Speaking of Hawaiian music

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to a show with Fleetwood's Island Rumors Band?
The names in the band and their backgrounds sounds interesting but can't find anything about any bookings.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:20 PM

The band has done a couple of concerts here in the islands, but the majority of their gigs are private -- parties for the well-heeled here in Hawai`i, and on the USA mainland.

Willie K is one of the band members, and the event calendar on his site includes "Isl. Rumours" gig dates. Last weekend the band was performing at a private party in Michigan, they've got a private gig this week somewhere in the islands -- and they're tentatively booked for a private gig in Hong Kong in September.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Music lovers should be aware that the Kauai Music Festival will include awesome concerts artists/writers from the islands and the mainland (including me!): Fri. & Sat. August 1 & 2.

www.kauaimusicfestival.com

The shows are at the Kauai Beach Resort and are open to the public.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM

sd - will Jake Shimabukuro be there and play? see ya there
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM

No Jake at either of this year's KMF concerts -- but here's the island music lineup for the Friday night concert (8/1 @ Hilton Kaua`i Beach Resort 8pm):
Roland Cazimero, Ernie Cruz, Jr., John Cruz, Paula Fuga, The Girlas, Keale, Kohala, Hoku Zuttermeister

Saturday night's concert is contemporary music -- by mainland musicians. For details about both events:
http://www.kauaimusicfestival.com/concert/
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Hey! They left my picture off -- but I'll be performing at the Saturday night Gala, too
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Well, a little bird told me that Mick and Rick Vito will be sitting in with Eric Gilliom and Barry Flanagan at tonight's Kaanapali Nights. And Sunday night Mick Fleetwood's Blues Band is playing at Mulligan's in Wailea. The Blues Band lineup is Mick, Rick Vito, Lenny on bass, but I expect we'll be seeing a few of the Island Rumours guys as well. Eric told me he'd be there, not sure if Willie will be there or not. I know Rai won't be there because she's in Japan this weekend.

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone we'll have to keep our ears open.
We've got recordings by all of the members and we saw Rai at Spam Jam and really enjoyed her.
It's tough getting Hawaiian artists here in the midwest although Jake has been around and I see Ledward is in KC in August.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Jake is appearing on Maui July 27th, Sunday at 6 pm, Baldwin high school auditorium, open to the public. It is some kind of benefit concert for a 16 year old boy with cancer and also for the Ronald McDonald House charities of Hawaii. Other artists include slack key grammy artist George Kahumoku, Gloria Swanson, reggae recording artist Marty Dread, comic Kathy "Da Tita" Collins, possibly Barry Flanagan of Hapa. Sounds like a pretty good line up.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:16 AM

that's too bad, he is the most talented uke player living today.

an oldie but a goodie, Jake playing, "While my guitar gently weeps," by the Beatles - enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:29 AM

That video of Jake is INCREDIBLE. Mahalo for posting the link. He is absolutely astounding.

FYI, when I drive around Kauai -- and when I need a dose of Kauai back home -- my favorite album is by an artist named Makana. It's called Journey of Hawaiian Slack Key. Beautiful.

I can hardly wait to listen -- while driving around Kauai in 5 more days!!!