Search

St Michael's or outer banks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Michael's or outer banks

Hi,
I'm trying to plan a trip for my sisters this June 26-29 in either St. Michael's (Or Tilghman island) or the Outer Banks. St. Michael's would be quicker for us to get to (3 of us are from Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany, NY), and would be cheaper in the long run (no connecting flights), but guess we wouldn't get the benefit of the beach. I also read another thread that said St. Michael's was over-rated. We like to shop, eat, and relax, and it would be nice to be able to swim, 'cause we don't want to be too hot.
Any thoughts?
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:02 PM

St. Michael's is indeed overrated. We still joke about an overpriced breakfast there several years ago. Left town before lunch...

Outer Banks is great--you'll love the beach. The drive is a drag, but worth it...
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:41 PM

I am one of the folks who thinks St Michael's is overrated..haven't been to the outer banks but think it might be more in keeping with what you're looking for.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Much more to do in St. Michael's. Very few shops or restaurants in Outer Banks. Other than the beach, it's not particularly charming either.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:02 PM

Sister H:
I have been to both and if I were hanging out with my sisters, I'd prefer the Outer Banks. However, Long Beach Island on the NJ coast is similar to OBX; have you considered it? You could fly into Newark or Philly and get a car (or the drive from Albany or Syracuse would be about 6 -7 hrs).
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the messages. Jeanne, I had thought of Long beach Island but didn't pursue it for some reason...guess I didn't sense a lot of interest from the other sisters. Also, our cousin is driving from D.C., so I guess we were thinking more south. Might think about the possibility though. Do you have suggestions on places to stay?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Cassandra

You might also consider the Rehoboth/Bethany beach area, or my personal favorite, the Wilmington/Wrightsville beach area -- in terms of drive time from DC, it looks further than OBX but because it's all interstate (much of route to OBX is small roads), it's really not -- and you don't have the gawdoffal congestion on the bridges over to the islands.

St. Michael's is a nice day trip from DC but hardly a destination from where you're coming from.

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:12 AM

St. Michaels w/ a date, the Outer Banks definitely w/ your sisters. Beach, nice drives, kick back atmosphere, outlets if you are so inclined (nice Coach and Polo stores), and our favorite restaurant, The Blue Point, in Duck if you call ahead for reservations.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:21 AM
LN

Hi

St Michaels is a lovely little town that you could stop and visit on your way to the beach (Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany, or Ocean City MD). They are all truly great beaches and much closer than Outer Banks for you in NY. You could probably get good flights from NY into BWI (Baltimore) and be across and at the beach in 2 hours. I wouldn't give up on your original idea - I think I'd just expand it to include the eastrn shore. There's great outlet shopping at the beach, tons of condos and hotels to stay at, and all of you might really enjoy it.

Outer Banks is a great place too - and I would always recommend it but it is farther.
have a great time!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:10 AM

As a quick observation, though I dearly love Rehoboth Beach, the beach there has become quite sad. There are times when it virtually disappears. We still try to get down there a couple of times a year (we love the area) but if the beach is truly important, Rehoboth itself just doesn't have it.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:32 AM

The Outer Banks is a great place. They have a little bit of everything there. The area is not too commercial (like Myrtle Beach) Also if you need a place to stay for a group of people you might try a cottage. THere's a good one online at www.peglegpelican.com
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Regarding Long Beach Island (LBI), I would recommend that you contact Oceanside Realty. THeir web site is lbirealty.com. they have a number of properties for rental, and I think would do a good job of helping you find what you would like in your price range. The drive for your DC sister would probably be 3-4 hours. It may be a little too cold to go in the ocean in late June, but definitely there are plenty of people who do, and lots of ones who sit out in the sun on the beach.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to help.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU for all your suggestions. We've decided on OBX...maybe Rehobeth next year? Most of us are flying to Norfolk and our D.C. cous is going to drive us all down. I researched places to stay for quite awhile...have settled on the Hampton INN suites in Corolla...we can all fit in one suite and "I think" it sounds nice..plus the area seems good for us.
Doots...hope to try the Blue Point. Any other restaurant suggestions? I'd like to find some "fresh catch" places or others, where you pay for the food, not necessarily the atmosphere.

THanks again!!!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:08 PM

I was in St. Michael's last weekend and it merits a couple of hours, but probably not more than that; I think it could be a detour on your way to the Delaware shore. I'm partial to Bethany, since it's a lot less touristy. However, that said, school will be out and it will be overrun with families.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:15 AM

I was going to also suggest Bethany Beach or Cape May....but you have already decided on OBX! which is a great choice as well...

I've spent many summers on the outer banks, last summer we were in corolla. We rented a beach house and cooked in most nights...but we drove south to nags head (or was it kill devil hills??) to eat at dirty dicks for the "holy" TRINITY! mouth watering here...it's a large boat filled with either alaskan or dungenese crab legs, steamed shrimp and steamed clams for two. I think it also comes with corn on the cob and something else that I'm forgetting...it's well worth the drive!

have a blast!

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Brutforce

No contest - OBX..