Notices

Springtime in Paris-Philly Flower Show Trip

Old Apr 1st, 2011, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springtime in Paris-Philly Flower Show Trip

A local garden store sponsored a one-day bus trip from Annapolis Md area to the Philadelphia Flower Show. $75 included entrance tickets and a snack bag. Members of the store's garden club paid less. I have been trying to go to this for years and finally am able to do it.

The two busses left at 10 a.m. and arrived at around noon. The show was held in the convention center and the downtown traffic there was heavy but not at a standstill. The beauty of a bus trip is getting let off at the door. A luxury for older folks whose walking might be slower. On the other hand, the convention center is HUGE and it was a long walk to the show's various rooms. Wear good walking shoes!

This year's Parisian theme was beautiful. In the main entrance, floral animals and pink-blossomed trees lead one to a copy of the bottom section of the Eiffel Tower. Not to scale but huge enough for crowds to walk under, and with lights that twinkled every hour.

After the tower, a merry go round with floral animals. All around are Parisian-inspired vignettes which I will try to describe.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM
yk

Ah, the Philadelphia flower show! I've gone a few times in the past, and every time I was blown away. Thanks for bringing back nice memories for me!

Last month I went to the Boston Flower and Garden show. It really pales in size and in designs compared to the Philly Flower Show.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Amy

So glad you could get here! I love the Flower Show but didn't get to the finished product (just set-up) so I'm glad to hear your views.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

My goal was to look at each thing. I started at the floral exhibits, broke for lunch, looked at the vendor sections and returned to favorite floral exhibits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ shows just a few of the pix that turned out well in the lower light.

The wedding exhibits were very pretty and there were many orchid exhibits. The Men's Club exhibit was a couple of small Parisian buildings-a bakery and an art gallery-with window flowers and cute yards with fences and flowers. Another exhibit was a big garden (I think it was surrounding a band stand) of gorgeous perennials. The size and scope of the exhibits is incredible. As mentioned above, the Eiffel Tower, while not as large at the one in Paris was HUGE!

Local schools and groups entered all sorts of art, textiles, "store" window displays and there was a huge gift shop run by the PA Horticulture. I had a real giggle at their large wrap-around sign that showed "Pennsylvania Ho" and share it with one of the organizers. Also saw a "green" area with suggestions for conserving water in your yard/garden. A lovely display of botanical water colors caught my eye for a linger.

I went to lunch at one of the on-site eateries on the next floor up. Expensive and only ok food. Then walked over to the class rooms and another entrance that had a PA wines display with free tastings. It was busy as you might expect.

Back to the Flower show and I went up and down each aisle of vendors. If you get any garden catalogs, they were represented there. Hundreds of vendors. Behind the vendors and the school exhibits is a long line of food stalls. I grabbed a Dove bar and sat in one of the few chairs in the area. Then returned to revisit the main exhibits.

About 1 hour before our bus time (5:30), I was truly pooped and my feet hurt. There was a bar in the exhibits section so I bought a glass of wine and found some comfy chairs down on the first floor (near the business and meeting rooms). Had time run over to the Reading market (huge lines) then look at my pictures and return to re-take the bed of roses and Eiffel Tower.

For future, I'd recommend going to Philadelphia the day before and spending a night or two. If you really hustle, it's doable in a day but you can't linger. Also, because we were on a bus, we were cautioned to go easy on the size of our purchases. Having your own car (or truck LOL) would make good sense. Many of the vendors would ship things. And about those toilets. There was always a line and only a few stalls (what were they thinking?) for the ladies. There were classes going on-nothing that "grabbed" me that day but certainly would add to you enjoyment (and give you a good sit down!).

Bus and people prompt and we were back in Annapolis before 9. If you love your garden, this should go on your list of things to do. And maybe more than once since they change the theme each year.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM

Sounds like fun. Thanks for the report.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Amy, I was looking for your report so am glad to hear from you. Anyone who reads this, please look at Amy's TR-the gardens and neighborhood sounded wonderful.

What do you do with the show Amy???
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:40 AM
Amy

I'm one of the thousands of volunteers who help to do set-up, which could be everything from placing plants to color consultation to, well, cleaning the floor. (I work on one or two of the main exhibits each year.) It's fun and fascinating to see the show grow from the cement floor up, and I always have gone to the show itself, as well, but this year I wasn't able due to a family matter. Here's a post about the set-up process: http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...ment-floor.cfm

Next year's theme is Hawaiian, so that should be a decided contrast!
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Hope to see it again. Thanks, Amy!