St Patrick's Day Visit

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

St Patrick's Day Visit

I plan to see the parade on Saturday. Are there any good taverns/bars to have green beer at? Where are some fun festive places?
Also, what resturants have the best burgers?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention, I will be visiting Chicago!
Any ideas?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:18 AM

Go to Metromix.com--they have a whole page devoted to St. Patty's day and a link to a list of Irish pubs/restaurants. I made the trip to Chicago for St. Patty's day a few years ago and had a blast! We ate lunch at The Irish Oak--it was great! They had a lot of Irish specialties (Shepard's Pie, Corned Beef and Cabbage) but beware--they got crowded very early. We had some drinks at Kelly's on the Green afterward--very relaxed atmosphere--not really authentic Irish, but we had fun!

Enjoy!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:22 PM

do they still dye the Chicago River green on St. Pat's? A great town to be Irish whether for life or for a day.

I had a great time years ago at the Berghoff which was very Irish for that day. Don't consider it a recommendation though, I do not know if it even still exists, but knowing Chicago, I imagine it does.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:20 PM

I would suggest a number of activities for the weekend, including:

party at Navy Pier on the 14th, the Young Irish Fellowship Club puts on a massive party with bands, drinks and lots and lots of 20 and 30 somethings. A very good time;

Irish pubs a plenty, including, Fado, Celtic Crossing, Lizzie McNeil's, Emmitt's, Kitty O'Shea's, Fitzer's all near downtown, just to name a few, where you can get a good Guinness and good music.

The parade downtown on Saturday, before which they do dye the river green, the parade on the South Side on Sunday, in which I will be marching.

Need more ideas, there is lots of activities, music, dancing and of course drinking at the Irish American Heritage Center on the North Side or at Gaelic Park on the South.

Need still more ideas, write back.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:55 PM

FYI: It's St. Paddy, not Patty.