Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Special treat for an 80 year old? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/special-treat-for-an-80-year-old-463989/)

jjkaine Aug 1st, 2004 10:39 AM

Special treat for an 80 year old?

Having recently lost our mother, my sister and I are taking our 80 year old father to NYC for a 5 night break from the UK this autumn. We have booked theatre, Carnegie Hall, even the Rainbow Room where he once met Duke Ellington! Can anyone recommend anything really special we can do with him as a surprise which would be extra to the sights of the city? He is fit and healthy and we want it to be a holiday to remember. Thank you for any suggestions.

mclaurie Aug 1st, 2004 11:30 AM

Without knowing a bit more about his interests, I can only suggest some things others like. Just a word of warning first. If you Mother is recently gone, be careful about taking him to places he went with her. It could make him blue.

Now, in good weather, some sort of boat ride is a great way to spend a few hours and appreciate the city. Options range from a free Staten Island Ferry ride (where you don't get off)...just have a nice view of the Statue of Liberty and the skyline while doing a round trip. A Circle Line boat ride (a half circle is usually enough) is a pricier option. The Statue of Liberty should be open by the time you arrive so going there (by boat) is also a possibility. Many people love the museum at Ellis Island. There are also now water taxis (nywatertaxi.com)that provide different options from using them as a hop on hop off tour to just transport to get to Brooklyn.

People also seem to love the Tenement Museum on the lower east side. Have a look at their website, it offers different tours.

If he's into military history, the Intrepid museum might interest him

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/exhibits_x-exhibits.html

You should have a look at the events calendar on nycvisits.com and see if there are any special things he'd like going on while you'll be here.

If he's an Ellington fan, there's a great big band concert every Friday at Birdland by the Lew Anderson band from 5:30-7:30pm. The Ellington band also plays there sometimes. Here's the website http://www.birdlandjazz.com/main.html
but the schedule is only up through Sept 2.

Finally, there's another thread going right now about people's favorite "tips" gotten on this site. Walking the Brooklyn Bridge seems to be a winner. I've still never done it, but lots of people say it's tops!! Hope this helps.

Marilyn Aug 1st, 2004 11:41 AM

A warning about the Tenement Museum: it involves quite a few steps to go up in the preserved tenement building. No problem if your father is in good shape, but definitely something to consider.

I really loved Ellis Island, but as mclaurie said, what are his particular interests?

jor Aug 1st, 2004 11:52 AM

How about getting tickets to one of the TV shows like Jay Leno, David Letterman, Jon Stewart, Ellan Degeneras. But I don't know if any of these are shown in the UK. Or go to Rockefeeler Plaza with a sign that says your father came from England to be on the Today Show......A popular live morning show where people can get their "15 minutes of fame"

eliztrav Aug 5th, 2004 09:04 AM

If he is enjoying something at Carnegie Hall, why not look into what's on at Lincoln Center? And, there's a terrific tour there, as well. One of Lincoln Center and one of the Metropolitan Opera.

In good weather, Central Park is a nice respite. On weekends, it lives up to its reputation as Manhattanites' back yard!

clarkgriswold Aug 5th, 2004 10:27 AM

Be sure to take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry.

bugswife1 Aug 5th, 2004 11:13 AM

Find out who is playing at the cabaret Oak Room at the Algonquin Hotel. We love seeing the singers there. Also, anything at Lincoln Center is a treat.

Pappy Aug 5th, 2004 12:29 PM

Take him to Times Square and get him a hummer.

Elizabeth Aug 10th, 2004 06:22 PM

This is so nice.

1. Tour of Radio City is supposed to be great. Backstage etc. Might coordinate with Rainbow Room (same building complex) depending on time of your dinner reservation.

2. Plan a meal at the Boathouse in Central Park - make sure it is open when you will be here, I guess. It is a beautifully situated place, right in the park by the rowboat lake. Lunch or tea I would say so as to enjoy the view and setting.

3. The little zoo in Central Park is another beautiful place. You can have a cup of tea or coffee in its quite democratic (i.e. = paper plates) cafe.

4. Does he like museums at all? if so think of the Frick (instead of, or along with, the Metropolitan Museum). It is interesting because it is in a robber-baron era mansion. Not very big, great collection, and check listings, sometimes there's a chamber music thing going on.

5. Also check listings for live music on the balcony at the Metroppolitan Museum - I think on Fridays (someone here will know much better) - you can sit at a cafe table and have a glass of wine or something, or wander around and hear it as background music.

6. If you go to the Intrepid, or to the Staten Island Ferry - anything down on the lower tip of the island - for a meal, go to Steamers Landing, in Battery Park City - only restaurant I know that is right on the water. Not expensive, average food, best if it's nice enough to sit outside.