Southern Restaurants Atlanta Midtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling on business and bringing my elderly parents. What are some good southern food restaurants near the Sheraton Midtown Atlanta Hotel?

Thanks

Cheryl
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Sbarra, I've got two suggestions for you that may or may not fit the bill.

My first thought is South City Kitchen on Cresecent Ave., which is very close to that hotel. It is Southern food gone a bit upscale. It is very popular and I've had their she-crab soup. Very good.
Go to www.southcitykitchen.com.

My other suggestion is the Colonnade on Cheshire Bridge Road. This place is in an old motel and is not upscale in the least. It is in a somewhat shabby (but not unsafe) area. However, they serve some of the best Southern cooking I've ever had. Terrific fried chicken, fresh rolls, sweet tea, the works. It is an Atlanta institution.

The Colonnade is VERY popular with the elderly. It's about 15 minutes from your hotel so you'd need a taxi or car. Go to http://atlanta.citysearch.com/review/3015361/editorial for a review.

Some people may recommend that you go to Mary Mac's Tearoom on Ponce but in my opinion (for what it is worth), it is overpriced and has gone way downhill in recent years.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Mary Mac's Tea Room on Ponce de Leon isn't too far, but not really walkable if that's what you were hoping for.

http://www.marymacs.com/
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Rookie's got it! Head to Mary Mac's for the ULTIMATE in authentic Southern fare. And make sure to order plenty of sweet tea!
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Another vote for South City Kitchen.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I like South City, but if you are looking for traditional southern cooking, Mary Mac's in the place.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Stayed at the Sheraton Midtown last fall - the beds were great!!
Not really Southern, but Houston's was within walking distance and was decent for a meal. For breakfast, the Flying Biscuit or the Silver Skillet (I think) are near-by - at least one is one 4th Ave.
Non-food: the High Art Museum was within walking distance and was a nice visit.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM

If you don't want to walk anywhere, there's a good little Thai restaurant in the shopping area downstairs from the hotel - with some outside seating also.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM

post this question on www.chowhound.com and go specifically to SOUTH area:

http://www.chowhound.com/south/boards/south/south.html

it is a VERY busy website with UP to the Minute answers on ANY food question.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM

What? We aren't good enough, andy?

The best fried chicken in Atlanta is at Watershed in Decatur (per Creative Loafing's "Best" List). Alas, they only serve it on Tuesday nights - and it goes fast. The restaurant is a bit funky - a former gas station painted turquoise and can get noisy (all hard surfaces and nothing to absorb the sound). I don't think your elderly parents will enjoy it a lot. But, if you are there on a Tuesday, you may want to try it. Decatur has a nice little courthouse square.

The Colonnade is THE southern cooking place in Atlanta and the same folks have been going for decades. As atlswan it is a little worn - and beloved because they have not changed it.

Mary Mac's is the ultimate old-time, straight forward, southern cooking. Her son-in-law was one of the two owners of the Peasant Group. This family is serious about food in Atlanta. If you want traditional southern fare you can't do better.

If you want Mom's cooking with a twist, Agnes and Muriel's is not far away - traditional favorites with a twist.

The Flying Biscuit has at least two locations. Great vegetarian fare along with angel light biscuits. The original location is a bit earthy - don't know about the location near the Sheraton. Am not sure elderly parents will fall in love with it.

South City is good. Still, I'd go with Mary Mac's or Colannade if you want traditional southern fare.

If you the soul food version of southern cooking you can't do better than Pascals in the Atlanta airport.

Old May 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. These are very helpful ideas.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:09 PM
GoTravel

You cannot go to Atlanta and be in Midtown and not eat at The Varsity. Burgers and fries, the largest single coke vendor in the country.

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Whoa! The Varsity is an institution, I know, I know. Sadly, I think it has increased the grease level on both burgers, chili topping on the dogs, and onion rings ... and you should have an orange soda with it, not a Coke. Lately, a meal there leaves a greasy flat film in the roof of my mouth. You know what I mean? And it just doesn't take as good as it used to.
In my advancing age (like sbarra's elderly parents) much as I love a great burger and greasy fries, they love me less. Do stop and have a soda, though!

I like the Collonade better for the show -- the clientele is absolutely a hoot, and the waitresses appropriately no-nonsense and quite brusque. Mary Mac's seems a bit quieter -- the waitstaff will detect your yankee accent and offer a complimentary taste of cornbread and pot likker. Either place is an experience and as Southern as it gets in my opinion. If I had out of town guests, that's where I would take them (much as I like South City Kitchen).

B/
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Whaddya have?

If you do the Varsity experience with elderly parents, perhaps you should consider the curb service. They may appreciate a place that still serves that way. Who knows - maybe there's a new version of Flip Wilson taking orders. That's where he got his start.

If you do the Varsity, make sure you have the Tums handy.

I personally wouldn't take my parents there - for the food anyway.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Is Miss Pitty Patty's Porch no longer open? I've not been to Atlanta in awhile, but for some reason that name keeps coming to mind every time I see this thread. Please enlighten me, Fodorites.

On a further note, I've always missed the Varsity burger option when I've been there. But, hope to get one at some point in time.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Ick! Pitty Pat's is a disgrace.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Pittypat's Porch is still there, but I believe it's on the high/pricey side without delivering commensurate quality. A conventioneer spot -- very touristy, and probably why I never tried it when there are so many fab choices in Atlanta.

And what did I have? At Varsity, hotdog all the way, onion rings, and chocolate milk over ice. At both Colonnade and Mary Mac's, I get fried chicken livers (a good test of any kitchen's capabilities!), usually black eyed peas or greens and some kind of sweet potato souffle. Unless the vegetable offerings include banana pudding (true!) or mac and cheese. I do like the piano music at MM. And I like the bar at the Colonnade too -- check those ancient ladies with blue hair and a drink! No reservations taken for either, I don't believe.

B/
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:29 AM

I would not send anyone to Pittypat's Porch these days. It's gotten really, really bad. Poor service and mediocre food. It's really sad because it used to be a good place to send people.

Gotta love the yearly trip to the Varsity to clean out the ole' system! Makes me crave an FO (frozen orange) just reading about it again. But no true "Southern cooking" really.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:23 AM
GoTravel

Never said it was good food or southern cuisine, just said you need to stop and eat at The Varsity because it is such an institution.

Lewis Grizzard would be 'shamed a y'all.

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:00 AM

I'm not sure where in my post I said the Varsity was bad since I said I had been dreaming of having an FO. That would denote I liked it quite a lot.

I was just pointing out it didn't actually fit the "Southern cooking" category since that was the poster's original question. I don't think Lewis would have anything to "shame me" about, GT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -