Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Foods of NYC Chinatown tour for a senior citizen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done this tour, and if so, did you enjoy it? Background: Taking my mother, 75, to NYC for one night. She hasn't been there in over 30 years. I asked her what the top few things she wanted to do were, assuming they would include the 911 Memorial and a show. She had mentioned both of those before, but she has apparently changed her mind, LOL.

She IS very interested in the Tenement Museum, the Doughnut Plant, the Pickle Guy, and possibly The Frick. My husband and I went on the Foods of NYC Greenwich Village tour a few years ago, and it seems like something she'd like, but I think it requires too much standing for too long. The Chinatown tour makes longer, and fewer stops, so I though she might find that interesting. (?)

Mom loves reading and watching documentaries about different cultures, but has never really been a museum goer. She likes classic rock music, LOL, but apparently doesn't want to see a musical (or play). She doesn't like heights, so the TOR is out. I think she would love the cloisters, but I don't think that's practical for such a short trip.

Two days isn't long, but planning is going to be harder than I thought. I read the wonderful "Mama to NY" thread, but my Mom has different tastes, LOL.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 08:11 AM

If you are going to the Tenement Museum (which I strongly recommend), perhaps you should do a Lower East Side food tour. Or simply go to Katz's, which is nearby. Or you could simply walk over to the Essex Street Market. But the Doughnut Plant is also nearby, and there's a great place for gelato. But in all honesty, doing that and the Frick is about all you need for a single day. Plan an activity close to your hotel for the second morning.

You can actually do the Cloisters in a couple of hours if you aren't that interested in art. Just walking around is fun, and there's a great garden and incredible views. Then head home.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

We'll be there pretty much for two days, as we're coming from a NYC suburb of CT.

The problem with the Cloisters is getting there. I think she'd really like it, but it would require a long bus ride. I want to avoid the subway because there are too many stairs, and because I wouldn't want any possibility of her having to stand. Also, we're going in November so the gardens wouldn't be as beautiful as they ordinarily are. (I was there last spring.)
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 04:11 PM

I'm the same age as your mother.... not old - I live in NYC so my friends and I are used to walking every place. However, recently my wings were clipped by a sciatica attack. I've found that leaning on a cane is a great way to rest. I found a nifty collapsible one that I hide when I don't want to be an old lady. If your mother doesn't mind walking but needs a little rest every once in
awhile it could be a help. As far as a China town tour goes... does it include food? That would be the draw for me. The Frick Collection is great for someone who doesn't like museums. It's more an introduction into how the robber barons lived. Of course, for the connoisseur there's the
collection. Also, there are lots of places to sit !
Have a lovely visit.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Grandma! My Grandparents were all very fit to a much older age, but Mom has had more health issues so she can walk, but not super long distances, and her balance is slightly off. She hates to take here cane, but agree that it would be a great idea. I didn't know they had collapsible ones, so I will look into that. She actually wants to take the subway, but I can't imagine that being a good idea. Her house is two story, but still, the subway can be a lot more!

Yes, the Chinatown tour includes food. She sounded pretty excited when I asked her about it. I'm glad you like the Frick idea too.

I wish I could extend the visit a little, but she hates to be away from her pets, even though they are in good hands. ;-)
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Not sure through where you were finding the Chinatown tour but there is also the Museum of Chinese in America. http://www.mocanyc.org/ They have tours of both the museum and the area. You could phone and ask about length of walking, stops, places to sit. It was one of my plans on my trip in February but then the big snow storm hit. Maybe next time.

And I totally agree that the Frick is great even for people that don't like museums.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, laurie_ann! I hadn't heard of that one, and it does sound like a good prospect.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 01:12 PM

There are a few self guided food tours of the lower east side online. Maybe going at her own pace would be better. Post back if you want links. If she's more interested now iin eating in Chinatown, I can provide the name of a private Chinese guide who could take you to a few different places based on taste preferences. I think a tour group may not be a great idea. The foldable cane is a great idea. Some fold up to fit in a purse.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 02:36 PM

We did the Chinatown food tour, and it was a lot of fun. It included quite a bit of walking though. We had some great dumplings, a yummy eggplant dish, and some Peking duck. Also went to a Chinese healing/apothecary shop, and to a little tea place to shop. We really loved the Tenement Museum as well. Our tour involved walking up several flights of stairs, and it can get pretty warm in there. You know your mom's abilities best and what she can handle. Doughnut Plant was yummy. Tres leches and creme brulee were our favorite flavors. Katz's is close by, but the line was really long when we tried to go.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie, I'd love to take a look at the links of the self guided tours if you have time to post them. Thank you!

volcanogirl, thank you for your insight about the Chinatown food tour! It does sound nice.

We also did one of the tours of the Tenement museum that required a lot of stairs. Fortunately, they list the number of stairs on their website for each one, and they have an Irish tour that she should like that's on the second floor. Her house has stairs, so I know she'd be fine with that.

Katz's might be a good idea too. I will ask her about that!
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 03:05 AM

I did the Chinatown foods of NYC tour about 2 years ago, and from memory we actually sat down to eat at 3 of the restaurants. As far as I know that is different in other tours when most of the eating is done standing around. You should check with the operator. I loved it and recommend it but can't remember how much walking there was.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, KatPen!