St. Joseph or South Haven

Mar 1st, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster
St. Joseph or South Haven

My wife and I are driving cross country starting sunday from New York to Seattle.
The first day we plan on stopping somewhere b/w Toledo Ohio and South Bend.
Is it worth driving up to St.Josephs or South Haven for the night, or is there another town we should consider?
Mar 1st, 2005, 07:55 AM
If it's just for one night, why not just stay in South Bend. We stopped there last year to check out Notre Dame's campus. It's not a bad little town and the campus is very nice.
Mar 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM
It's cold and snowy here in MI right now, and those towns seem like they're more summer towns. I would guess a fair amount of their appeal would be lost this time of year, especially just staying one night, and a Sunday at that.
Mar 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM
South Bend would be a better choice this time of year and you could visit the Notre Dame or the Football Hall of Fame. St. Joseph is snowed in today (literally) and there's not much going on in the winter time - but a real good choice for summer, as is South Haven. However, another alternative would be Shipshewana (exit 121 off the I80/90 toll road) or Middlebury (exit 107). Try for more info. They both offer lots of local Amish stores, crafts, and accommodations. Shipshewana is in the process of building (rebuilding because it burned down) the largest commercial timber-framed building in the Midwest. Expect lots of horse and buggies and be sure to look out for "road apples". There are lots of links on the web, but I would be happy to provide any specific information you may want. If I was just staying for one night, I would stay at the Essenhaus in Middlebury. The restaurant will be closed on Sunday for dinner, but open early Monday for breakfast to get you going. You won't regret staying there.

Search this Thread