Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   St. Elmo B&B -- Ouray Colorado Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/st-elmo-b-and-b-ouray-colorado-trip-report-625822/)

DebitNM Jun 23rd, 2006 08:37 AM

St. Elmo B&B -- Ouray Colorado Trip Report

We stayed at St. Elmo last week. We spent one night for a "getaway" from home. We got there around 1 pm and were given our room key and told to "go on up". We were pleased, as we thought we would have to wait until check-in time. We had a deluxe room, {#4] which is their lowest priced room. It was lovely! A little sitting area and a nice queen size bed. The bathroom was nice with a little basket of toiletries. The windows were on the side of the building but towards the front/street side. The B&B is on the main street, RT 550 which is a pretty busy road, but were slept with the windows open and really were not disturbed by street noise. There is no air conditioning, but each room has a fan. We did use that, so maybe that is why we didn't hear any noise!

All of the doors to the unoccupied rooms were open, so we took a peak. The rooms that 2 sleeping areas didn't have much [if any] privacy, so beware. The two nicest rooms were ours #4 and a similar one downstairs #1 [this one is nearer to office and public areas, so take that into mind. It is further from street noise though.

They have free cocktail hour where they have wine and some little munchies. It was a chance to meet some of the other guests, which we enjoyed.

Breakfast is included and they have all the standards and they cook to order a hot entree. There isn't a choice but I think they vary it each day.

Last thing...somehow I managed to leave a shirt in the room. [I didn't even realize it was missing.] Yesterday, I got a package from St. Elmo...with my shirt inside. WOW! I was very impressed. SO -- I give St. Elmo a big thumbs up!

We had dinner at TUNDRA in the Beaumont Hotel. We ate outside and everything was excellent.

We went to the town pool, which is fed by hot springs. Really nice...hot and soothing. I am not sure it was worth the $8 each they charge. You can only sit there so long. They have different sections that are different temperatures which helps. I think the hot tub at St. Elmos would have been almost as nice.

Went up to Box Canyon Falls. It was amazing! There are 2 ways to walk...be aware that if you choose to go up to the top...it is pretty strenuous. The walk to the bottom was easier and really something else. We did the top first[where it was hot and sunny], the we did the bottom [which was cool, misty and shady].

Hope this helps....
Debi

LvSun Jun 23rd, 2006 10:34 AM

Thanks for the report. We stopped in Ouray on Monday and did the Box Canyon tour. It is really neat. Yes, the hike to the top took some breath - high altitude did not help things.

Did you drive toward Silverton? The scenery there is the most gorgeous I have ever seen. Did you drive from Ridgway to Ouray? Part of that drive scared me silly.

DebitNM Jul 1st, 2006 04:49 PM

~~~topping for clk~~~~

DebitNM Jul 25th, 2006 06:09 AM

~~~ttt~~~~

DebitNM Aug 13th, 2006 05:24 PM

Topping for Kassanna!

Debi

DebitNM Aug 15th, 2006 02:59 PM

Topping for lisabobbi!