Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

St Louis Missouri GTG and questions (Faina)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far no questions yet, just the GTG.

I will fly in for a week with Elderhostel and stay after that, my air reservation is for October 14 Sunday through October 23 Tuesday.

What day/time is more convenient for you, guys, who will join the GTG, I will try to plan around it. The program will be Sun-Fri morning, the rest is on my own.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

I am trying to understand the public transportation.

Are MetroBus, MetroLink, Metro, MetroRide all subdivisions of one system? Will one-day or one-week pass work on all of them?

Are there 3-day or 5-day passes? I see only 1-day and 1-week. Also, one-week pass, is it starting on Monday, or on any day I validate it?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Also, what is the "tram to the top of the Arch"? Like a monorail? Is there an elevator I can take if the ride looks scary?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Hi Faina. I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help to you. Just wanted to ask, did you know your post is not connected to the Missouri search?

I have gone to the top of the arch once and the tram ride was not a problem. the cars are pretty small but otherwise I don't know what one would have a problem with...are you claustrophobic? There is not another way to get to the top. Here is a picture of the car and explanation of its workings...scroll way down to see it www.search.com/reference/Elevator Feels sort of like being on a ferris wheel, except totally enclosed. You can enjoy the museum and info displays without going up in the arch. In my opinion the view is not worth the time and cost, but the experience of going up was interesting. That is probably a minority opinion.

I am just curious what Elderhostel program you are doing?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Program # 15415 RJ October 14-19 Cultural and Fine Arts.

I don't know for sure which museums, so we're staying a couple of days after the program to visit the places missed by the program.

As for the Arch... in another thread I was advised, it's only 1,000 stairs climbing Oh, well, I guess I'll see while there.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
yk

To get to the top of the Arch, one rides the "Tram". It is more like a small capsule (sits 5, very snuggly) that accends the arch - part like escalaltor, part like elevator. Can be quite claustrophobic; and smelly in the summer if your "trammate" happens to have BO!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Faina, I hope you enjoy your trip to St Louis. I'm sure the tram in the Arch will be fine. Let us know all about it when you do your trip report
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

YK, my trammate is a very clean Fodorite, and it will help - she's a nurse!

Aloha, sure, one thing about me will never change - I love to write reports!

We will stay at Drury Union Station, for the 2nd 1/2 of the trip I'd like to move maybe to the Arch area, what about the other Drury, looks good and inexpensive.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Count me in for a GTG!!!

There are a few who live in the area, but I dont think they are regular to the site.

I will not be much help as far as the metrolink questions.... Parts of it are very new and very nice and clean.

You my want to consider staying near Forest Park at a brand new Hampton Inn. YOu will be near several museums,the zoo, the park itself which offers so much - bike rentals, rentals of paddle boats to explore teh little canals of the park - there is a boat house restaurant that is great fun. There is music and fire pits if it si chilly outside.
I will give some more thought to yoru question about a hotel near the arch and get back to you.

Glad you are coming!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Faina - R E D A L E R T!

It appears that annesherrod will be attending your GTG. Keep a watchful eye on her! :-B

Several months back she was spotted in downtown Austin, and you should have seen the headlines the next day! A wild one, she is! >

Don't say I didn't warn you!

(P.S. hi annesherrod )
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:58 AM

FainaAgain:

Have a look on www.metrostlouis.org for the train/bus system. The train does have a Ride Free Zone between Union station and Arch-Laclede's landing Monday thru Friday 11:30 am to 1:30 pm. We often use the metro train for transport from the Illinois Side to the airport and it works quite well.

More information at www.explorestlouis.com and www.stlouisarch.com

October can be lovely in St. Louis.

Sandy
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 05:06 AM

Hello, If you are going to be in St Louis, you have togo to the Arch. I visit their often as I have relatives there. There is a nice museum in the bottom area of the Arch (underground). You could spend an hour before the trip to the top.

There are schedules times for the trams (or elelvators) up to the top of the Arch. It is a space they have to monitor since it is not huge, so they control the occupancy with scheduled rides up. Also, it takes time to get to the top-maybe a couple minutes. I would check the schedule and even make a reservation for the preferred time. Try the day before. http://www.gatewayarch.com/Arch/

There is an area within walking distance called Lacleds's Landing. http://www.slfp.com/LacledesLanding.htmYou can find a place to eat and drink there.

I am not good with the Bus System. They did put in a light rail that drops off near Lacledes. If it goes to either the Botanical Gardens or the Museum's at Forest park, I would suggest that. But it is unlikely.

Oh! If you will be downtown, you must go to the City Museum. It is open day and night. At night it turns into a bar. During the day, it is hard to discribe. The building it decorated with plans, buses, metal, historical building peices and it is also a jungle jim. You will spend minimum of 2 hours there, I stayed 4. Don't go to the aquarium they have.... it is not good. It also smells in the aquarium. http://www.citymuseum.org/home.asp

I hope this post helps.

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Hi Kopp!! LOL - I think I had a tire iron in my hands and it is documented by a photograph!! I have been thinking of you - hoping you are OK with all of your rain down there!!

Faina - I think there are 2 Hiltons downtown - one is very new - and maybe you coud find a good deal on it.

You can email me directly too if you would like - annesherrodathotmail.com

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Where are you Faina- traveling the world over??!!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry, I usually use computer Mon-Fri only, and now waiting for the Fodorite I'll be traveling with to pick a post-EH hotel, she's traveling this week.

We'll stay in Drury Union for starters, visiting museums with ElderHostel. After that... who knows! Of course the arch, and a boat tour, maybe more then one, and the Holocaust museum and the play in the Jewish theater... maybe the brewery tour?

Oh, this is what I need to ask you: are there any tours to take us out of the city? Like GrayLine, only out of the city? I can't find any on the internet. It can't be there is nothing to see in MO except St Louis
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Interesting question ,..... Yes there are things to see but I do not know of a "tour". Let me ask around.

Do you like corn fields??? Just kidding!

I will give it some thought?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes, please give it some thoughts

You know, the same happened in Chicago - couldn't find a tour out of the city. At the same time, plenty in SF, LA, Seattle... must be the east-west difference
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM

One thing that comes to mind is Springfield, Il - Lincoln's Home. The new Lincoln library, His home and law office are able to be toured and his burial place is one of them most visited graves in the country.
Also see
New Salem - A pioneer village he lived in when he was young. It is very beautiful!
It is about 2 hours northeast of STL. There must be tours there from here. I will see what I can come up with.

If you like active things to do - there are amazing bike trails, rivers, etc explore.
Three is an Amish country about 45 min away as well.

STL is a big sports town- look into going to a game while here too.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM

We also have a wine country but since you live near Napa etc - it wont hold a candle to it!!

At one time MO was the largest wine producing stgate in the country!!! Some vinyards overlook the bluffs of the MO river and are beautiful in the fall!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Oh, Anne, I would like to take a wine tour - to compare!

I also saw a chocoholic tour, but checking the list of places they stop at - just going from store to store to store... no, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -