Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Southern Vermont skiing in December (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/southern-vermont-skiing-in-december-813631/)

ztrip Nov 8th, 2009 04:13 PM

Southern Vermont skiing in December

We'd like to go with our 3 children (ages 8,6,4) to Southern Vermont for 5 days in December, before Christmas. We'd like a town that has a some resort feel (restaurants, tubing, ice sakting, sledding, etc) and is not terribly far from New York. Any suggestions?

bmw732002 Nov 10th, 2009 12:54 PM

You will need to check out the area that has snowmaking capacity.

Killington: Too crowded

Okemo: Nicer resort area for the family.

Stowe: Too far north. But the best of the bunch!

Your still looking at 5-7 hour drives

John

colbeck Nov 18th, 2009 07:15 AM

Okemo is the best area in southern VT. Nice town (Ludlow), good snow making, great family area.

Loki Nov 18th, 2009 08:21 AM

I won't go to Okemo before Jan, especially this year, unless something drastically changes in the weather. I've hit better conditions at Killington. With that said, I wouldn't plan a 5 day trip with family anywhere in December if at all possible, too early in the season.

Skiergirl Nov 18th, 2009 09:36 AM

Manchester, VT is awesome. Okemo is really good too and the town of Ludlow is very charming with lots of restaurants and shops.

ztrip Nov 29th, 2009 06:38 PM

Thanks so much for your responses. Okemo seemslike a good choice. Any suggestions in terms of activities (ice skating, tubing, others) and restaurants?

Christina Dec 14th, 2009 01:57 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm looking for something in southern VT, also, but for Jan-March. Basically, I have a relative who lives near Brattleboro who I want to stay with, so I wondered if there was any decent ski place within a 30-60 minutes drive from there, so I could just go for the day. It doesn't have to be super great, as I'm not an expert skier, just enjoyable.

On my map, I see Maple Valley, Haystack and Mt. Snow -- Maybe Prospect over towards Bennington. Which of these are worth going to?

Christina Dec 18th, 2009 09:36 AM

okay I found out Haystack is some private thing and Prospect only Xcountry now.

I'm thinking Mt Snow, is it a nice place to ski?

Anyone know if Maple Valley is still oepn?

telechick Dec 22nd, 2009 04:37 AM

I went to Mt Snow about 4 yrs ago and it was nice for a couple of days. I don't remember there being any really steep terrain (although I was just getting back into skiing after a 15 yr gap, so I wasn't looking for anything too extreme). It's a nice family resort and pretty low-key. Lots of blue groomers.

I don't know anything about Maple Valley.

Christina Dec 22nd, 2009 08:38 AM

thanks, I tried calling Maple Valley this morning from a number I got on the web and got a recording saying it was closed for the 2003 season -- a little old! So I figure it must be closed.

Mt Snow sounds okay for my speed, I only do green-blue and prefer the easier blue.

ztrip Jan 4th, 2010 01:41 PM

Thanks to all that suggested Okemo, we loved it.