Special Occasion Restaurant in Sanibel/Captiva

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like several people just returned from Sanibel/Captiva; I tried this thread once before, but didn't get very many positive recommendations; so here goes again: I'm looking for a restaurant to celebrate my anniversary which will fall when we are in Sanibel. The rest of the time we'll be going kid-friendly, but good, upscale adult recommendations is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:36 PM

I may have responded to your previous thread - if so, just ignore this! We had our anniversary dinner at Thistles at Casa Ybel and were sorely disappointed by the mediocre food - little creativity and bland presentation. However, from what I've read on this board, the chefs change frequently there and it might be worth checking out! It is a beautiful restaurant with a gorgeous view, and service was good.

Other than Thistles, I can't personally recommend a place b/c we ate at more casual seafood places most of the time. I've heard good things about Jacaranda and the Mad Hatter, as well as Key Lime Bistro (which is sort of "casual upscale").

If you don't get enough responses here, you could always check in at the sanibel yahoo group - I think they did a poll on favorite restaurants - it's at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/san-cap/

I'm sure you will have a lovely anniversary - it would be hard not to on such a stunning island!
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:34 PM

I found this website with menus for Sanibel-Captiva.http://www.cuisine-scene.com/ It is a good reference.
Hope it helps.
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:57 PM

We had a really nice dinner at the Green Flash on Captiva which has more of an adult, casual upscale atmosphere. Many tables overlooking the water. It looked a little more upscale than Key Lime Bistro and Madhatter (which are both also supposed to be good). Also, the ride to Captiva from Sanibel will be very nice; Captiva is a bit more lush and tropical feeling than Sanibel.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM

La Dolce Vita.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all of you!--just wondering where La Dolce Vita is

thank you,

Mary
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:09 PM

La Dolce Vita is on Sanibel on Periwinkle Way (the main drag !). We have eaten there,"city" type with band and a singer. Good food.
Also enjoyed Mad Hatter and more casual Key Lime Bistro (also had entertainment). We liked sitting on the patio at KLBistro, but there's no view if you're looking for that.
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:07 AM

I'm not a big Mad Hatter fan unless you are here in high season (Jan-Easter) A lot of the really top help here is just here for "season".
I've had two really wretched meals at this cute little shack on the beach. I think its venue has everything to do with its charm.
It is right on the beach and the only restaurant where you can sit inside and watch the sunset. just don't order scallops in white chocolate

Another choice other than Dolce Vita (which is favored by local people as it is close to the causeway entrance to Sanibel) would be at the opposite end of these barrier islands. Kings Crown is the signature restaurant in South Seas Plantation (er Resort). There has been a huge change here in the past few years and it is now a very lovely restaurant with excellent food. It is now open to the public instead of being restricted to resort guests and residents. This allows them to have a good volume so they can stay in business and more importantly keep staff. LMF
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:32 AM

Sanibel Steakhouse on Periwinkle. Our kids took us there for our 50th anniversary and the food was outstanding. It is not on the water, but the service was excellent.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:25 AM

No one has mentioned Kings Crown at South Seas Resort? Is there a reason for this?

http://www.south-seas-resort.com/index.cfm/name-dining

I thought it was 5 star, but perhaps not - if you make a reservation ask for a table with a sea view - beautiful! It is definitely the grandest place on the two islands and you dont' have to be a resort guest to eat there.

Here's the review... http://cityguide.news-press.com/fe/D...kingscrown.asp

Happy Anniversary! Kristy
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Actually Kristy, LilMsFoodie just above you has recommended the King's Crown. Also, one of my favorite dining websites, chowhounds, has a brand new favorable review of this restaurant. Here's the URL:
http://www.chowhound.com/south/board...ges/12696.html
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:34 PM

We also recently returned from Sanibel..... I would highly recommend the Mad Hatter at the tip of the island just before going over the bridge to Captiva. It seats 25-30, beverages: only wine & champagne.... The food was exquisite tasting and the presentation was elegant. Not your ordinary restaurant. Call for reservations. I can't wait to go back... next year. Enjoy!!
Midge
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

I am belated in a big thank you for all the replies! Appreciate the time everyone took and I'll write back with reviews when we return.

Thanks again,

Mary
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Just got back from Captiva and wish we'd tried Mad Hatter now! Green Flash was nice atmosphere, good food, waitress very slow but good experience. Personally, I love Mucky Duck for both dinner and drinks on patio best of all. Just wish I hadn't brought biting critters home w/us to NYC! Calling exterminator asap! Have fun, bring bug spray for dusk!!