Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Spring Break in Alasaka April 2013 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/spring-break-in-alasaka-april-2013-a-963596/)

CarNPlaneNut Jan 20th, 2013 10:59 AM

Spring Break in Alasaka April 2013

I am looking for ideas for what to do and see in Alaska for early April, 2013. It is spring break, and we are traveling with my two daughters (elementary and middle school age), my wife, and my parents. We will be flying into Anchorage. I have been to Anchorage and Fairbanks myself, but none of the other family members have been to Alaska.

My father wants to see Denali. Is Fairbanks an option for driving? We could fly, if necessary. What other city would be good to see during this time? Attraction recommendations would be helpful too. I would enjoy seeing something to do with the dog races, the pipeline, railroad trip, or Mount McKinley.

Thanks,
Jason

Gardyloo Jan 20th, 2013 11:09 AM

Not trying to dump on your plans, but early April is, IMO, just about the worst time of the year to visit southcentral Alaska. It's "breakup" time - the snow turns to mud, then ice overnight. Denali Park is inaccessible (past the entrance) until June, the train only runs once a week...

In April people who live in Alaska fly to Hawaii. Take that as a clue?

janisj Jan 20th, 2013 11:45 AM

I definitely agree w/ Gardyloo. I have several relatives living in Anchorage and even they hate March/April. Melting slushy snow, local flooding from fast snow melt, just not nice.

Go somewhere else and save Alaska for when you can travel at a better time of year.

MichelleY Jan 20th, 2013 03:31 PM

Agree. Go in the summer.

CarNPlaneNut Jan 22nd, 2013 01:05 AM

Ok, so I hear all of oyu loud and clear. Any recommendations as to where to go. I am an airline pilot, so we fly stand by, so FL or other Top Spring Break destinations are out. That was part of the reason we chose Alaska.

spirobulldog Jan 22nd, 2013 03:45 AM

April, I would choose somewhere in the Southwest. Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Moab, Arches. Perhaps CA Coast/San Francisco/MOnterey or San Diego. I like National Parks, so Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns/Guadalupe, or Tucson/Saguaro NP.
Smoky Mountains or Shenandoah might be another option.

emalloy Jan 22nd, 2013 04:14 AM

I totally agree with spirobulldog. Go to the NPs

janisj Jan 22nd, 2013 06:08 AM

"<i>That was part of the reason we chose Alaska.</i>"

There is a <i>reason</i> you can find lots of flights into AK in the Spring :)

Definitely consider the SW. You have options for flying into AZ, NM, UT, southern CA or Vegas so there should be some availability somewhere.

CarNPlaneNut Jan 30th, 2013 05:18 AM

UNCLE..... Ok, so we made reservations in Hawaii-the big island. We will try Alaska in a summer trip. Thanks for all of your responses. Jason

MichelleY Jan 30th, 2013 07:18 AM

:)

incognitochic Jan 31st, 2013 10:56 AM

Is mid-late May a better time to go?

MichelleY Jan 31st, 2013 11:53 AM

No.

spirobulldog Jan 31st, 2013 12:15 PM

July or August would be though