Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

St. Patricks Week in Charleston SC & Savannah Georgia.

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

I have a choice to be in Savannah and Charleston from March 15 to March 19th 2020. This is right in the middle of St. Patrick festival in Savannah and then St. Patrick day in Charleston. I was wondering if anyone had been there at that time of year for that holiday. Will it be more crowded, will I not see the southern charm because of the holiday. I could instead, be there from Mar. 9th to the 12th. Would that be better?
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 05:10 PM

We go often for St Patrick's in Savannah. I stopped going for a couple of years as the weekend is crazy crowded but this year it is on a Tuesday so four of us are going. We are staying Monday, Tuesday and Wed night. We always get a hotel on the parade route. Super nice for getting chairs set up and when you need to refill that class and do bathroom runs. The 15th is a Sunday night and they will be in party mode. Just make reservations for dinner. We need to do that asap. Monday night is always fun as the pipe bands are in town and they hit all the bars. Just a fun time. People come from all over for the parade, to watch and be in the parade. It runs about three hours.

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 04:41 AM

You have a first hand account of the good and the "bad". The hotel rates will be crazy also if that is a factor.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gretchen & Macross. You both have answered my question. Because I have the choice, I think I will switch my plans and go a week before. My husband and I are really not parade goers. Thanks