St Patty's Day in Savannah?

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Patty's Day in Savannah?

A group of us are heading from Tampa to Savannah for the St Patty's Day party.

Can someone give me some ideas as to where we should stay so we are close to all the fun.

Thanks

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM

If you don't have reservations already, good luck trying to book a hotel room in the historic district. When I checked for a business trip recently for the preceding week, the hotel room went from $141 to $270 from Thursday to Friday. I was surprised to find any rooms available at all - and this was a couple of weeks ago.

If you are driving, you may find accomodations in the Midtown area of Abercorn - but it will still be pricey.

You could try vrbo.com since there is "a group of us".
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
GoTravel

I've done St. Patricks in Savannah many times and here are my two cents.

St. Patricks kinda falls on a weekend (Friday) so the city will be more packed than normal.

If you are drinking, don't even think about staying outside of town. You'll go to jail faster than you can pray to St. Patrick.

Also, you'll never find a cab.

If you aren't drinking and want to stay out of town; Hardeville.

Staying in town, firstly, try and get a room at The Hyatt. Then try The Marriott and the Westin. The Hilton may also be a good bet.

Plan on paying around $300 per night for your room.

Wear fun stuff. Tiaras, boas, green clothes, green metallic hats, etc. Lots of buttons.

Don't flash anyone for any reason even if they beg or you will be spending the weekend inside a jail cell. Plain clothed police officers will try and get you to flash anyway they can.

If it isn't police officer begging, there is one watching you.

Go see Lady Chablis at Club Zero (or Club One, I can never remember). It's fun.

Get a good seat for the parade. It lasts for hours. Literally. The bag pipes always make me cry.

Takes lots of beads to trade and give away.

Most importantly, have fun. This isn't the way you want to remember Savannah but it is a good, fun, drunken time.

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:57 PM

I've always wondered - why such a big St. Pat's Day celebration in Savannah?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:58 PM

I've heard that it's the second largest (second to NYC).

Not sure why...
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:01 PM

winniepeg, check out this website -
http://www.savannahga.gov/cityweb/stpat/faqs.html
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:06 AM
GoTravel

Because Savannah has a such Irish roots.

They have the oldest private parade in the country.

I think Savannah is only second to Chicago.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:20 AM

I'll tell you, living there downtown I hated that day more than any day of the year!! It is a zoo. Heaven forbid you should need to get in or out of downtown for the entire duration of the parade! We had all our security, plus hired off duty police, and required wristbands for entrance to the hotel. Did they make tons on that weekend. Absolutely, but I can't say it was worth the wear and tear.

Our son, home from college on Spring Break our first year there commented that it was the first time he'd ever seen adults drunker than kids in the dorm on a Saturday night, a remark that rung a bell from my own college days!

AND...I will never forget the tragedy of a young college freshman sitting on the railing along the river and falling backwards, hitting his head on the way down evidently. From my living room window, I saw the frantic search immediately after his fall. His body was found 3 days later. His birthday was the day after St Patty's, March 18, same as mine.

Be safe, but if you really want to see and enjoy Savannah, that is NOT the time to go!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:35 AM

Oh, Malesherbes! Are you living in Texas now? If so, I am soooo glad you are posting on this board!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help!

More input will be greatly appreciated!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Yep, I yam a Texan now...again. Thank you Starrsville.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:59 AM

Glad to know you are here!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM

Oh Winnepeg...I had a thought about how to describe St Patricks Day tailor-made for you! It is Ybor during Gasparilla without the fun of the pirate invasion. Perfect translation! LOL
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Malesherbes,

We just got done with Gasparilla. Had as blast.

Proud of myself. Started with the adult beverages at 9AM and finished at a great Irish bar in South Tampa around 2AM the next day.

Didn't do the nap like I thought for sure I would. Not bad for a 45 year old!

Now it's time for us to conquer Savannah

Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM

MacDintons on SoHo?

If you had napped, you'd have been finished. It sounds as if the pump is primed for St Patty's then.

If St Patty's is Friday, you'll find most everything downtown will have either a 2 or 3 day minimum stay (normally 3) and it will command absolute top dollar, if there's anything left at all.

Your alternatives are mid-town as some have said, or one of the hotels out by the airport, or possibly Tybee, 20 minutes from downtown. Hurry hurry though, as they will all go fast.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM

Hubby and I were going to go again this year, but can't find a room. We went last year and had a blast! You will love it, Savannah's so pretty.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM

Savannah's version of MacDintons is Kevin Barry's, Winnepeg. You'll find it on River St, up river a bit from the Hyatt.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
GoTravel

Both The River Street Inn ($299 per night) and the Days Inn on Bay Street ($320 per night) have availability.

Both would be good simply because of bathroom privledges.

It will keep you out of the porta potties and you can fix a drink from your room.

Most hotels have followed the Hyatt's lead and will not let you in the door unless you are a paying guest and you must wear a bracelet. Managers ride the elevators to keep non guests out.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:18 AM
GoTravel

The Hyatt is also showing availability on its website. Rooms start at $355 per night. Well worth the price.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM

Days Inn for $320??? OMG. That's actually funny!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -