'Special' Restaurant in Daytona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone want to suggest a nice restaurant in the Daytona area? My grandparents have been staying at Ocean East for 20+ years and do eat out fairly often. My husband and I will be joining them for 4 days this year and want to take them someplace wonderful. Price range isn't something I'm worried about.

The guise is for grandma's birthday, but really we want to take them out for fun! We want to get dressed up and all that... ideas?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM

You could do the Chart House or Aunt Catfish's. I believe there are some nice places down near Ponce Inlet...but for the life of me I can't remember any names.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Aunt Catfish is someplace we go for brunch quite a bit, but the Charthouse is one that I didn't think of. Thanks Rizzo...

Anyone else have suggestions?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Stonewoods, definitely. It is really good and MUCH better than Aunt Catfish's. The other really good place is La Crepe En Haut (French and expensive).
They have probably been to both places. Why don't you take them out for a drive to St Augustine and go to the restaurant in the Casa Monica Hotel? VEry nice - I believe they still have a Sunday jazz brunch as well.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
nlg

I would suggest the River Grill.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM

I also live here and can reinforce the recommendations of River Grill, Stonewood and La Crepe. The latter is the only place that accepts and requires reservations/jackets for men as well.
Aunt Catfish's is great for brunch/lunch, but definitely not a dress up place for dinner.
A newer restaurant is in The Shores Spa & Resort (the old Hilton in the DBS) - their restaurant "Baleen" is very elegant.
Good luck!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I hadn't checked in almost a week (gasp!) to see that I had answers.

I've been to Stonewood in Orlando - we had a fantastic side room - but we were a big group. The L C N H appeals to me, but isn't the Charthouse where swanky Yachts can pull right up? Unforunately I'm there Wed-Sat, so I couldn't do the St. Aug brunch- that sounds perfect!

I will be looking up the River Grill and the Shores now.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Yes, the Chart House is on the river and has a great view of the marina . . it is not as formal as LCEH, Baleen . . about the same as Stonewood.
Enjoy and have fun!
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

OK, I ate fabulously across FL, but I have to remember this is in response to my original question!

'THE' birthday dinner ended up being at a new place, Fresh - I would HIGHLY recommend it! When I google it I can see pictures, but the links from restaurant.com don't work... The pics are accurate, but there are two more rooms not shown.

Fresh
1130 S Ridgewood Ave
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
(386) 947-9736

People were talking about it at the resort all week and we went on Friday night. Walked in with no reservation - thought we were crazy, but at 6:45 we got right in! It actually seemed like people may have been scared of the 'crowds' for Easter weekend and not been going out, we saw many places not full on the drive there.

Anyway, Fresh serves wine in mini-wooden barrels that sit right on your table. We clearly misunderstood our server as 2 of us sharing white got a medium barrel - and the one red got a small - almost 3 glasses for him, 6 in the medium - we were drinking liberally! Both were also nice house wines. We can be wine snobs and only decided to try them because of the unique barrel idea, thankfully we were pleasantly surprised at the quality.

The eggplant app was wonderful, as was the bread and bruschetta- tomates like I haven't seen in forever in NY! So plump and fresh - to die for! Then I had seafood fra diavlo - amazing! Best I've ever had - nice spice, thick tomato feel, and loaded with seafood! Calamari - not at all rubbery-, mussels, shrimp, scallops. Wonderful!

DH had the seafood risotto, which came served over a WHOLE snapper. The risotto was excellent, but the presentation scared me off!

Veal marsala for one person that loved it, special of haddock w/ crab stuffing for the other. All raved, even went for dessert!

Tiramisu was finished immediately, and we also had the lightest - almost whipped in consistency - cheesecake ever.

Since I know you are all wondering... 4 of us, I believe 2 apps and desserts, w tip just under $200. 2.5 hours, nicely done without being formal. People who like to dress up a bit to go out will be comfortable, as will the people who like to where their casual attire at night. Servers were knowledgeable and attentive - overall an A+... try it!

PS - had a TERRIBLE experience at Ormond Beach Stonewood, but great in Orlando - hit or miss sometimes! Seasons 52 in Orlando is not to be missed if you are given the chance...