Special news in Denver/surrounding area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: Okay, guys. You are good at this. Where in Denver would be a special, romantic spot to tell my husband some great news that he has been waiting to hear? Three years ago I was going to post it on a billboard in Times Square but things did not work out. I don't think they even offer that anymore in T.S. (It was a Joe Boxer deal.) Not that I am into big displays it's just that in Times Square there is so much activity going on for others to notice.

Since our anniversary is next week & we will just happen to be in Denver I am planning to tell him then. You know, really catch him off-guard. I know nothing about Denver. Got any suggestions? How is Pike's Peak this time of year?

I would say this is the female equivilent of a proposal but of course by this time the commitment is a pretty sure thing. Just want to make it extra special.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Ooohhh...this is fun. Maybe you could arrange for a special "tour" of Coors Field (where the Rockies play--very cool) and tell him on home plate. If you have a day to go to the mountains (an hour-two hour drive from Denver depending on where you go), you could tell him on a ski lift at the top of a mountain. Some ski resorts will give you a pass just to ride the gondola and not ski...I think Copper Mountain and/or Vail might do that. Especially if you told them why you wanted to do it. There's a butterfly pavillion between Denver & Boulder...I haven't been there, but a room full of butterflies seems to be a good place to give someone some good news. Good luck!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM

How about the Flagstaff House restaurant? It's in the mountains overlooking Boulder (a remarkable view thru floor-to-ceiling windows). It also has incredible food.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Our son's brother-in-law proposed at the top of Vail. Some place in the Oxford Hotel? The Cruise Room--an art deco cocktail lounge that is lots of fun.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I will look into these when I get home tonight. This is fun having this little secret that only you guys & the Receptionist at the Dr.'s office knows. I feel so devious. I have a week so I will consider all ideas. Where can I find out what is going on next weekend?
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Ani

diart: Congrats! And you have amazing patience! DH and I tried for almost 2 years to conceive and during those 2 years I came up with every plan imagineable to tell him...the morning I found out it was all shot to hell...I just blurted it out. Lame! Sounds like you will do a much better job of it!
In Denver-there are horsedrawn carriages on 16th street...not sure if that's your thing...
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:38 PM
jenifer

Congrats on what sounds like a long-awaited miracle!

Something I always thought would be fun (and it can be done anywhere) is to secretly give a card or something else that indicates the news to the waiter when you go out to dinner, and have him bring it to your husband with his drink.

To find out what's happening in Denver, one place to check is http://denver.citysearch.com

Have fun, and no matter what you decide on it will be special. How can that news not be?

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these ideas. I think I will not go the restaurant route just because I can imagine too many things going wrong.

I ordered him a "I'm gonna be a FATHER" golf shirt a few minutes ago. I think I will give him an early "birthday" present. (His b-day is the 12th.) Just gotta find the right spot.

Do you know if this next weekend (Feb. 7-8) is supposed to be slow? There does not seem to be a lot going on that I could find. No sports, broadway shows, concerts, special events. That's okay if there is nothing -- maybe even preferable -- since we don't have much time in town. Just wondering if I missed something. Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:19 PM

If you like theater, Boulder Dinner Theatre is showing Chicago. I have seen the showw, and it is one of the best local productions I have seen.
Before the show they annouce any special occasions that people are celebrating. You just have to call ahead and tell them what you would like them to say. They are very accomodating to your requests and try to make it special. Food is basic, but a good value for the price. www.theatreinboulder.com
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Another fun spot in downtown Denver is SingSing. A club in lower downtown near Coors Field. They have dueling piano players that play upbeat songs and the crowd sings along. It sound cheesy, but it really is a lot of fun. Everytime we have gone, we have to drag people out to go home. I have seen them annouce engagements in the middle of the song. They will even change lyrics to a song to take you off guard.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

We love the theater & we've seen Chicago in NYC. We may want to go for the heck of it.

Even tho I was willing to post this in Times Square it's not something that I want announced where everyone would stare at us you know? Manhattan has so much going on no one would have paid any attention to us. I appreciate the response though.

