Highlights of Monterrey to Big Sur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First timer to visit California. What would you NOT miss if you arrived in Monterrey and drove to Big Sur? We love wine, hiking, ocean, sealife, and the beauty of the area. Definitely outdoor people. Would love suggestions, words of wisdom. Also we enjoy cooking on travel. We are arriving in late May. Are there farmers markets in the area? Where to buy fresh fish? Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
My "not miss" = Nepenthe. I stop every time and just soak in the view while enjoying lunch. http://www.nepenthebigsur.com

Of course the 17 mile drive and Point Lobos State Park are wonderful. But honestly, after years of going out there and doing the drive (since the late 80s) my favorite visit was when I stopped and spent the night in Carmel. I found the town enchanting. I took the walking tour of the Comstock cottages. And I just LOVED walking to the beach for sunset at the end of the day. Went back to watch the dogs play on Dog Beach the next day too. I'd been in Carmel several times for dinner, but fell under its spell when I spent the night there. The Cypress Inn was my destination but I changed the trip plan to spend another night in Carmel.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:09 AM

http://www.montereybayfarmers.org/

I've seen fish and oyster vendors at the market at Monterey Peninsula College.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

That is a great website. Thanks for the answer on the markets/fish.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 08:55 AM

You should not miss reading these two threads:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-part-way.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...oma-and-sf.cfm
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Those links were amazing. The information, the pictures...I can't wait. The Nepenthe looks like it has a great view. Someone else mentioned Rocky Point restaurant for a great view also. If you can think of anything else let me know. We will be in the Monterey area for 3 days & Big Sur for 4 days.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM

I would not miss these: The Monterey Bay Aquarium, Point Lobos State Reserve, eating in Big Sur at Nepenthe or the out door patio of the Ventana Inn restaurant, hiking or biking the coastal recreation trail in Pacific Grove, visiting and eating in Carmel by the Sea village.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
SAB

After numerous years of staying in Carmel twice a year, these are the things I always want to do when I visit, so these would be my "not misses": Visit Point Lobos, walk along the coastal trail in Pacific Grove, walk along Scenic Ave in Carmel from Carmel Beach to Carmel River Beach, take a walk on Asilomar Beach, eat at Rocky Point, stop at the Bixby Bridge viewpoint, eat at Passionfish in Pacific Grove, visit wineries in Carmel Valley, and go to Ventana for a drink on the patio.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM

Glad my "little" report helped - thanks for posting the link Austin!
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Such wonderful suggestions & team work (posting others links). This site cannot be beat. I have so many great ideas thanks to you.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM

I was going to give you the link to my trip report but someone beat me to it. Highlights for me were McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Pfeiffer Beach, and Point Lobos. I also really like Carmel Mission and Hearst Castle. The towns of Carmel and Monterey were kind of disappointing. Not that I didn't like them, just that they didn't live up to my expectations.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Isabel. I have been flip flopping on the Hearst Castle. So much to see in this part of CA we were trying to decide if we wanted to spend that much time inside...
I guess I will now look into it further. I remember there were several tours. I didn't know which I should pick. I do know that I must go to McWay Falls & Point Lobos.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM

If your time gets crunched and you need to skip something, I would skip Heast Castle. It's not really a castle like you would see in Europe. It's more of an enormously wealthy man's enormous mansion. Of course it is intriguing and in a spectacular setting. Just saying, if something has to be eliminated ............
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 03:15 AM

I agree I wouldn't do Hearst Castle if it meant not doing (or rushing) the Big Sur Area but if you have time it was really pretty interesting. Hearst went on the "Grand Tour" of Europe as a boy and fell in love with the art and architecture and when he built the 'castle' he brought over a lot of art and architectural elements to incorporate, plus had a lot reproduced. So it doesn't look like a European castle, but it does look like a European Villa. Your entry ticket includes the video about building the castle which has some great photography of both Europe and the California coast. I thought the actual tour was the least interesting part, I just enjoyed the exteriors and walking around the grounds and the views.

Also right near it (4 miles up the coast) is the Elephant Seal Rookery which was great. I don't know how many seals are there year round but when I was there in March there were hundreds so it was very interesting.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:03 AM

Whichever tour you pick, make sure it includes the outdoor pool.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:03 AM

I totally recommend taking the tour at Hearst Castle. The basic two hour tour is fine (Rooms tour?) - and if you get there early (they open at 8 am? - first tour at 9:30?) - you can get a jump on the crowds. http://www.hearstcastle.org/ They also used to cook a good tri-tip sandwich - the meat coming from the cattle they raise on the huge estate, and they have a pretty good coffee stand and other snacks.

The little museum at the Visitor's center should not be missed and the short IMAX film is included in the tour - and gives you an idea what an incredible - ahead of his time communications genius - Hearst was.

Oh that I could have been a guest during some of those marvelous week long parties, and hey - go wondering out at night into the animal maze and come around a corner - face to face with a lion? Hearst was a great jokester - and the animals were well fed so you were pretty safe if you had a chance encounter - and he liked to play pranks on guests, from Hollywood celebs to Ambassadors, etc.

We want to take an evening tour - when some of the staff dress up in period costumes - but have not had the right timing yet.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:08 AM

>>

I still remember seeing it the first time when I was 12 - wow!
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM

I ran into a co-workers' daughter over a decade later at a conference - and her #1 memory from many days on the coast (Monterey down to HC and everything in between) was = the outdoor pool. The mermen to be more specific - but the pool and its setting is nothing like anything else I've seen in the US.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:26 AM

>>

Or anywhere else!
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Every Tuesday, Alvarado Street in downtown Monterey turns into a farmer's market. There's also the farmer's market at Monterey Peninsula College. Another way to really enjoy the beauty of the area is to bike the 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach. Carmel can't be missed and has great restaurants as well. When I went to Hearst Castle, I was coming and going from Monterey. One way, I took Highway 1 (close to the ocean) and coming back I took Highway 101 (I think, the one that was inland). Both offered scenic views in different ways. I wasn't that blown away by Hearst Castle, but it is something interesting to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -