Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Special Boston Birthday (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/special-boston-birthday-752591/)

joannecam Dec 10th, 2007 10:56 AM

Special Boston Birthday

Anyone have a suggestion regarding a great hotel experience in Boston for this January? We have stayed at the Boston Harbor Hotel (loved it), Nine Zero (also good), 4 Seasons, and the Marriot and Westin in Copley Square, but always like to try some place new. Checked out VX Beacon, but at $400 a night, well I just can't believe it is that much nicer than the Boston Harbor Hotel. Any opinions on the Eliot? The Lennox? The Custom House? I am looking for a great experience that is worth the cost, which tends to be a bit more affordable in January. Thanks in advance. Joanne

wyatt92 Dec 10th, 2007 11:34 AM

How about the new Intercontinental or Westin Waterfront?

hlsam Dec 10th, 2007 01:35 PM

I second the Intercontinental. While I haven't stayed there since I live in Boston, the lobby and restaurants and interesting and it is right on the water. My second suggestion would be the new jail hotel over near MGH..

escargot Dec 10th, 2007 03:20 PM

Depends on what you want to do in town - if you want to walk everywhere conveniently that might impact your choice.

The new jail hotel would be the Liberty Hotel -
great bar, don't know anyone who has stayed there yet -

The Eliot is a great hotel in a wonderful walking location with beautiful rooms - we stayed there a year or so ago but have also had many relatives stay there and love it.

We also love the Fairmont Copley, especially the Gold Floor -a nd the Oak Room is a fabulous restaurant - great steaks and I think, the best Chateaubriand, wonderful salmon/oyster options - a night of fine dining in a quiet, elegant dining room - and the Oak Bar is always fun (thought costly) for a drink and/or light jazz/music.

Friends visiting us recently stayed at the Jury Hotel in Boston and enjoyed their room, on the smaller size they thought but thought the hotel was lovely -

china_cat Dec 10th, 2007 05:55 PM

there are some good ideas here. Just to throw out something different, what about the Charles in Harvard Square? rooms are pretty nice, but the best part is being able to go anyplace in the square in minutes. DInner at Rialto, or music at the Regattabar without even going outside.

I've heard great things about the ELiot, but have never stayed there. I also think checking out the Liberty would be fun.

TahitiTams Dec 10th, 2007 07:36 PM

We stayed at the Westin Waterfront that is a new hotel that we found on Expedia for $229 a night for Boston which is a very good deal..we had a nice corner suite with the heavenly beds and good room size with the harbor view and we walked to downtown..10+ minutes or the T across the street.
We really like this place..especially since we saved about $300 a night which I could spend on food and drinks!
The Langham Hotel seems lovely as well.
All the best.