Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

St. Gregory's Suites or Embassy Suites Downtown

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in DC for 3 weeks. Which is nicer the St.Gregory or Embassy Suites? Which one is safer? The nicer room? Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:21 PM

I work in that area and have no occasion to see guest rooms, so I can't help you with that.
However, the StGreg (21st and M) is newer and probably a bit nicer, business class; Emb Suites (22d btw M and N) has an indoor pool and is popular with families. The two are just a block apart in a safe business-residential neighborhood, convenient (about 4 blocks) to Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom metro stations. Enjoy your stay.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 02:13 PM

I believe the Embassy Sqaure Suites is closed.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Embassy Square (20th and N) is indeed closed, but Embassy Suites (22nd and N) is open. Very confusing to have two similarly named hotels just two blocks apart, but I think Emb Square is gone for good -- let's hope that the place gets a very different name after its renovation.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 01:20 PM

I realized my mistake yesterday since I walked by both hotels. Sorry about that.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:04 PM

The St. Gregory is a very nice, upscale hotel. I don't know if it could accurately be described as a "boutique" hotel, but it's certainly that general style.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:10 PM

I spent a week at the Homewood Suites hotel, 15 th and Mass. Very nice, two room suite with small kitchen. Free full breakfast seven days a week and a lite but satisfying dinner (free) Monday to hThursday. Nice not having to find a resturant after sightseeing all day. Very nice competent staff too.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at the St. Gregory's. Thanks for everyone's help. I will post my view's on the St. Gregory's hotel. My husbands cowork is staying at the Embassy Suites so I will post something about both hotels. Thanks again
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for everyone's help. I am back from the St. Gregory's. It was very nice; the person who wrote it is like a boutique hotel is correct. It doesn't have free breakfast but it is very nice. My only complaint is that the walls are quite thin, meaning you hear some noise. Anyway my husbands coworker stayed at the Embassy Suites and the free cocktail hour seems nice but the rooms aren't as nicely appointed as the St. Gregory's. Both are about the same walk to the Metro. I would say Embassy Suites is better for family's due to the free breakfast and swimming pool and the St. Greg is nice of people who want privacy and don't want to be around kids.

I noticed P Street is seedy. I also notice the Radisson Barcelo is on P. I was by myself seeing the sights while the hubby worked so I tried to avoid the Dupont Circle CVS and P street. I hope that helped.
Enjoy DC.
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:23 PM

It's always interesting to see what people consider as "seedy." I don't consider P Street as "seedy," given it contains some of DC's most sought after restaurants (Gabriels, Pesce, Johnny's Half Shell). It is, however, "urban" and for people not used to urban neighborhoods, I can see how people would be put off. There are homeless people, it is a busy street, and P Street also is populated by a number of gay bars.
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I didn't plan on offending anyone. We ate at Johnny's, Pizzeria Paradisio, and a few times at Al Tiramiu. On one occasion some guy threw a bottle at two women by themselves and once I was alone a a guy followed me so I ducked into the little grocery store. I think Dupont Circle past P street is great! You are right there are some pretty yummy places on P street, just warning single women walking alone to be on alert.
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:21 PM

You didn't offend, it was just an interesting observation. The irony is that it is actually an incredibly safe neighborhood. There are a lot of homeless, who are actually quite harmless, but understandably create anxiety. It is a very low crime are--as are almost all areas tourists go in DC--but I do understand why people would find it disconcerting if they don't spend a lot of time in non-tourist or business neighborhoods in big cities.