Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Southwest help needed... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/southwest-help-needed-725332/)

bebalm Jul 31st, 2007 02:40 PM

Southwest help needed...

Havent flown Southwest in several years...but headed out on them later in the week. I have heard about the online checkin so that you can get a better seat. Do you do this up to 24hours before your flight? What do you do about luggage you want to check when you get to the airport? Thanks!

FainaAgain Jul 31st, 2007 03:05 PM

Print your boarding pass 24 hours before the flight to get into group A. Last time I printed my pass 20 hours before the flight, got group B.

When you arrive, use their computers to check in your luggage.

Try to get into your line as early as you can - there will be 3 lines: A, B, C.

dfr4848 Aug 1st, 2007 04:47 AM

Just to emphasize a couple of Faina's points. Check in exactly 24 hrs before flight - the A group assignments go fast. At the airport there are 2 lines if you have luggage - one for those who already have etickets and boarding passes, the other for those that don't. Go into the "already have" line, follow directions on the screen and it will print out your luggage tag. There are several agents to help if you have questions/problems.

bebalm Aug 1st, 2007 06:40 AM

thanks for the info. I logged in this am and have two "A" boarding passes...

denise8101214 Aug 1st, 2007 06:44 AM

Don't forget, 24 hours before your RETURN, repeat the online check in.

GBbabe Aug 1st, 2007 06:52 AM

If you have A passes, I wouldn't bother lining up, unless there are seats you really, really, really want. I find there are plenty of good seats still available when I am first in the B line.

For returning, if you don't have access to a computer AND Printer... go to the the local Kinkos/FedEx. I nipped into one this spring and was out in five minutes. It cost less than $2.

bebalm Aug 1st, 2007 06:53 AM

Kinkos is a great idea! thanks!

BeachGirl247 Aug 1st, 2007 06:56 AM

Also, another way of checking in can be by your phone (if you have web access) or any computer -- even if you cannot print. This is pretty handy especially for me 24 hrs before I fly home. This way I'm not rushing back to the hotel for the 24 hour check in!

When you sign in and get your group, this will hold your boarding group until you get to a printer or even when you get to the airport. You can print your pass at the e-checkin line. Very easy.

bebalm Aug 1st, 2007 06:58 AM

so, could I have a relative do this for me back at home, and just print the boarding pass at the kiosk when we actually get to the airport?

BeachGirl247 Aug 1st, 2007 07:11 AM

Yes.

gail Aug 1st, 2007 01:44 PM

When you get to the kiosk, select the "print duplicate (or replacement) boarding pass"

Don Aug 1st, 2007 01:51 PM

Make sure your relative back home has your confirmation number. They'll need to have it to do the online check-in for you.