Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Spring Trip to Arizona with kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/spring-trip-to-arizona-with-kids-218322/)

Peggi Dec 28th, 2001 01:05 PM

Spring Trip to Arizona with kids

We will be going to Arizona in late March with 2 children, ages 10 and 12. We are thinking of basing ourselves in Sedona for 4 nights, with jeep tours, fishing in Oak Creek, etc. plus a one day trip to the Grand Canyon and then another day drip to Indian Country (i.e. Hubbell Trading Post, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert). Also have an interest in the Meteor Crater.<BR><BR>Then our last 3 nights in the Phoenix area with a pool good for the kids...do the Rawhide tour recommended on this site and the Desert Botanical Gardens.<BR><BR>Will this work? Any better suggestions?

Donna Dec 28th, 2001 04:23 PM

Try the Pointe HIlton Squaw Peak in Phoenix if you want a somewhat reasonable place with a pool good for kids--they have a 'lazy river' and a water slide right there. kids your age should love it

Polly Dec 28th, 2001 09:10 PM

We did a similar trip a few years ago. If you want to see all those sights, I recommend that you spend a couple of nights in Sedona doing those things you listed there. Then head out to the Grand Canyon bright and early one morning making the loop to Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelley, Hubbell Trading Post and Petrified Forest. You can do all that with one or two overnights on the road. It's a long way from Sedona to Hubbell on a day trip...just my humble opinion.

nina Dec 29th, 2001 04:51 AM

Peggi, will the pools be open then? I have kids similar ages and was thinking of doing a similar trip but our vacation starts March 9th. I can't seem to get any info on whether it will be warm enough to swim! I was also looking at the Pointe Hilton with its great pools. Your itinerary sounds great.

steve Dec 29th, 2001 05:00 AM

Pools are heated and the weather during the day is fine for swimming. I would also visit Montezuma's Castle and the little visited Montezuma's Well. ALso Jerome and Tuzigoot Nat'l Monument.<BR><BR>We did Petrified forest/painted desert (1 park now) and Meteor Crater in one day. I think any more than that is too much for one day

nina Dec 29th, 2001 05:08 AM

Steve, even at the beginning of March? It would be a huge disappointment if we planned to stay at Pointe Hilton and couldn't swim!

peggi Dec 29th, 2001 11:12 AM

Thanks for the advice! I hope to get more. Regarding the question about swimming in early March...I would think it would be "iffy"...my husband and I were in Arizona in late March 2 years ago without kids and had snow in the Grand Canyon. We layered everything we could find for a horseback ride through Coconino National Forest. However, we ended that trip in Phoenix and it was warm and lovely...maybe not warm enough for ME to jump in a pool, but probably warm enough for my kids. Agree with Montezuma's Castle - can't wait to show my kids - and will try to do the Well this time, too.

ingrid Dec 29th, 2001 12:49 PM

We spent one week in the Tucson area last April (just befor Easter) and were greeted by snow flurries. By the end of the week, however, it was warm enough (for the kids) to swim in the pool. We had decided against the Grand Canon because of cold weather. <BR>I think your trip sounds great.

Gwen Dec 29th, 2001 07:52 PM

People really give a lot of misinformation here about Arizona weather in the winter and spring.<BR>I can't believe posters would plan and pay money for a vacation without verifying such critical info (since many people plan to be able to swim and such).<BR>February is not a month to swim in AZ (the majority of days), and March is transition time....it can be 70's or cloudy and high 50's-60's which doesn't make for good swimming.

nina Dec 30th, 2001 04:09 AM

Gwen, that's precisely what I'm trying to do! I wouldn't pay top dollar and not be able to swim. Thanks for your, and others info. It doesn't look like there is any guarantee that the weather would be warm wnough to swim. We'll probably save this trip for next year, when their school calender will change to 2 vacations in Feb and April (when the rest of the world is off!) and go in April.