Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Southwestern Colorado-Where to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/southwestern-colorado-where-to-go-508845/)

GailLK Mar 3rd, 2005 06:03 AM

Southwestern Colorado-Where to go?

Visiting Colorado end of September and not sure where to visit. We have a week.
Should we stop in Durango, Telluride, etc?
Any nice hotels in those areas or places to see? Thanks!

msr3017 Mar 3rd, 2005 06:06 AM

Strater Hotel in Durango is a neat old hotel in a neat old town.

Mesa Verde National Park is worth a visit.

Silverton is a cool place too. We did the Durango/Silverton narrow guage railroad and would not recommend it - too crowded, kind of boring. Take a jeep tour instead.

utahtea Mar 3rd, 2005 07:28 AM

I agree with msr3017. Mesa Verde is a must see.

Also the drive on the Million Dollar Highway (550) between Durango, Silverton and Ouray. You might even hit the fall colors which are really something though this area! I've never been to Telluride but would really love to go.

Utahtea

starrsville Mar 3rd, 2005 07:41 AM

I agree too that Mesa Verde is a "must see". I thought the scenery along the Durango-Silverton mine train was amazing and spectacular. The drive to Ouray is beautiful. I agree that a jeep tour would be a blast.

Drive east to Great Sand Dunes too if you are doing a tour of Colorado. You could head north to Denver from there.

beckers2482 Mar 3rd, 2005 07:58 AM

I would also recommend driving the loop from Durango to Silverton/Ouray, then to Telluride and back to Durango. You could start in Durango, drive to Ouray, spend a night there, and drive back to Durango the next day by way of Telluride.

I would disagree with msr3017 - I think the Durango-Silverton train is one of the most fantastic experiences in SW Colorado. Amazing scenery that is largely untouched by humans. A totally different way to experience the mountains.

I agree that Mesa Verde is great. Plan to spend a night in the park at the Far View Lodge for the best experiences - you will need at least two days to thoroughly appreciate MV.

paula1470 Mar 3rd, 2005 08:00 AM

I would also recommend the Durango Silverton mine train, amazing scenery. I do see how it could be very crowded during the middle of summer, however in September it should be fine since schools are back in sesssion.

karens Mar 3rd, 2005 01:57 PM

I looove Southwest Colorado. I think my favorite town is Ouray. We loved the jeep tours up to Yankee Boy. Ouray also has a nice hot springs pool (nothing fancy, but nice and relaxing). There's also a small, but interesting historical museum crammed full of all sorts of neat stuff.

Telluride has a beautiful location and lots of history, too.

Mesa Verde is fascinating.

You can take in all three places on a loop tour. We stopped in Durango and Silverton, too, but we liked the 3 places above better.

Syv Mar 3rd, 2005 02:38 PM

I agree about the Million Dollar Highway drive Durango / Ouray.

Highly recommend a jeep tour with Switzerland of America (SOA) - "Black Bear/Imogene".

P_Texas Mar 3rd, 2005 02:54 PM

Don't miss Creede. the fishing is great.

williamscb13 Mar 4th, 2005 09:25 AM

How about Crested Butte, It's a funky little town with great shopping and restaurants and lots of hiking. It won't be near as busy as Telluride and definitely has a charm of its own.