Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Split the Stay in Maui?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/split-the-stay-in-maui-572911/)

lllaros Nov 26th, 2005 01:21 PM

Split the Stay in Maui??

I have a couple of thoughts for our 8 night trip. We arrive on a Friday (late afternoon) and leave the following Saturday at 3pm. We are a family of four (kids 13, 15) that are fairly active yet enjoy a nice resort with a beach and pool. We want to see as much of Maui as we can.

I still can't decide between the west and the south. It seems like there is more to do in the west - but that the south is closer to other attractions that we might enjoy (volcano, ziplines, road to Hana). I've decided that we definately want to spend at least some of the time on Kaanapali beach and have booked a refundable room at the Hyatt. (I can change up until 72 hours of the actual trip.)

Here are the options I'm considering:

1. Stay at the Hyatt Maui for one week. On the last Friday morning, check out and drive the road to Hana and stay at a hotel in Hana. Get back to the airport by Saturday in time for a 3pm flight.

2. Stay all 8 nights at the Hyatt and the the road to Hana on a day trip only.

3. Split time between the Hyatt Maui and a resort in Wialea spending 4 nights at each place. Do a day trip Road to Hana somewhere in the middle of the vacation.

So what do you think?

TravelTess Nov 26th, 2005 01:55 PM

I think it's crazy. Stay in one place and check out the different parts of the island while you're there. You'll waste a good part of the day packing, unpacking and checking in when you could be touring.

OldSouthernBelle Nov 26th, 2005 02:25 PM

I agree with Tess, esp. with teenagers involved! Kaanapali is the place for them, in my opinion.

Belle

sceneisle Nov 26th, 2005 03:19 PM

If you opt to spend 4 nights in two different resorts, you could always use your check-out/check-in day for the trip to Hana; that way, that day won't be wasted.

dreamathers Nov 26th, 2005 04:45 PM

My husband and I stayed in Wailea and loved it - very relaxing and lots of good beaches for snorkeling. But I think that with two teens you are far better off staying at the Hyatt the entire time. Wailea really isn't that much closer to the other attractions you mentioned. And with 8 days there you are better off just taking a day trip to explore the southern beaches. Your teens will appreciate the activity around Kaanapali, Wailea is much more serene.

sk84fungirl Nov 27th, 2005 08:46 AM

I was in Maui in April for a week and split my stay between Kaanapali and Wailea. I have absolutely no regrets. Packing was a non-issue.

There were no children with me. As a result, not sure of the impact of switching hotels. I had a wonderful time in each area. Stayed at Renaissance Wailea and the Hyatt regency.

Can't wait to get to Kuaui next. Hoping to go next October, but have a feeling it may be 2007 before I can get back. Enjoy your trip.

LindainOhio Nov 27th, 2005 11:39 AM

We spent 10 days on Maui with teens and stayed in Kaanapali but spent several days in Wailea--our son fell in love with Big Beach. It was about a 40 minute drive.

Our kids least favorite thing in Maui was the Road to Hana. It is a beautiful drive but it took us about 8 hours to do the whole drive--just too long to be in the car, even with the stops. We were all ready to be done driving when we got to Hana. It would have been nice to spend the night there. We will do that next time.

DawnCt Nov 27th, 2005 12:07 PM

When we did Hana, we drove all of the way around. Very scenic, almost "moonscape" like on the otherside of Haleakala.

TravelTess Nov 27th, 2005 08:04 PM

We're getting off track from the poster's question but I must say that your family would more than likely love the trip all the way around Hana. Make sure you purchase the CD and MAUI REVEALED when doing the road. Spending the night at the Hana Hotel is an ideal way to do the trip. It's far, far from boring. It's very adventurous and one of the those once in a lifetime must-do experiences.

bonniebroad Nov 27th, 2005 08:41 PM

lllaros, with teens in tow, I would stay the entire time at the Hyatt in Kaanapali, and take a couple of day trips to the Wailea beaches. I would do the road to Hana ONLY if the teens (and you) have no problem with motion sickness ... Happy planning! ((r))

riggsie Nov 28th, 2005 07:05 AM

Hi lllaros - going for the 4th time with our kids.. this trip in March 2006 boys will be 12 and 14 and are staying at the Kaanapali Shores 5 nights and Westin for 3 nights to splurge at the end of the trip for the boys with the Westin Pool. We love Big Beach toon and will drive there for the day a couple of time but with teenagers Kaanapali Beach is the place to be. Don't forget to bring a couple of cell phones so they can be a little independent but still be in touch along the board walk. We would not think of spending a day doing the road to Hana. Our boys would be totally bored. We are planning on taking them around the west side of Maui past Kapalua for the Blow Hole and fresh banana bread. Good luck and have a great time.

OldSouthernBelle Nov 28th, 2005 12:55 PM

The cell phone suggestion is not a bad one.
You may want to check with the Hyatt and see if they can rent you phones. I found out after the fact that HHV on Oahu does this!

Belle

riggsie Nov 29th, 2005 10:03 AM

I contacted my cell phone carrier and just need to let them know about 2 weeks before we are leaving and they will put us on national plan for the time we are gone.

phillymazes Dec 4th, 2005 07:54 AM

We advise: 1) stick with accomodations that are central to the west and south, perhaps Wailea, so that most everything worthwhile for say trips (upper west side, Paia and cowboy country, etc.) is within range, and 2) try to find our post "argument against the hana road" from back in May, way down on the postings menu, which has many pros and cons to think through.

RiverRanger Dec 5th, 2005 09:12 AM

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon in Maui (trip report coming soon) and we stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea. We loved it, service was excellent and not many kids around, although they do have an adult's only pool! We did find ourselves however, traveling to the central and western parts of Maui quite frequently (Lahaina for luau and shows, Walmart, etc.) We didn't mind the driving but its certainly something to consider. My vote is for staying in one spot, the traffic is really not bad (ie Wailea to Lahaina takes about 25-30 minutes) and we never experienced any traffic.