Southern Utah Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the third week of September, we are going on a driving tour of the national parks in southern Utah (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonland with a detour down to Monument Valley) and would love some recommendations on restaurants in and near to Springdale, Bryce, Torrey, Moab and Bluff. We generally like all types of food and quality is much more important than quanity (and by quality, I don't mean fancy, just well prepared)

Thanks
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM

My husband and I made that same trip this past May. It was so beautiful !! We just packed a cooler with food and picnicked a lot. It was really a good thing since we didn't find any great restaurants in those areas. We did stop at a popular restaurant in Moab and waited an hour before just walking out because no one had even taken our order and they didn't seem to care. Make sure that you hire Tom Phillips as your guide through Monument Valley. You must have a guide to go off the main trail and Tom was wonderful !!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Hi eveningcrane,

Zion: Zion Pizza and Noodle, always good, reasonable, casual

Bryce: have always camped there

Moab: Moab Brewery, Poplar Cafe, great wraps and smoothies across from the Visitors Info Center on Main

Torrey: Cafe Diablo is supposed to be very good, never been open when I've been there (off season)

Boulder: Hells Backbone Grill, outstanding, res needed

Buon appetito!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Moab Diner for breakfast (served all day, I believe). It's on the main street in town, on the east side. Lots of yummy choices.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:26 AM

The Dreamkeeper Inn in Moab (where I just made reservations for next year) recommended we try Desert Bistro and Center Cafe. Haven't been there myself yet so I can't confirm how good they really are, but he said that they were the best in town...
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:52 AM

In Moab, the sliprock cafe is interesting...
For a good meal with a view, the restaurant of the red cliffs lodge, a
#25-30 mn drive along the river from Moab woth and the drive and the $...
In Bluff, there is only few amenities to dine : the cottonwood is a basic steakhouse, not so bad, but you have to like steaks...
Years ago, the cow canyon was "bizar"
not bad, but you don't expect some kind of restaurant there : a little "bio", a little too much for Bluff, but not so expensive...so it was possible...
In the Valley of Gods, the valley of gods B&B could offer some opportunities, but phone before(it's a 30mn drive from Bluff...).
Erik
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I didn't care for the Center Cafe. I got cold mashed potatoes and an overcooked, tough steak. How can you ruin steak? Snotty, neglectful service. Considering what they charge, totally unacceptable. It wasn't a busy night either...

Slickrock Cafe is pretty good food, hit and miss service. Sometimes excellent, sometimes extremely slow.

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 09:16 AM

In Moab I highly recommend the Center Cafe. We ate their twice in May and thought it top quality in terms of service and food contrary to what others have said.

Moab Brewery is more a family style place (burgers, ribs etc). Good food served quickly.

The Cafe Diablo in Torrey is also excellent. Food has a south west twist and very relaxing atmosphere.

Hells Backbone Grill in Boulder is an hours drive (or so) from Torrey. again very good.

Lodge in Bryce is the standard national park lodge restaurant. Expensive for what it is and not great but you oay for being there.

Diz01
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:13 AM

Another vote for Hells Backbone Grill in Boulder. Check the menu at www.hellsbackbonegrill.com.

In Torrey we found a tiny store/cafe selling delicious smoothies and the best, the best bagels ever. These bagels are home made every morning!It's in the same lot as the gas station on the left as you approach the junction coming from Boulder.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:05 AM

As a regular, limey visitor to the US Southwest, may offer my twopence-worth about Moab?

I once visited a restaurant on a hilltop with a magnificent view (even though it was a dark November evening 1998) and I believe that the place once belonged to a man who discovered some precious mineral in the vicinity and made a small fortune then built the house for his previously impoverished family. A long, winding (taxi) drive uphill and I just can't remember the name of the place but the ambience and the food were so good. Great roaring fires in every part of the restaurant were needed as it was so frosty that night. The food was different and tasty with a hint of European cuisine about it, the wine good but comparatively inexpensive. What I also liked about it was the service and absolutely no rush to leave. Coffee and Benedictines at our leisure.

Of course the management of restaurants change from time to time, as do the chefs, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

I also tried The Brewery...never again. My starter came after my main course with no apology, just a shrug and 'it happens' attitude. There is a family run Italian restaurant near the library...now we're talking good food!

Gosh, I wish I were going back to Moab. You can't fail to love the area.

Mary
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

ttt

Any other suggestions?

Also would appreciate suggestions on hikes within any of the southern Utah NPs (2 to 3 hour duration)

Thanks
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Hi again eveningcrane,

Regarding the bum knee and your limitations: the hikes can all be so different, not only in length and time needed, but varying surfaces, steepness, etc. Where do you live? What altitude and humidity are used to?

The Firey Furnace hike is really great, but it does require some agility. There are spots where you will walk across rocks, squeeze through narrow spots, jump across a small crevass, jump down/climb rocks. It is nice and relatively cool as you are in the shade of the fins most of the time.

The Delicate Arch hike is nearly all on sandstone, no shade, and fairly steep the whole way.

The hike to Landscape Arch is not difficult at all, but if you choose to continue out to Double O Arch, it is much more demanding.

There is a really nice short hike outside Arches off the Potash Rd. The Corona Arch hike is easy short and with a great reward at the end. A couple of spots where you use toe holds and chains, but just for a short way.

Canyonlands, Mesa Arch is a easy, short hike that my 77 year old parents did this spring.

Zion - lots of variety here for hikes, some difficult and very steep (Observation Point, Hidden Canyon, Angel's Landing). Others super easy, Riverwalk, Emerald Pools, Weeping Rock.
Medium, Canyon Overlook.

Bryce, you are very likey to feel the altitude here. The top of the canyon is 8,000 ft. Hiking down and coming pack up is a puffer for most people!

Hope this helps a bit. Be sure to take TONS of water, snacks, sunscreen and hat. Did I say water, water, water??
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM

We just got back from a weekend in Moab. We stayed at an absolutely wonderful B&B called Cali Cochitta where the hospitality was only beat by the delish breakfast! The rooms were super comfortable and the other guests were fun to talk with over breakfast and share tales of our adventures in Moab and other places. www.moabdreaminn.com

Now for eating...we had lunch at Eddie McSkiffs Brewery and not 100% sure, but we both had very upset stomachs within a short time. I would NOT go back there. We had dinner that night [granted we weren't feeling great] at Poplar Cafe based on reviews we'd read on here. ICK! We had their prime rib special which was expensive, mostly fat and way overcooked and dry. The veggies were canned and the whole meal was bland. There were few patrons on a Friday night -- not a good sign!
We had pizza the next night at Pasta Jay's and it was good. The food at the nearby tables looked and smelled great and it was busy, which I take to be a good sign.

Hope this helps...
Debi