Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sports Fans! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sports-fans-320852/)

SusieQ78 Mar 10th, 2008 11:12 PM

Sports Fans!

Hi
I am heading to the US for the full month of September and would love to watch a baseball game and also a Football game. I have heard that the football is notoriously difficult to get tickets for. We are going to be in LA, Vegas, San Fran, Seattle, San Diego so don't really mind where we see either sport. Can anyone recommend anything for us - even if its a college football game?

tchoiniere Mar 11th, 2008 02:11 AM

Would recommend seeing a baseball game in San Diego as that is one of my favorite stadiums. San Francisco and Seattle also have great stadiums as well. Depending on what city you are in on Sundays will determine which football games would be options. Tickets are hard to get but there are online re-sellers of tickets that are always options (for a lot of money possibly)

gail Mar 11th, 2008 02:14 AM

Baseball will not be difficult as all of the cities you are visiting except of Las Vegas have teams (some multiple teams). A place to start would be mlb.com which has links to each team site and from there you go to "schedule" and click on date for which you want tickets. Tickets are on sale now, with varying availability for each team and opponent. For some of these teams, you can even get tickets the day of a game.

Football is more difficult and tickets for single games are not yet on sale. For some teams they are impossible to get unless one uses a broker. Schedules are not even in general release yet, so you can not even check game dates with your dates. nfl.com is a place to start your research for football.

If have no clue about college games.

kelliebellie Mar 11th, 2008 05:15 AM

Here are the UCLA home games for that time (college football). They play in the Rose Bowl with 100,000 fans. A must see.

Saturday August 30, 2008, FRESNO STATE
Saturday September 6, 2008, TENNESSEE
Saturday September 20, 2008, ARIZONA
Saturday October 4, 2008, WASHINGTON STATE

http://uclabruins.cstv.com/
http://www.rosebowlstadium.com/

You want to watch for when individual tickets go on sale. It will probably be this summer. You can also check ebay when times get closer.

It is too bad you won't be in Michigan! Great fall sports area.

You can always get a ticket for any sport, just depends on demand and what you want to pay. In this area (Michigan) it isn't really done the day of the game anymore, it is all done ahead of time on ebay.

College football is almost always on Saturday morning/afternoon, pro football is almost always on Sunday afternoon (with a Monday night game as well).

Baseball wraps up their regular season in September, so if a team is fighting for a playoff spot, tickets will be more expensive, but if a team is mathematically out of it, then tickets will be easy to come by.

Football will be just underway, so there won't be any problems with playoffs.

I just looked at USC's college schedule and they play Ohio State on Sept. 13 in L.A. That will be a huge game.

Sept. 20 Stanford plays San Jose State. Stanford has a beautiful campus.

Sept. 27, Cal plays Colorado State. Cal also has a beautiful campus.

Just keep checking ebay for tickets as things get closer. That is the best way to do it.

And just to clear up one thing, you speak of college football as though it is a lesser sport. But here in the US, college football is HUGE and is a wonderful day spent tailgating and cheering. Each college game means so much. If you lose even one your chances of the national title are much slimmer. You get the bands and the students and the cheers and it is really fun. I would highly recommend it over a pro game any day!

HowardR Mar 11th, 2008 05:30 AM

Considering all the choices you'll have, you should have no problem getting tickets for a college football game. Being from the East Coast, I'm not sure about the availability of tickets for the West Coast pro football teams.
As for baseball, you should be able to get something, especially for a midweek game, without having to pay scalper's prices.

mrsd2fan Mar 11th, 2008 05:32 AM

I very much agree with kelliebellie about College Football...lived most of my life in the Syracuse, NY area and the football team at SU have always been good and the games were fun, HOWEVER!, when hubby and I relocated to Athens Georgia, home of the University of Georgia..nothing prepared us for the fun and the passion these people have for their football games...so, so ,so much fun!!!!

janisj Mar 11th, 2008 05:41 AM

You should be able to get tickets to The 49ers in San Francisco. For years that would have been an impossibility - but they are in a low point and tix are much more available. The "LA" pro football team actually plays in Anaheim.

SF Giants tickets will be easier than in past years too. It is a great stadium w/ amazing views of the Bay.

lvk Mar 11th, 2008 06:00 AM

There is no LA professional football team, even in Anaheim. :( There is one in San Diego.

Los Angeles has two very exciting college football teams, though: USC which plays in the Coliseum, and UCLA, as mentioned above.

