Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Spoiling myself in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/spoiling-myself-in-nyc-106582/)

Lee Feb 17th, 2001 06:57 AM

Spoiling myself in NYC

If you were me, and were looking to spoil yourself and your husband in Manhattan for a weekend after killing yourself for 2 days taking the dreaded CPA exam, where would you stay? Critera--less than $300 per night (I know, I can't get too spoiled in New York for that), not too "hip", central location (would prefer to be close to the park). <BR> <BR>Also, I know I've seen this topic before, but my search came up with nothing. We're thinking about driving from D.C. rather than flying, but have had a few nightmare experiences in the past (i.e., sitting in traffic for 3 hours on Sunday afternoon, getting hit by a cab that jumps across three lanes of traffic and runs a light just to get away from us, etc.), and I've heard that there are places you can park in New Jersey for the weekend, and then just take a ferry or train into the city. But I don't know any details about locations, prices, travel times into the city. Can anyone help? I don't want to hear the merits of flying vs. driving, as I've done both and am fully aware of my choices! (and I'm not taking the train). <BR> <BR>

Owen O'Neill Feb 17th, 2001 07:05 AM

I'll try to address the issue of driving in vs.parking in NJ but need some more info - what time of day will you be coming into the city, what time of day will you be leaving and how much luggage will you be carrying? These are all factors that affect what the best solution may be. Please advise.

Lee Feb 17th, 2001 07:12 AM

Thanks, Owen. We'll be coming in mid-day on a Friday (in May), and leaving by 4 p.m. on Sunday (flexible on the time). We travel very light, so we won't be carrying much luggage.

Topper Feb 20th, 2001 08:22 AM

To the top!

jhm Feb 20th, 2001 08:31 AM

I think that you can get some good deals on hotels ("good" being New York speak for "under 500") lately -- I saw a bunch in the NY Times Travel section this weekend. I think the Parker Meridien (good place I've recommended before) is having a sale, and is a nice place...there were other ones listed that I can't think of now. <BR> <BR>I never heard of the parking in NJ option, although I'm guessing you could do it in Hoboken (where they have a NJ Transit station as well as a PATH station with trains into NY/a ferry into NY). I'd do a search for the Hoboken train station to find out more about this option.

Ess Feb 20th, 2001 09:39 AM

Regarding parking at the Path Train stations, the Exchange Place station in Jersey City might be an option. It's only 5 or 10 minutes from there to the World Trade Center in Manhattan. Lots of parking there since a many people work and commute in that area.

Heather Feb 23rd, 2001 10:10 PM

Hi, <BR>I live in Hoboken (and have for 7 years) and must warn you that IF you can find a place in Hoboken (even in the few lots and garages), it probably won't be much cheaper than your luxury hotel will offer you. If you attempt to find a spot on the street double check the signs for alternate side parking rules and/or meters Be assured that parking tickets are a major source of income for our mile square city! If you do park in Frank's hometown, I suggest you stay a spell! The best view in all of NYC is from Steven's Point (Stevens Institue of Technology) (Up from Hudson street and 8th steet). It offers a fabulous view of midtown Manhattan from the Western side (Empire State, Chrysler, various bridges, World Trade Center) along with the historical old cannon from the Revolutionary War that Cap. J. Stevens participated in.

rqf Feb 24th, 2001 04:12 AM

Many hotels offer good rates for Friday and Saturday evening stays. The Marriott Marquis at 45th and Broadway frequently offers a $189 per night weekend rate. I seem to recall seeing a post on this board indicting dates in May when the $189 rate is being offered. Get the NY posts and check all posts with the word “hotel” and you might find the post I am talking about. To get the rate requires a promotion code number which was in the note. Another hotel in that area that offers good weekend rates is the Broadway Millennium located at 44th just east of Broadway. Both are about a 15 minute walk from Central Park. <BR>The Mayflower, an older hotel, located on Central Park West and 61st St is across the street from the park. You could probably get a room with a park view for $300 or so. <BR> <BR>There are places to park in NJ but consider the inconvenience and if the savings are worth the effort. There is a parking lot at the NY Waterways ferry. Cost is minimal but you have to factor in the cost of the ferry and possible cost of a taxi once in the city.. The ferry service provides a shuttle bus that follows a certain route - then you have to work your way to the hotel where you will be staying. You are bound to get responses that will outline the costs. <BR>When you factor in ferry cost for two, both ways, and parking fees the savings by parking in NJ may not be all that much. You could, of course, save some money by taking the PATh but it might not be that convenient <BR> <BR>Arriving at mid day on a Friday should not pose a traffic problem getting into the city and leaving on Sunday afternoon should not pose major traffic problems getting out of the city.So consideration should be given to driving right into the city. If you entered the city using the Lincoln Tunnel there is a park and lock garage just outside t he tunnel exit. You exit the tunnel going in the direction of uptown and when you get to 42nd Street you will see the entrance to the garage just across 42nd. I don’t know the 24 hour rate but I imagine it is around $20 a day. If you stayed at the Marriott or the Millennium you could walk to t he hotel assuming the luggage is not that heavy. A cab would cost less than $5. If I were looking for nice place for the weekend I would probably pick the Millennium if I could get a price around $200 a night.

Patrick Feb 24th, 2001 07:01 AM

As to the above post, I received a mailing from the Marriott Marquis with promotional rates of $139 some nights, and $189 other nights. The code for the $139 rate is LLOQ, and the code for the $189 rate is LLOA. These were a Playbill Theatre Club rate, but you don't have to be a member for it. You must do them by phone however, 1-800-843-4898 and ask for those rates. I posted this on another thread here and got a nice email back from someone thanking me as she called and was able to get the $189 rate.

Rhett Feb 24th, 2001 07:16 AM

I am planning a trip to NYC in late June with my family of five. Three kids ages 5 to 10. Any advice out there on best places to stay and the surest way of getting theater tickets?

Owen O'Neill Feb 24th, 2001 04:31 PM

I agree with "rqf" re/the possibility of parking in NJ. Your arrival and departure times will present you with few if any traffic problems getting in and out of the city. If $$ were the issue you could stay at a "park and ride" somewhere and take the NJ Transit bus or train in. As mentioned, parking in Hoboken is a hassle and is pricey. You could also park in the garage adjacent to the Newport/Pavonia PATH station (Jersey City Waterfront - just south of the Holland Tunnel entrance for about $15 per day. The Lincoln Tunnel is a far better choice even if parking costs a bit more. When you exit the tunnel the flow of traffic will have you driving north for one short block and you'll be looking right at the aforementioned garage on 42nd Street. I drive in and out that route regulalry and the only time traffic is a hassle is generally at rush hour. You could also consider driving in as though you were going to the Lincoln Tunnel and at the very last exit before the final approacj to the tunnel you'll see signs marked "Ferry to NY". There is secured parking available adjacen to the ferry dock in Weehawken. The ferry service even offers a crosstown bus that will get you from the NY docks over to an avenu relatively close to your destination. I'd rank the ferry service as a second choice to the parking garage but either will suffice.

annK Feb 25th, 2001 12:05 AM

Lee, I would recommend taking the train and leave the car at home. The train is such an easy way to travel from DC to NY and you get off the train right in the heart of the city. (Ok I know you said you didn't want to take the train, but parking here is fairly expensive and/or tickets and there is really no where to park and the traffic is bad and the weather and snow are having a bad year too. <BR> <BR>For hotel, I would choose the Palace, right in the heart of the city and close to everything and lots of pampering there. <BR> <BR>Good luck with the exam.