Spring trip

Oct 5th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Spring trip

My husband and I are looking for a good warm weather destination in late March. We are from NY state where it will still be pretty cold. Because we have been going on some pretty expensive trips, we would like a place that is not really expensive. We like to do things outdoors like hiking and birding. Last year went to Naples Florida which was not cheap!! Considered Charleston but again, it is expensive. Any ideas?
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM

I always advise people to visit the St. Petersburg beaches. There are great bargains here. And the beaches are in great shape, no overt hurricane damage. There are terrific restaurants, wonderful parks, and some great birding in the Tampa Bay area. March is a great time for canoeing on one of the bay's five rivers. Take a cooler with a picnic lunch, you can make your trip as long as you want, this is adventure for even an amateur because Florida is a mere downstream glide, no huffing, puffing or white water. There is a great 7-mile hike in north Tampa called Flatwoods where I've seen lots of wildlife from birds to bobcats. The walk has some educational signs and water coolers throughout. As for hotels, check any of the cities between Passe-a-grille and Sand Key. Treasure Island has some bargains (try the Best Western Sea Castle).

And what about St. Augustine? Or Ft. Myers Beach? Melbourne?

Search this Thread