Le Parker Meridien or Waldorf

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually stay at Le Parker Meridien in NYC but I see that it is getting some really bad reviews lately. Has anyone stayed there since it became a Sheraton? What about the Waldorf?
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
GoTravel

Le Parker Meridien isn't a Sheraton and has never been a Sheraton.

It is under the Starwood Umbrella is the only relation.

I like LPM better than the WA. Especially the location.

Old May 7th, 2006, 05:01 AM

I wouldn't pick either of them. If you're coming to NYC before Sept., the Rihga Royal is an all suite hotel under renovation. They're offering good rates b/c of the renovation but hotel is still very nice. The Essex House is another good option.
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have stayed at both but not in the last two years. The Parker Meridian is more modern looking. I found their walls to be very thin. I heard everything our neighbors were doing at midnight and didn't enjoy listening to the show.
The Waldorf was a prettier hotel in my opinion. We had a tiny room there using hilton points. The bed was comfortable though and the ambience was nice.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

McLaurie--We are going at the end of July. It looks like the rate for 3 people at the Righa is around $290-$330. Does that sound like a good rate if there still is renovation going on?
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM

We stayed at the Waldorf last August and were very disappointed. The common spaces of the hotel were very nice and have wonderful ambience. However, our two bedroom suite was worse for the wear. The pealing paint and dated everything made a newer Holiday Inn seem luxurious.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:06 AM

That does sound a bit steep for a hotel still under renovation. YOu should doublecheck prices on quikbook.com for your dates. I also see a double double at the Essex House on quikbook on special offer ($255 & $297/night) with slightly higher prices for a parkview room.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:35 AM

we just stayed at Le Parker Meridian, (4-27 thru 4-30-06), great location. (I've never stayed at the Waldorf, just assumed it was too ritzy & elite for us) But, I agree, walls seemed thin. (it seemed like we were in a wind tunnel, we didn't have a view of anything on the 11th floor, except other bldgs, not sure which direction we faced. (we could here people next door, too, but they were not obnoxious, just opening / closing drawers, etc) We had a king size bed which was a wonderful bed, but, the bathroom could have been better.(it was rather small) Faucet was not placed properly on the sink, so, unless you turned on the faucet full blast, it mostly fell on the vanity countertop & you had lots of water to clean up. Also, for some reason, water leaked all over the floor when I took a shower, my roomate remembered to turn the shower head all the way towards the inside tiled wall to prevent cleaning up the lake on the floor. Some others on the trip, had a suite, w/a sitting area separate from the bedroom, & their bath was bigger, it looked fairly nice. Others had nicer rooms at top & had great view of Central Park. If you go up to the roof, there is a roof top deck all around w/"grass" (astroturf?), great view in all directions including Central Park. They even have a lot of lounge chairs up there to enjoy the sun! The lobby was pretty, the restaurant "BURGER JOINT" had good burgers, it's all they served, didn't try Norma's, too pricey. The room was ok for our needs, but, it had very little closet space, a rod behind a curtain. No in-room coffee maker, (which I appreciate & have just assumed almost all hotels have now) I guess because they'd prefer you spend your money at the coffee shop in the lobby. As mentioned above, furniture is modern (like IKEA style). As I've mentioned on this website before, we usually stay across the street at the Salisbury, & although it's not fancy, it suits us women travellers better. But, the location was great! (as is the Salisbury) GOOD LUCK, there's lot's of helpful info on this site
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'm not finding cheaper rates for the Rihga or Le Parker ($335) for July yet. I'll keep checking. In the meantime, if anyone has any new info on these hotels let me know.