Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Specific Vegas Food Recommendations: Brunch, Burgers, Steak (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/specific-vegas-food-recommendations-brunch-burgers-steak-820809/)

iffy44 Jan 9th, 2010 07:12 AM

Specific Vegas Food Recommendations: Brunch, Burgers, Steak

I know Vegas dining has been done to death on these boards, but I've sifted through and am still unsure on what to choose for my upcoming trip, so I'm hoping for some more specific advice. I'm going with my husband in a month for a long wkend and we love to eat out, but don't nec. want to break the bank and don't nec. need buffets either. We'd like a steakhouse as our one splurge (maybe $200 total?) and then keep the rest mid-range. Specifically here is what we need...

-2 brunches or lunches - Bouchon and Mon Ami Gabi sounded great - too much French? any other good alternatives, and/or options that are more lunch than brunch?

-1 late lunch - I'm thinking burgers - was between Burger Bar or BLT but have seen so many mixed reviews on both! Maybe we just scrap it all and take a cab to the nearest In-n-Out?

-2 mid-range dinners - Lotus of Siam sounded great, then need 1 more

-1 great steak dinner in our budget?

Please help if you can and thanks so much in advance!!

bratsandbeer Jan 9th, 2010 07:26 AM

We like the Stripburger at Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba. Easy location on the strip by the Fashion Mall.

http://lasvegasstripburger.com/map.html

logandog Jan 9th, 2010 07:41 AM

My 26 year old son claims that Kraft Steak at the MGM is the best steak he has ever eaten.

abram Jan 9th, 2010 05:33 PM

We liked Yama Sushi--about 10 minutes off the Strip. We didn't have it, but their all-you-can-eat special is $22.95.

brmsimmons Jan 9th, 2010 07:17 PM

Brunch buffets at Bellagio or Wynn are a must!

stumpworks73 Jan 10th, 2010 04:08 AM

My experience at Mon Ami Gabi is total mediocrity.

beanweb24 Jan 11th, 2010 06:57 PM

The Burger Bar is great. I'm a vegetarian, but I dined there with 4 carnivores...we all really enjoyed our meal. Lots of interesting toppings to choose from! Their beer list is the best I've seen so far in Vegas as well.

lgott Jan 11th, 2010 09:36 PM

Bouchon is a very good place to get simply prepared French dishes. While it's good at dinner, it really shines for breakfast or brunch/lunch.

I'm not as enamored with Mon Ami Gabi. The food is OK, but that's about it. The best reason to go there is to eat outside, and watch the people and cars passing by. Depending on the weather, it might be a bit cold; they have heaters, but when I was there they couldn't get some of them to work.

If you decide against Mon Ami Gabi, an alternative is Tableau (at Wynn). Serving modern American selections, it's very good for both breakfast and lunch (or brunch on weekends). The menu is on Wynn's web site at http://www.wynnlasvegas.com/#dining/tableau/ .

As to burgers: I'm a fan of Burger Bar. Their burgers are juicy and flavorful, their milk shakes are excellent, and I can also recommend their sweet potato fries. BLT? I went there only once, and liked my milk shake, but was unimpressed by a rather dry hamburger. I've read the same comment by some other folks, but have also read the exact opposite comment; it's possible there's a quality control problem there.

For mid-range dinners, it's tough to say without knowing your preferences, but since you mentioned Lotus of Siam, I'll assume you're game for anything, and are willing to go off Strip. One possibility is Raku (NOT Sushi Roku), at 5030 Spring Mountain Road. It's a Japanese restaurant, but very different from what most people have experienced. It specializes in robatayaki (a kind of Japanese charcoal grilling), but offers other unusual choices as well. It's a little more expensive than Lotus of Siam, but not terribly so. Reservations are strongly recommended, as it's become extremely popular.

cheryllj Jan 12th, 2010 01:21 PM

Bouchon is very good at brunch. Great bread and pastries, and everything is just done so well. I love that place.

I also like Mon Ami Gabi, but I agree with the above comment that the atmosphere is better than the food (although I like the food fine, it's no Bouchon). The best thing about it is the outdoor patio that is directly across the street from the Bellagio fountains.

SiteC_er Jan 12th, 2010 06:27 PM

For $200 you could easily eat at Bobby Flay's MESA. FYI- Lotus of Siam is not very expensive. I like to go to both restaurants for lunch and save a few $$$ Enjoy!

socialworker Jan 12th, 2010 06:32 PM

Ditto to above recs for Bouchon for brkfst/brunch. So civilized!! Great food, relaxing atmosphere.

iffy44 Jan 21st, 2010 05:47 PM

Thanks all! I will let you know where we end up! These are great suggestions and I really appreciate you helping me navigate this crazy dining landscape!

Gina817 Feb 2nd, 2010 01:25 PM

Another vote for Bouchon!! It is wonderful.

SAnParis2 Feb 2nd, 2010 02:50 PM

Another good steak place is Gallaghers in NYNY & it is likely much less pricey than Kraftsteak. For dinner I like Andre's. Take a look @ www.cheapovegas.com, it should help.

Attnymom Feb 2nd, 2010 03:48 PM

Best steak I had in Vegas was at Prime Steakhouse in the Bellagio. The Eiffel Tower restaurant in Paris also has a great steak and a wonderful view. I agree with everyone else re: Mon Ami Gabi.

toncasmo Feb 2nd, 2010 04:02 PM

i thought you couldn't get brunch at tableu any more? but i do like bouchon. and we just had great meals at burger bar and strip steak. mon ami gabi was just ok in my opinion for brunch

ksucat Feb 2nd, 2010 04:26 PM

I would only do Bouchon for breakfast/brunch..great for champagne and oysters at the bar for dinner.
Love the Wynn at the Country Club (lunch) restaurant, DB brasserie..great 4 course meal for around $40+ with one of the top chefs and a water show too.
Lotus of Siam..off the menu..no buffet for lunch.
Burger Bay at Mandalay is excellent.
Don't eat steak but friends love Kraft, Delmonico's (Bobby Flay's at the Venetian).

toncasmo Feb 2nd, 2010 05:51 PM

oh yeah. we go to bobby flay's every trip!

iffy44 Feb 7th, 2010 05:50 AM

Thanks all! Right now our plans are:

1st day - late lunch @ Burger Bar
2nd day - Wynn brunch, Lotus of Siam dinner
3rd day - Bouchon breakfast/brunch, Delmonico's dinner

This advice has been so helpful, thank you!

toncasmo Feb 7th, 2010 06:11 PM

sounds yummy
wish i was going