Reload this Page >

Best Pizza Joint in Chicago??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:57 AM
Jason

Going to the Windy City soon and would love to hear either real Chicago folks or knowledgable vistors give me the scoop on the best Chicago Pizza. Thanks.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:06 AM
alex

May absolute favorite is Home Run Inn and then Pequod's (2207 N. Clyborn) but if you want deep dish then Lou Malnati's (439 N. Wells). Also Gino's East and Giordano's.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:13 AM
Dan

I like the stuffed rather than deep dish. Therefore Giordano's, Baccino's, and Eduaurdos.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:16 AM
Ang

For thick: Lou Malnati's

For thin: Renalli's on Lincoln

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:24 AM
alex

What's the difference between stuffed and deep dish? Do you consider deep dish the same as "pan"? I am a native New Yorker (have lived in Chicago for 4 years) so I really should have preferenced my response with the blasphemous (to Chicagoans) qualifier that I prefer NY pizza.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:25 AM
Big Red

I will get spanked on this site for saying this...but go to Unos or Dues.

It's the original. Lots of people, but it is Chicago

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Pat

alex: Am a native Chicagoan that HATES stuffed or deep dish - never understood the difference. Give me a cracker-thin, crunchy crust any day!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
alex

Me too Pat, me too. I always get a thin crust with tomatoes, black olives and green peppers. Do you like Home Run Inn? I also like their thin pizza. It reminds me of my grandma's and also of this places in my husband's hometown of McHenry called the Fox Hole.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
Pat

alex: yes....I DO like Home Run Inn. Your toppings sound quite good except for the green peppers - they don't agree with me. I usually opt for onions, mushrooms & spinach. Damn, now I want a pizza for lunch, instead of working out in the gym....must stay strong....must stay strong....

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:40 AM
Jack

Stuffed pizza is THE best pizza, and cHicago does it better than anyplace else: Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Bacino's, Oven Grinders....

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:41 AM
Texan

I don't know if it's still open, but my favorite pizza place (for REALLY-STUFFED pizza!) is LaVilla Restaurant. I think it's on Lawrence Ave., if I remember correctly. I once brought one of their pizzas home to Texas with me. They half-cooked it and wrapped it for me really well; then when I got home I finished cooking it and it tasted as fresh as if I had just ordered it. Yum!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:56 AM
codehero

BEST pizza in the city,(and i do mean the BEST) NICK & VITO's at 8435 south pulaski.Crummy building,surly wait staff,but oh the pizza!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
Wendy

When I was in Chicago I really liked Giordano's. It was suggested to me by the hotel staff and a taxi driver. They were right on!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Holly

So many great suggestions - my favorites are Pequods (stuffed), Exchequer(pan) and Pat's for super thin. With all these great choices, it's unfortunate that so many tourists and suburbanites only go to Uno and Due time and time again.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Jason

Thanks for all your suggestions, I can't wait to personally sample as many as I can!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:28 AM
Dan

Alex. I lifted this from a restaurant site that explained the difference between stuffed and deep dish.

Different from a traditional "deep dish" pizza or calzone, stuffed pizza is unique. We begin this luscious creation with a bottom layer of dough inside a two inch deep pan. A hearty helping of cheese topped with ingredients of your choice are added next. Then another thin layer of dough covers the ingredients, and our zesty tomato sauce tops the pie! As the pizza cooks, the top layer of dough will melt into the cheese, and the result is a delicious pie that you will enjoy!
What is the difference between our Chicago "stuffed" pizza and other "Chicago style" pizzas? The first thing you will notice about our pizza is the deep red, chunky tomato sauce on top. Then you will notice the two inch tall golden brown crust on the side of the pizza. Since our pizza seals in the cheeses and ingredients as it cooks, the ingredients remain moist and flavorful, and do not dry out like other pizza styles. Also, we are able to put in a large quantity of cheese in each pizza, because the cheese remains inside the pizza, and will not melt over the side and onto the oven floor like other pizza styles.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:38 AM
alex

Hmmm, very interesting. Thanks for posting that, Dan. I guess I have referred to that as "deep dish" but I should have said "stuffed." You should never ever go a day without learning something!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:43 AM
gab

Unless you're a fan of the deep-dish variety, you'll be hard-pressed to come up with good pizza in Chicago.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:52 AM
alex

gab: I think when most people visit to Chicago and want to try Chicago style pizza, they are either referring to deep dish or stuffed. I do not personally care for those types (my stomach cannot take it) but Home Run Inn and Pequod's both make very good thin crust pizzas.