Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Splurge hotel: Grand Wailea Maui or Grand Hyatt Kauai?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/splurge-hotel-grand-wailea-maui-or-grand-hyatt-kauai-610346/)

beachgirl86 Apr 24th, 2006 05:06 PM

Splurge hotel: Grand Wailea Maui or Grand Hyatt Kauai??

Hi everyone,

Right now, DH and I are scheduled to spend 13 nights in Hawaii this August. 5 nights at the Sheraton Maui (through Hotwire), 3 nights at the Grand Wailea, and 5 nights at the Outrigger Waikiki. We are thinking about switching from Oahu to Kauai due to the sewerage problems on Oahu. (I know that it will most likely be safe by then, but we might feel better holding off on Oahu until Summer 2007.) We have never been to Kauai before, and have been to Oahu twice.

Strictly speaking about hotels: if you were to splurge, would you pick the Grand Wailea or the Grand Hyatt Kauai? Beach, pools, service, rooms, restaurants, grounds, etc....? If we do switch, I would add another night or two onto our Sheraton Maui stay, then head to Kauai to the Hyatt. Can't afford to do both the Grand Wailea and the Hyatt!

Thanks in advance for your experiences :)

k2rider Apr 24th, 2006 05:48 PM

We didn't stay at the Hyatt on Kauai but I didn't personally think it was anything special. Definitely not on par with the Grand Wailea.

I have stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki and thought is was a GREAT deal for the price we paid. However, once you leave the hotel and beach strip, I despise Waikiki and Honolulu in general. There is no comparison with Kauai, KAUAI RULES THEM ALL!!!!

That's my .02!!

travelinandgolfin Apr 24th, 2006 06:00 PM

I've stayed at both and I'd pick the Poipu Hyatt on Kauai.

The Grand Wailea, is just too big, too spread out for my tastes. If you like such resorts, than it might be for you.

The Hyatt on Kauai, while also spread out, is not quite so big. I also prefer the surroundings on the Kauai Hyatt. But then, I prefer Kauai over Maui in general, so I have a bias there.

fivestar Apr 25th, 2006 02:59 AM

Wasn't the Hyatt Kauai flooded out during the recent storms? A local from Maui told us that while we were there. If it was it must be all fixed up by now huh?

Malesherbes Apr 25th, 2006 04:27 AM

It was the Marriott, and only 25 rooms.

crazy4Hawaii Apr 25th, 2006 05:16 AM

I've stayed in both and much preferred the Grand Wailea. They are both fantastic and you'll probably get a different viewpoint from everyone who answers. I thought the service at the Hyatt was snooty and the pools almost - but not quite - as nice. And the beach there was not really swimmable, very rough. Wailea Beach is heavenly - and that walkway along the beaches is so lovely.

crazy4Hawaii Apr 25th, 2006 05:20 AM

Hey, beachgirl - It's you, again!
You've been to Oahu several times, haven't you? I think Kauai would be a nice choice, but in August I would stay up north. IMO, THAT'S what makes Kauai so unique (except Waimea Canyon, of course). Look at my old post where Bill gives so many great ideas for a beach cottage rental there. Save your resort splurge for Maui!

beachgirl86 Apr 25th, 2006 05:25 AM

Thanks, everyone! Keep the suggestions coming!

Crazy: Yes, we have been to Oahu twice before, and will probably return to Hawaii next summer ('07) as well. With the sewer problems, I am thinking of holding off on Oahu until then. And, we have never been to Kauai, so now is the perfect excuse to try the only "main" island we haven't visited. I will look up that post between you and Bill. Although we are HUGE resort people :) But I would certianly be open to rentals. Any idea when that thread took place?

sherrie Apr 25th, 2006 05:48 AM

Beachgirl, I think I remember Bill's trip, last summer. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it wasn't all that long ago.

MBnancy Apr 25th, 2006 01:15 PM

Beachgirl, You don't have to splurge on the Kauai Hyatt. (which I think is the greatest resort) On their web site they have information on their Stay Certificates for $249 a night. Many people here have used them. They also have a Sunshine on Sale package, with free breakfast, and stay 5 nights, get the 6th free.

endlessvacation2 Apr 25th, 2006 01:28 PM

Hi!
We love Kauai and the Hyatt gets my vote.

