Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Space Bags? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/space-bags-659307/)

LadyPhoenix Nov 17th, 2006 03:08 AM

Space Bags?

Anyone heard of these, made by American Tourister? They have infomercials, but Walgreens carry them in-store and online. We are considering using them to conserve space inside our luggage, but wonder if others have used them in the past...

Loki Nov 17th, 2006 03:26 AM

They do a good job of compressing the clothing so you can fit more but the clothes tend to end up very wrinkled so expect some serious pressing when you get to your destination. Also, keep in mind baggage weight limits because now that you can fit more in a bag, they seem to approach 50# quickly if you're using teh space bags to fit 2 bags worth of clothes into one.

No_name Nov 17th, 2006 03:26 AM

We love them. They are not a durable as I had hoped but at least they are not too expensive. We have a few bags dedicated strictly to dirty cloths so it leaves more room in the suitcase for things we are bringing home from vacation.

bookhall Nov 17th, 2006 05:08 AM

Hefty makes some jumbo sliding-lock bags, as does Ziploc. The former are 2.5-gal., about 14x16, and have the little plastic slider lock. We use 'em for both travel and storage.

BayouGal Nov 17th, 2006 05:19 AM

I was glad to hear those work, bookhall.

We have been using gallon size freezer bags forever to conserve packing space. Started when we began backpacking in our 20s. It's nice because you have individual bags, and you don't have to open/reopen as often. We label each bag because sometimes it's tough to remember all you have crammed in there. :)

gail Nov 17th, 2006 05:21 AM

There are several plastic bag types. Regular ziplocks work OK, but they don't really compress stuff.

There are the kind you hook up to a vacuum cleaner - never tried, but seem good for home storage only, unless you travel with a vacuum cleaner.

The other kind - with a sliding zipper on the top that you roll from one end to get the air out. I have had good luck with these, purchased in large drugstores, Target, etc.

Just remember that by cramming all that stuff into a suitcawse, it will weigh a lot more than if you just packed.

DebitNM Nov 17th, 2006 06:14 AM

The "space bags" are great at home for storing big bulky things like down comforters etc.

In order to get max. out of them, you do have to use a vacuum to get the air out. I bought some jumbo ones from WalMart and there was a bonus clothing sized one in the box. This one did not require the use of a vacuum so it was really nothing more than a ziplock bag that has the plastic slider thing on the top.

I used the biggie ones that are mentioned above on recent trip and was able to simply squish out most of the air and it stayed out.

I have been using plastic bags to put my clothes in when packing for some time now. I started doing it when going through bags became a possibility. I do not want anyone touching my clean clothes. On the way home, I usually have any clean clothes still in ziplocks and use hotel'a plastic laundry bags for dirty clothes.

Debi

suze Nov 17th, 2006 07:10 AM

I don't like the idea of 'em, because I feel that just means more "stuff" in my suitcase that I can't even wear (the space bags).

Sure you can get more into the suitcase, but remember that only makes it HEAVIER!

Some people like them because you can be better organized, or pull out just one outfit at a time. For me, they'd be a waste.

J_Correa Nov 17th, 2006 08:14 AM

I use them for bulky, non-wrinkly things like sweaters. Also great for dirty clothes as the trip goes on, as someone mentioned. I don't put everything in them though - due to the issues of wrinkles and overweight luggage. Space bags are also good for small, loose items like socks and underwear - keeps the suitcase neat and also, if your bag is searched by airport security, your skimpies aren't spread all over the counter - LOL.

Scullysioux Nov 17th, 2006 09:21 AM

I found Space Bags work well. I had a lot of extra room in my suitcase for purchases because I put my clothes in the Space Bags. The drawback is they don't last long. They begin to leak and air gets back into the bags which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of them. One or two uses is about what I got out of them. If you get more than that you are lucky. I don't think they are worth what they cost.

janisj Nov 17th, 2006 09:56 AM

I only use a 19 (or occasionally a 21 inch) suitcase and take a Space bag (or another brand -- Pack Mates which are even better) on every trip. But I take it EMPTY and use it to compress dirty clothes an/or sweaters on the return flight. That way I have tons more room for souviners/goodies and don't have to schlepp a separate tote bag.

If you cram it full on the outward leg 1) your suitcase will be heavy and 2) you won't have any space to spare for things you pick up on the trip.

bookhall Nov 17th, 2006 12:43 PM

Always keep thrift stores in mind. If you pick up too much stuff on your trip, you can often pick up a used piece of luggage at the Goodwill or whatever. You'll get it cheap, and it only needs to last for one trip...

Toucan2 Nov 17th, 2006 01:31 PM

I bought the set of bags recently at Brookstone (long layover, time to shop!). Then, I used them on a trip to Switzerland. Yes, you need to remember that smaller doesn't mean lighter!

But, they came in really handy as stated above for the dirty clothes on the way back, and items like socks and sweaters that you don't care wrinkle.

Mine weren't the vacuum type, but I discovered if you simply lay yourself down on them it effectively gets the air out. And you get a gentle breeze past your face(: That's some mental picture isn't it!?

J_Correa Nov 17th, 2006 02:15 PM

Yeah - watch out for that breeze in the face if you've got dirty clothes in that bag ;)

toedtoes Nov 17th, 2006 04:49 PM

I just picked up a couple - no vacuum needed, they have small one-way air releasers that push the air out but don't let it in. I'm going to use one for my small down comforter (I always get cold at night). The comforter packs down to almost nothing that way. The other bag I'll use for dirty clothes on the return trip.