Southwest Connecticut

Search

Southwest Connecticut

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southwest Connecticut

I will be traveling to CT in about 3 weeks on business to the Shelton area for one week and wanted feedback from anyone who might be familiar with the lodging in that area. My husband may or may not accompany me.

I live in Southern CA and its been over 20 years since I've been to New England and want to make the most out of this brief trip.

I am not real hot on staying in "corporate" style hotel like a Marriott or Hilton even though there are some in Shelton and the drive to the plant would be easy. I was thinking about staying in a B&B near the ocean. The two places I've looked at are Swan Cove and the Oyster Point Inn and are in the West Haven area.

Does anyone out there know of these places or have experience in this area. Is it too far to make the daily drive into Shelton from this area? If my husband came with me, would the driving be easy enough for him to venture around on his own?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:16 AM

There is a great B&B located on the Milford green. It is the Rainbow Gardens which is only a few years old. It has a very nice location within walking distance of Milford Harbor and several nice restaurants.Additionally it has a great dining room which is open to the public. I found one pewrsons view in "trip Advisor".
Milford: Rainbow Gardens Inn: "Fabulous food"
Date: October 14, 2003
Reviewer: A TripAdvisor User, Naples, FL

I had a couple of dinners at this B&B. The service, the food and the decor were all beautifully done.

This review is the opinion of a TripAdvisor user and not of TripAdvisor, Inc.

Since I live in town we haven't stayed there, but have dined there on several occasions. It was voted "Best B&B" in New HAven county on several occasions and would be an easy commute to Shelton.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Sorry, meant to include the phone number. It is 203-878-2500.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 01:22 PM
roy

I'd have to go with Harry's suggestion of the place in Milford as what would be my choice. Downtown Milford is a pleasant place with the harbor running right into it. Many restaurants in walking distance and many more a short drive away. Twenty minute drive to corporate area of Shelton.
The two places you mentioned are in New Haven in an area that is adjacent to New Haven harbor. The area is landlocked by the harbor, I-95 and a very bad neighborhood. The area itself is fine but the drive to Shelton would be a bit longer and to get to the decent New Haven restaurants, Yale, etc. would require a short hop on I-95 (very heavy traffic) or an unwise run through the gauntlet of the Hill neighborhood which I, a native of New Haven, will not drive in broad daylight.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:47 AM

I agree -don't stay in any town ending in Haven in CT. I grew up in West Haven and would not recommend anyone to stay there. The Milford suggestion will probably work for you.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for replying to my post. This is exactly why I consult this board before I take any trip whether it be for a weekend away, business trip or my summer vacation. You just never know an area or what you might be missing out on if leave it up to chance.

I'll take Harry's suggestion and look into the Rainbow Gardens Inn. If that doesn't work out, I'll just stay close at a corporate type property.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM

we are driving from Greenwich to New Haven in October. can anyone suggest places to stop,lunch at ,things to see?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Fogot to include the site address for Rainbow Gardens. It is http://ww.rainbowgardens.org
The site includes some nice pictures.