St. Louis Zoo

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Louis Zoo

Going to St. Louis and then Chicago for a few days, third week of May. Which zoo would you choose between the two cities? Are the Great Apes all settled in? I think both Lincoln Park and St. Louis were remodeling their habitats. Both of us are adults so we aren't interested in kiddie zoo attractions. Would like to see unique settings.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Lincoln Park Zoo had some trouble with their ape house; I wouldn't count on it being open in May. (Even if the animals are moved in, the keepers often restrict visitors until everyone settles in.) There is no posted opening for the new ape house on lpzoo.org

Between the two zoos, I think the setting of St, Louis' is slightly superior; it's in a park which dates from the World's Fair. They have a great bird house there. But Lincoln Park Zoo is also very attractive, and it is so well-located that you can easily stop by for just a quick visit. The zoo that has the most unique exhibits would be Brookfield, near the western boundary of Chicago. They have a marine show, a rainforest habitat, and a number of other large scale exhibits that are not possible at LP zoo.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Instead of the zoo in St. Louis, you might look at the Missouri Botanical Garden http://www.mobot.org/

Keith
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I have to second Keith's suggestion of the Missouri Botanical Gardens. My husband and traveled to St. Louis in early April this year for the first time. We were disappointed with the St. Louis Zoo (except Penguin and Puffin Coast) but were AMAZED at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. What an amazing day we spent wondering through the large gardens. It was a site to remember for a long time.
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:28 AM

I'm not sure about the Ape house. Last time I was there (around Christmas for the light display) I think it was still under construction. However, there are many other great features to the zoo, including a really great area called The Riverwalk. The zoo is located in Forest Park and there are numerous other attractions to visit there as well. Another bonus to the St. Louis Zoo: its free. Parking is kind of expensive (for the area) but you can usually find a spot along the street for free and walk to one of the many entrances.

I have to agree with the other postings: the Botanical Gardens are absolutely splendid. Definitely worth some time, and not really too far from the Zoo.