St. Louis/St. Charles Restaurants & Hotels

Jul 12th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

St. Louis/St. Charles Restaurants & Hotels

Three of us "girls" will be in St. Louis next week for two or three days. We will be on our way back home to Louisville from Hannibal, MO. We'd appreciate some suggestions on places to stay in St. Louis or St. Charles. Also casual restaurants. We'd like to visit St. Charles, Union Station, the Arch, the Hill, etc. Since I've been there before, they expect me to be the tour guide. Help!
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Check out biddingfortravel.com and see what Priceline has been getting in downtown STL. Staying down there would give you great access to the places you mentioned.
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Maybe you could pinpoint an area you would like to stay in. A good central area would be Clayton area.
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Restaurants on the hill would be -- Zia's, Rigazzi's, - these are both casual.
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Restaurant in St. Charles--Lewis and Clarks right near the river and across from the First State Capital
Jul 12th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Would Sunday be an all right day to tour the shops in old St. Charles? Are they and the restaurants open on Sunday afternoons?
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:08 AM

I would definitely visit the Hill for great restaurants. My favorites are Favazzas and Zias. There are also some great restaurants downtown, including Charlie Gitto's.

You would probably be better off staying downtown, although prices could be cheaper if you stayed outside the city. If you do stay downtown, you may want to check out the Drury Plaza, the Hyatt (at Union Station), and the Westin (although more expensive), although there are plenty more. Do a search on Priceline, Orbitz or Travelocity.

Union Station is fun for visitors, but its definitely geared towards tourists, and most of the shops are souvenir shops. Landrys is good if you like seafood, but the other restaurants you can find elsewhere in the area.

Good luck!
Tracy
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

How can I find out if the shops and restaurants in St. Charles are open on Sundays? I sure don't want to bring the other ladies there and find the streets deserted!
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Things in St. Charles will be open on Sunday until about 5. The historic area is all tourism related, so Sundays are are a big day

http://www.historicstcharles.com/default.html
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Priceline, Orbitz or Travelocity don't seem to work if you want a room with a sleeper sofa.... There's no way to specify that one! It's hard with three people. Two would be easy.

I thought I might try the St. Charles area for the first night. Everything downtown is very expensive.
Jul 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Have you considered maybe staying at a place like Extended StayAmerica or Homewood Suites. These usually have little kitchenettes but they will also have the sleeper sofa you want. There are plenty in the suburbs around St. Louis and they are usually pretty inexpensive.

I also forgot to mention in my post above that for restaurants you should also check out Lafayette Square. Its a neat neighborhood in the city that is full of restored victorian "painted lady" houses and great restaurans. My favorite is Arcelia's, a small Mexican restaurant that has wonderful food at great prices. Another fun place, right down the street, is the Chocolate Bar. They handmake their chocolates, and have a wonderful selection of deserts, shakes, and drinks all in a very neat atmosphere. The deserts are kind of expensive but big enough to share, and definitely worth it!
Jul 16th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Another good restaurant in downtown St. Charles is Trailhead brewery, they have great food and they have several different varities of beer that they make on the premise. A hotel that I would recommend is Towneplace Suites by Marriott in St. Charles or StudioPlus in Earth City, which is just across the bridge from St. Charles. I live in St. Charles, so if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Cathy