Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Southern Utah in May Accomodations???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/southern-utah-in-may-accomodations-492837/)

mzambo Dec 29th, 2004 09:22 AM

Southern Utah in May Accomodations????

Looking for a good base in Utah, here is the game plan.

Fly into Vegas, drive to Utah, would like to see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and anything else you fodorites deem "can't be missed".

Where should we base, we will be traveling with another couple and prefer a condo. Have looked at Green Valley Resort in St. George, any other suggestions or comments?

ronkala Dec 29th, 2004 11:03 AM

Enter utahtea in the search forum box above for information.

dwooddon Dec 29th, 2004 11:41 AM

IMO, there are no good "bases" for you to enjoy the itinerary you stated - the distances are just too great for one single base without spending an inordinate amount of driving time doubling back to your base.

My suggestion would be a circular route to enjoy the places you listed as well as a couple of others. If you had a week or ten days, I'd drive to Zion for a day or two. From there, I'd head to the north rim of the Grand Canyon (presuming a summer trip-the road is closed from the first heavy snow to around June 1st). I'd then drive to Monument Valley. From there, I'd head northwest to Canyonlands and Capitol Reef NP's. I'd then drive down Utah Hwy 12 (many think it one of the 4-5 most scenic drives in the US) to Bryce Canyon. From there, you can head back to Las Vegas, either through Zion again or by crossing Cedar Mtn on Utah Hwy 14, also a very scenic drive.

My Streets & Maps software shows that route to be 1134 miles which is only 162 miles per day for a week or 113 miles per day for ten days. Since the first and last day are fairly high speed for much of the route, that should be an easily doable trip.

utahtea Dec 29th, 2004 06:50 PM

St. George might advertise that it's close to all the parks, but there is a lot of time and driving involved!

St. George to Zion is 45 miles (1 hour driving time)
St. George to Bryce is 143 miles (3 hour driving time)
St. George to North Rim is 145 miles (between 4 - 5 hours...depending on if you get stuck behind a slow going RV)

I agree with dwooddon, you are better off staying in a couple different locations.

If you really didn't want to move around then I would suggest making Springdale, Utah (the gateway to Zion) as your base. Springdale being at the entrance of Zion has magnificant scenery.

The day trip to Bryce would be 85 miles and take about 2 hrs. The 122 mile day trip to the North Rim would take about 3 - 4 hours.

The second closest place for a base would be Kanab, Utah.

Kanab to Zion 43 miles 1 hour
Kanab to Bryce 78 miles 1 hr 45 min.
Kanab to N. Rim 79 miles 3 - 4 hours

ALL TIMES & mileages are ONE WAY!

Utahtea

mzambo Dec 30th, 2004 04:16 AM

Thanks Utahtea, this is exactly why this forum is so useful, first timers are dependent on people like you!!!!!
Anything else that is a do not miss in that general vicinity in your opinion?