Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   St Louis to Chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/st-louis-to-chicago-435253/)

Charley1965 May 25th, 2004 03:11 AM

St Louis to Chicago

Hi, we are travelling from New Orleans to Chicago in June via Memphis and St Louis. I would like to know whether St Louis to Chicago is feasible to drive in one day or are we being too ambitious? Thanks in advance.

simpsonc510 May 25th, 2004 03:30 AM

Yes, you can drive from St Louis to Chicago in a day. No problem!

PaulRabe May 25th, 2004 03:31 AM

Mapquest.Com tells me that it's 294 miles between these two cities, 287 of which are on Interstate 55. It states it will take 4.5 hours of driving to make the trip. I think you will have little trouble doing so in a day, even if it won't be the most exciting drive you ever take.

Charley1965 May 25th, 2004 04:58 AM

That's great thanks. We did consider not going on the Interstate, but I think we will just want to get to Chicago as quickly as possible. We can make an early start and be in Chicago by lunchtime. Thanks for your help.

missypie May 25th, 2004 06:13 AM

If you want to take a bit of time, exit in Springfield IL and see Lincoln's Home. Also, just a few blocks away is a terrific, fully furnished Frank Lloyd Wright home that is open to the public.

If you get hungry, stop at the Dixie truck stop...I believe it is north of Springfield. It's a remnant of old Route 66 (part of the highway from St. Louis to Chicago follows old route 66.)

Keith May 25th, 2004 06:51 AM

Or stop in Bloomington and visit the Beer Nuts plant and Outlet Shoppes:-)

Keith

Idnas71 May 25th, 2004 07:04 AM

I think it's more like a six-hour drive from St. Louis. Have done it a couple different times... speed limits are a little lower in Illinois, I believe.

rkkwan May 25th, 2004 03:32 PM

Rural speed limit is 65MPH in IL. Traffic is usually pretty light once you cross the bridge into IL, and until you hit I-80 near Chicago.

Unless you hit rush hour going into Chicago, which you shouldn't, there's no reason why it'd take 6 hours.

Carol47 May 25th, 2004 05:27 PM

I live on the IL side of St. Louis and drive to Chi. often. It takes me 4 hours to the burbs. Depending on where you are staying in St. L. and construction, it should only take you 4-4 1/2 hours. If you are going downtown Chi. it may take you a bit longer, but not 6 hours. I think you can check IDOT.com and see if there is any construction on I55 or I80.

Charley1965 May 26th, 2004 03:37 AM

Thanks for your replies. I think we'll leave VERY early to make sure we're there by lunchtime! Also, to sort of backtrack a little...we are only staying in St Louis for one night, what shouldn't we miss while we are there and what is the best area to stay in? Thanks

SharonNRayMc May 28th, 2004 06:52 PM

I've been through St.Louis many times. I think it's nice to stop by the Arch. There is a tremendous museum in the bottom of the Arch and you can ride to the top. There is also a nice area to walk along the Mississippi in the parks around the Arch. It's fun to watch the river traffic and tugboats.

Maybe someone from St. Louis or someone who has made St. Louis a destination can help further.

- Sharon

Charley1965 Jun 25th, 2004 07:19 AM

We ended up staying in St. Louis for two nights as we liked it so much. Stayed at the Hampton Inn and went to The Arch, the Zoo and a walk around the town in the day time and the cobblestone area(name escapes me)in the evening. Took us 5 hours in full to reach Chicago from St, Louis.