I have decided that since I will am about to explode as it is & I am afraid I'll blurt it out as soon as we touch down in Denver I will tell him during breakfast when we get there. We are talking about picking up breakfast at some cute little shop & driving to somewhere beautiful just to get our bearings. It's not like this is going to take long . I asked if there was a lodge somewhere close so that we could have breakfast there but so far no ideas.

Anyway, I am sooo looking forward to this. I had not really thought about Denver as a place for this sort of thing but it just worked that way and I think it will be great. We were coming to bring a homeless rescued rat terrier to a new home in Colorado Springs but that fell through. We already had a flight & I then found out so we're going with it "to celebrate our anniversary".

We leave in 24 hours. Gotta take my pooches to the doggie hotel now. thanks again.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Well, we are back & it was PERFECT!!!! We got to Denver very early & we were going to visit a place my husband loved as a kid but when we got there it wasn't as he remembered so we went to plan b. I was getting so nervous -- now I know how a man about to propose must feel even when he knows the answer will be "yes". It was 9 a.m. & check in was not until 3 so we did the aqaurium, antique shops, casa bonita (another place my husband remembered), etc. None of those places were appropriate to share my big news. When we got to the hotel they already knew what was up. While my husband was parking the car the front desk guy talked his Sup. into giving us an upgrade to one of the luxury suites! It was incredible. (He also offered to send up a bottle of champagne but I reminded him I couldn't have any!)

When we got to the room & put things away I sent hubby to another room so I could prepare. He didn't even know I had brought these big gifts with me. Anyway, he opened the first one which was the polo shirt that said, "I'm going to be a Father!!". He was completely dumbfounded!! He teared up, I teared up, he was afraid that I was pulling some horrible joke on him -- not that I would ever be so cruel -- he just wants this so badly. Anyway, he opened the others (sonogram picture, daddy's survival kit, etc.). He loved every bit of it!! He is sooo excited but a little scared also of course. I am soooo glad everything went perfectly. I am especially glad now that I told him in the room. That turned out to be the best spot since we both got so emotional & it was such a private moment and besides, lots of things could have gone wrong. Anyway, I am writing this very very quickly & I need to go -- just wanted to report that it was a wonderful, wonderful experience!!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:06 AM

How wonderful! Congratulations!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Congratulations regarding the baby!!! Glad everything worked out so perfectly.(What I really want to know is why you were bringing a rat (terrier, that is) to Colorado?)
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Tess

Congratulations! Where did you stay in Denver?

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Add me to those tearing up! Congratulations! It's wonderful to see people who want a baby so much and are blessed with one.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much and sorry that I asked for advice then went my own way. (annoying, huh?) Well, I knew I would have to play this by ear but we did do some fun Colorado things in the short time we had.

As far as bringing a rat terrier, I do my own "rescue effort" when I find a dog that is about to be euthenized or taken to the pound. I found a lady in Colorado Springs that wanted a rattie that was about to be euthenized here in Austin --perfectly healthy. The current owner is just a nut. Anyway, we were going to take the dog to the new owner but the current owner changed her mind. For now, anyway. I saw it as a good opportiunity to spend a couple of days in CO. so we just continued the trip as planned.

I hope this does not get deleted but if anyone is looking for any kind of pet (dog, cat, pig, horse, bird, whatever) there is a wonderful website petfinder. com. It is a database for rescues, animal shelters, individuals, etc. to post the available pets starting in your zip code & sorting by distance. You can specify age, gender, breed, etc. They do not require info from you. I found both of my dogs on this site. One is a Corgi that we paid $15 for. He was 7 months, neutered, potty-trained, up-to-date on shots. They have all kinds, mutts, pure breds, old, young, apartment dwellers, indoor or outdoor pets.

Enough about that. I don't know how I found the site but I try to let people know about it. They also list Lost & Found as well as a library of info to help with you raise your pet. check it out sometime.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Thank you so much for letting us be part of your wonderful story! It brought a warmth to this day that even these Wisconsin winds couldn't chill.