Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Southerner going to Palm Springs with kids. . .

Southerner going to Palm Springs with kids. . .

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Melissa Russell

Southerner going to Palm Springs with kids. . .

Where are some good restaurants in the Palm Desert/Palm Springs area that have a California flavor (either food or ambience), and are receptive to teenage children? Price is not important. How is the new California Adventure theme park? Better than Knott's Berry Farm? Thanks for any help you can give!

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:11 AM
J T Kirk

Melissa:
Let me be the first to NOT answer your question. But, let me suggest that you spend a day exploring Joshua Tree. It is a truly awesome National park, not far from Palm Springs. It is very scenic, and very different. Worth a trip.

Jun 19th, 2001, 07:13 AM
PS Local

Melissa:

There are a ton of restaurants here, from Palm Springs to Indio. I am not sure what you mean by a "California" experience. Something funky?? Or a "mission style" theme? In any case, teenagers really aren't an issue at any restaurant assuming their manners are good, which I am sure is the case.

A few suggestions are El Mirasol in Palm Springs or Palm Desert, Palomino, Oceans in Cathedral City or Palm Desert, Blue Coyote Grill (Palm Springs), the Cliff House in La Quinta, La Taqueria (Palm Springs, Omri & Boni in Palm Desert, Kacoon's Oasis in Palm Desert. You might check out the Marriott Desert Springs Resort as well. Tuscany and Sea Grille are good, plus you can ride a gondola from the lobby to get there. Kids sorta dig it.

You probably realize that Disneyland is in Anaheim (just under 2 hours from the desert). This is an easy day trip. Caifornia Adventure seems to get mixed reviews. The older kids seem to like a couple of the roller coasters. Locally, there is the Oasis Water Park, just purchased by Knotts. This is teen heaven for hanging out and checking out the other teens. There are some other activites teens might like if you are interested (e.g. jeep tours, hot air balloon rides, horseback riding, etc.). You also didn't say when you are coming. The summer is very hot. Have fun.

Jun 19th, 2001, 10:40 AM
John

As for other things to do in PS, don't miss the Indian canyons. You pay a small fee at the entrance and go hiking back into the canyons where there are oases and waterfalls. If your teens like hiking, they should like this. Just don't do it when it is 110 degrees. I would go with Knotts of California Adventure. CA needs to add a couple more rides before it is really a standout park.

Search this Thread