is a mile or so south of St. Pete Beach (consult a map), there is the Hurricane on the beach ... okay food. What you have to avoid are places catering just to tourists ... such as the Lobster Pot and the Wine Cellar. Both are horribly expensive for what they serve, and just second rate. There are places in the Village at Johns Pass ... perhaps someone could make a suggestion. Good luck.

Melinda Feb 26th, 2001 01:23 PM

I highly recommend Salt Rock Grill. I went there this year from reading reviews on this site but it is expensive and fancy and not what you were asking for. <BR> <BR>Leverocks does have good basic seafood at very reasonable prices. My parents live in St. Pete and they go there a lot.

JC Feb 26th, 2001 01:29 PM

Well, people go into Salt Rock Grill in shorts and pants, never a tie, and lots of families ... not sure what's so fancy about that. The entres run $12-$22 or so, about the norm for a better place. Includes great salad, etc. Wine prices are very reasonable. Do yourselves a favor and hit SRG one night ... it will be the best meal you have. Their food is grilled over oak, and the grouper, for example is the best I've eaten anywhere. Enjoy.

Sammy Feb 27th, 2001 05:22 PM

They've pretty much covered some of the ones I would have recommended...Salt Rock Grill...Guppies. I tended to frequent a place called Woodie's Waterfront (this place is just as you get into StPete from the north on Gulf blvd) ..great grouper and great smoked fish appetizer. Another place if you like smoked fish is Tom Peter's in Pasadena. If you like Cuban...and are downtown...don't can't miss Hildas..they had a little problem with the health dept last year..but I've heard it's ok now. There are a lot of good places downtown..Central Ave between 1st and 3rd.

Sammy Feb 27th, 2001 05:24 PM

One pizza place I forgot to mention..right across from the Reddington pier..(north of treasure island)...real small place..can't remember the name...but the best pizza I had while I was down there.

Melinda Feb 27th, 2001 05:35 PM

You are right JC about the Salt Rock not being that expensive. Our bill was crazy but we had two expensive bottles of wine and I had the pound and a half lobster tail..sorry if I gave anyone the wrong impression. My goof. It is inexpensive compared to most of our better restaurants here in Seattle.

joan Mar 1st, 2001 04:16 AM

Smitty: <BR> <BR>For Cuban, try the Floridian, as JC suggested. Always in search of great Cuban sandwiches, it remains my favorite (so glad since I live on TI) I still stand by the Backfin Blue (order the corn chowder, loaded with crabmeat!). JC - right again - menu is short - and sweet. <BR> <BR>And Salt Rock Grill is great, I would have recommended it except for your "Nothing fancy" requirement. It is definitely upscale. Not a shorts place, even though in Florida everyone wears them. More of a yuppie feel. <BR>Enjoy!

gina Mar 1st, 2001 01:59 PM

My fav is Leverocks-much better than the afore mentioned...

John Mar 4th, 2001 11:24 AM

Really enjoyed Frenchy's alot!!! The she-crab soup is awesome. And the grouper sandwich...one of the best I had on our whole 3 week Florida trip.... Shells & the Crabby place wasn't too good... I can make better at home!

JC Mar 5th, 2001 09:24 AM

Can you help me? Any good Thai, Vietname, Indian, Cambodian places near the beach? I'm heading down there at least once in the near future, and have never been able to find a good one. Many thanks.

Smitty Mar 6th, 2001 09:07 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We tried the Mid-Peninsula restaurant in St Pete-great grouper & wonderful beer battered onion rings-enough rinds for 6 people.The Floridan was also a good choice-yummy cuban sandwiches & good location. We went to Leverocks last night-not too good-wife said it was a notch below a Red Lobster.Seafood here really sucked....But will keep eating & will post new experiences...Bahama Breeze off the Courtney Campbell Causeway is a good place..

OliveOyl Mar 7th, 2001 03:29 AM

Smitty...If you are willing to travel as far as Bahama Breeze for seafood, you should give Oystercatchers a try. It is just down Courtney Campbell, next light, set back in Hyatt's property but away from the hotel, and located on the water looking toward Rocky Point. Very Florida-looking--all windows across the back overlooking the water, saltillo tile floors. Check it out in Zagat's--it's got a great rating. Wonderful fresh seafood. Reservations required. Business casual most common dress. <BR> <BR>My husband runs the Hyatt, (my disclaimer :&gt;) but not the reason for my recommendation in the least, as the restaurant is always busy, but truly, it's the best seafood I've found in the area, where restaurants are, for the most part, somewhat disappointing. Agree with you regarding Leverocks, by the way. *Very* mediocre. Will have to try Floridian--it's been mentioned before by a good friend. We keep a boat out that way and are always looking for good food in that vicinity to take out with us....and looking...and looking... <BR> <BR>If you are up for a more formal atmosphere, the formal dining room at the Don CeSar has a great reputation as well.