Gellers Apr 25th, 2006 01:44 PM

I've stayed at both and my vote goes to the Kauai Hyatt. For the following reasons:

1) I prefer the Kauai Hyatt to the Grand Wailea. Both are large, grandiose-scale resorts, but the Hyatt has a prettier, more Hawaiian, more relaxing (while still elegant) vibe.

2) We are also big "resort" people, so I'd much rather stay at the Sheraton in Maui (which is a nice hotel in and of itself) and the Hyatt in Kauai than have to rent a cottage or condo.

Gellers Apr 25th, 2006 01:46 PM

BTW we used the "stay" certificates (which are a great bargain)--but be careful, you need to make sure they will accept them on the dates you plan to stay there.

beachgirl86 Apr 25th, 2006 02:59 PM

Thanks everyone!

About the Hyatt Stay certificates -- do I need to call them in advance to see if they will accept the certificates BEFORE I buy them? Is that how it works?

Gellers Apr 25th, 2006 03:45 PM

Call up and tell them you have Stay Certificates and are thinking of using them for your travel dates; can you use them for those particular dates?

If they say yes, then go buy the certificates.

crazy4Hawaii Apr 25th, 2006 05:30 PM

I too am a resort person - that's why I stayed at the Hyatt when we went to Kauai last time. I just feel like Kauai has a totally different vibe which is best felt up north in the Hanalei area. That's just my feeling... If I go and stay in a resort again, I'll choose the Princeville. But Kauai and Molokai are the two islands that would tempt me to do the beach cottage thing - especially if I was already having the resort experience on another island.

I'll try to find our thread - seems like it was about November - and was titled something like "Kal, John, and Iamq..."

Like I said, you'll get many different opinions and the Hyatt was just not my cup of tea...

iamq Apr 25th, 2006 05:33 PM

beachgirl,

Here is the thread C4H was referring to. There is the requisite amount of banter, but the info is in there somewhere. I've stayed at the Hyatt and thought is was great. I don't enjoy sharing my space with other people on that large a scale though, that is why I like smaller resorts and house rentals. To each his/her own.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34707373

-Bill

sherrie Apr 26th, 2006 10:03 AM

Hi Beachgirl: I came across this place when doing some research a while ago, thinking DH and I could zip off to Kauai alone, alas, our son had another idea, he wanted to go with us. I think it looks nice, but having never been to Kauai, I can't give it a personal recommendation. Maybe some of the resident Kauai experts can chime in. Is this place any good? http://www.kauaivilla.com./ Just a thought.

ssm Apr 26th, 2006 01:53 PM

I have not stayed at the Hyatt Kauai yet (we have reservations set for July!). However, we have stayed at the GW as well as the Hyatt Maui. We far prefered the Hyatt Maui than the GW. My understanding is that the Hyatt Kauai outshines Hyatt Maui.

We also have friends that have stayed at all 3 of the aforementioned hotels. Hands down, they say stay at the Hyatt Kauai. Of course, this depends on what you want to do, activity wise.

While the GW is certainly big and pretty impressive, our experience at this resort was being crammed like sardines poolside with horrible service to boot. We found the cleanliness at the Hyatt superior than the GW. Finally, if you like getting up at 7:00 am to secure a decent pool chair, the GW is your place.

In fairness, however, the beach at the GW outshines both Hyatts. So if you are looking for more beachtime, the GW may be a better choice.

beachgirl86 Apr 26th, 2006 06:24 PM

Thanks for the links, Iam and sherrie, I will check them out.

Great comparison, too, ssm. We stayed at the Hyatt Maui 2 summers ago and enjoyed it very much.

Also, about the Elite Stay certificates, I called the Hyatt Kauai tonight and there is no availability for August right now to use them :( Hopefully that will change.

One thing I am looking into now is a rental on the North Shore for part of the time, and then finishing up vegging at the Hyatt.