Search

What's up in Puyallup?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's up in Puyallup?

Hi~
I have an opportunity for temporary employment (3 months) in Puyallup area. I currently live in GA and will be moving solo. I know it is a beautiful area with lots to see and do, and I love the outdoors (hiking) so that's a plus. Any advice would be greatly appreciated re: lifestyle, cost of living, singles, etc....
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:41 PM
ALF

Puyallup (PUE-al-up) used to be out in the boonies, but now it is on the outer edge of Tacoma's suburbs. There is a lot of new growth, with new condo developments and shopping malls. It's a short drive to Mt. Rainier, which lies to the southeast. If you like hiking, there are a huge number of options there, as well as the surrounding National Forests and Wilderness Areas.

An apartment will probably run at least $600 per month
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 08:00 AM

$600 a month in Puyallup, you must be joking! Only if you want to live in a crappy apartment. The nicer apts go for $700-800. (Take it from me, I grew up not too far away in the Parkland area near Pacific Lutheran University)

There is tons to do in Puyallup and the surrounding area. Mt. Rainier isn't too far away. Seattle is close too. Tacoma is near Puyallup and offers a wonderful zoo, a nice shopping mall, etc. The whole area is metro or surburban so pretty much anything you can do in a city, you can do here.

By the way, when are you coming? The Puallup Fair is in September. It is the largest fair west of the Mississippi.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 08:49 AM

If you have the choice between Puyallup and Santa Barbara(as your other post implies), I'd say go with Santa Barbara.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:02 PM

theladyjess: "It is the largest fair west of the Mississippi". Maybe so, I haven't been there. I do know the Los Angeles County Fair advertises itself as the "largest fair in the world".
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 07:40 PM

Wait a minute. Grew up in Seattle ALWAYS went to the P fair....now live in LA and trust me.....the LA fair is a zillion times bigger than the P one. But some how I do think the one in P is more charming...maybe because it is so small....I once won a baby yellow duck at that fair. Named him Huey!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied! Guess I'll have to go try out both these fairs now to see which on IS actually the biggest!