Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Splitting stay on Big Island (7 nights) input? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/splitting-stay-on-big-island-7-nights-input-1696220/)

MapSavvy Mar 4th, 2021 10:54 PM

Splitting stay on Big Island (7 nights) input?

I am planning a trip to the Big Island in October for the second half of my honeymoon (8 nights on Maui first). I'm looking for some advice on splitting up our time on the island and general input on this tentative itinerary. Note that nothing is booked yet. There is a lot I want to see on the east side so the plan is for 3 nights in Volcano (vacation rental), and 4 nights Kohala Coast (possibly Westin Hapuna Bay), flying into Hilo and out of Kona. We would be arriving in Hilo from Maui around 9am on a wednesday, but would not be checking in to our rental until after 3pm. So we basically have an entire day to explore the Hilo area and beyond. I am a little concerned about traveling around with luggage in the car though, but we would keep everything in the trunk and the only valuable item will be my camera which I would always have on me, so I am hoping we would be safe.

While on Hilo/Volcano side of the island, here are the itinerary items we would try to accomplish in no particular order:
  • Hawaii Volcanoes NP (full day plus night time crater viewing)
  • Punalu'u Beach
  • Punalu'u Bake Shop (malasadas)
  • Town of Hilo
    • Food
    • Farmers Market?
  • Akaka Falls
  • Rainbow Falls/Boiling Pots
  • Kaumana Caves (probably skip if Thurston Lava Tubes are open)
  • Lava Tree State Monument
  • Isaac Hale Beach
  • Uncle Robert's Market
Would staying in Volcano the whole time we are on this side of the island make sense? I don't really want to add a third accommodation, but I'm not sure if all of these things are doable drive time wise from a Volcano base. The only other thing I can think of is stay the first night in Hilo, then do 2 nights in Volcano, but I'm just not sure if it would really make a big difference.

When we move over to the Kohola/Kona side i'm still not sure which route we would take. Saddle Road? Hamakua Coast?
Here are the itinerary items we would try to accomplish in no particular order for this side of the island:
  • Beach time (Hapuna since probably staying at Westin)
  • Waipi'o Valley Lookout
  • Pololu Valley Lookout
  • Waimea
  • Kaloko-Honokōhau National Historical Park
  • Pu'uhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park
  • Kona Coffee Farm
  • Kailua-Kona town for food
  • Kona Brewing
Last day would be flying out of KOA I believe around noon.

portobelloB Mar 15th, 2021 07:54 AM

Hello,

Your luggage should be safe if in trunk and can't be seen. We have traveled many times to different islands of Hawaii and never had any breaks ins during our first day arrival.

I think staying in two areas is fine. You really don't need a third place as Hilo is near the volcano area. Hilo is on the rainy side so be wary of flash floods if you are hiking near streams. We were on Maui last month and they had two separate fatal incidents where a total of three tourists were swept out to sea due to flash floods in the Hana area. I'm sure you would be careful but just wanted to mention this because many tourists are not aware of the powers of Mother Nature.

I would recommend taking the saddle road to get to Kona. Hawaii is wonderful place for a honeymoon.

Congratulations!