As for baseball in LA, there are the ridiculously-named Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, actually in Orange County and the Los Angeles Dodgers in LA. There is really nothing special about Anaheim stadium. Dodger Stadium is a classic ball park. I would choose San Diego or San Francisco for baseball game.

janisj Mar 11th, 2008 06:14 AM

Oh sheessh - OF COURSE not! That is what I get for typing while laying in bed having just taken a muscle relaxant! :)

I was thinking "LA Angels of Anaheim" and some how brain faded into football. Maybe these meds are stronger that I thought :D

china_cat Mar 11th, 2008 06:53 AM

If you can get tickets, you should definitely see baseball in San Francisco, see the Giants. Its a gorgeous stadium. We also had no trouble getting tickets to see the Mariners in Seattle a couple years back, using stubhub. We payed just a little bit over list price and had good seats. The Seattle stadium has a retractable roof, so they can close it if its raining. Its a nice place to see a game.

I suspect that you can get tickets to see the Oakland Raiders for football. That stadium doesn't sell out, at least it didn't used to. And well, I think seeing the Raider fans would be an interesting experience. The Raiders probably have the LEAST nice stadium of the football cities you are going to be in, but that may make it the easies ticket.

I'm sure you could see the Oakland A's as well, but the other baseball stadiums are so much better, I really wouldn't recommend it.

I believe most football teams put their tickets on sale in April. You might check their websites occasionally to see.

thereyet Mar 11th, 2008 07:09 AM

Hey, at least the weather is better in Oakland and no the Raiders still don't sell out so that is probably the best bet for NFL. Lots of college games but they may be even harder to get tickets . College kids are very enthusiastic about their schools but the cheap seats will probably be available.

thereyet

AAFrequentFlyer Mar 11th, 2008 07:49 AM

You can get tickets to any game, from scalpers selling tickets in front of the stadium on the day of the game. If you hold out until minutes before the match starts, you can usually get great seat(s) for less than face value of the ticket.

I have done it for football matches on both sides of the Atlantic. Not once have I been disappointed. Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Chicago Bears, TB Bucks, Miami Dolphins etc. etc......

ljc4creb Mar 11th, 2008 09:14 AM

I bought my tickets for a San Diego Padres game on-line for 4/25/08. You can view the stadium and choose your section and price range. You can also call the park itself for best seats available.

GSTRDR Mar 11th, 2008 09:19 AM

I have been to most of the top football and baseball stadiums in the USA.
Your best bet is to see a 49'er football game in San Francisco and a Giants baseball game in San Francisco. Pac Bell Park where the Giants play is the best of the new stadiums. Its a great place to see a game.
In the same area, you could see a Cal. Bears college football game in Berkeley. Its another great place to see a game.
You should have no problem getting tickets to each. Make sure you check where your seats are before you buy.

Will

china_cat Mar 11th, 2008 11:17 AM

its not called "PacBell" stadium anymore, is it? where the Giants play? I wanted to say the name, but couldn't remember...is it AT&T stadium? I hate corporate names!

I can't believe everybody saying that its easy to get west coast NFL tickets. I mean, I believe you, I just can't believe its so easy. Speaking as a Patriots fan, I haven't been able to get a ticket since Gillette stadium opened in 2002. To scalp a single nosebleed seat will cost me well over $300. I might have to go west to see my team play! (an I think they go west 4 times next season...)

janisj Mar 11th, 2008 11:23 AM

No "Pac Bell" is not the name of the Giant's stadium - but it is still what most folks call it.

Just like most of us call Candlestick "Candlestick" no matter who the naming rights were sold to. (But it is back to plain old Candlestick again since Monster decided not to renew)

tchoiniere Mar 11th, 2008 11:34 AM

china_cat, thats true for football and baseball tickets. Same reason why I am going to 8 Red Sox games this year - all on the Road.

SAB Mar 11th, 2008 12:00 PM

china-cat--it use to be true that someone had to die for you to get decent Niner tickets, but it's no longer true. Having a crappy team does that!!!! Also I don't think we have as many diehard fans--many people here are transplants and for many fans their "team" is still their hometown team. You should see how many different baseball caps are worn at Giants games!!!

gail Mar 11th, 2008 12:08 PM

tchoinere - going to Toronto in September?

tchoiniere Mar 11th, 2008 12:27 PM

No. Will be out of vacation time by then...Have seen them in Toronto in the past.

3 in Baltimore in May
2 in Philly in June
2 in Tampa in July,
1 in Chicago in August

I am trying to go to every MLB stadium and try to have the Sox as many as possible. Last year saw Schilling's 1 Hitter.

Any of the stadiums on Susies trip are great stadiums (minus the Angels - which is still very nice considering it was multi-purpose). If I had to rank the ones proposed, it would be San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium (whatever its called now)