Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Southern Florida Resort Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/southern-florida-resort-help-378562/)

mauimarti Nov 24th, 2003 11:15 AM

Southern Florida Resort Help!

Hi!

We are narrowing down a vacation search for the 1st week in March. 2 couples late 30's, no kids. We're going for 4 days, don't want a long drive from airport. We want to get away at a nice resort in Southern Florida. (Not Keys, not Miami--been there). A lot of people have recommended Naples, but we have heard that at this time of year, it will be mostly retired people vacationing...is that true? Also, what about the Ft. Lauderdale area?
Our priorites are
-Nice Resort, either new or newly renovated.
-Great Pool
-On a nice stretch of beach.

Budget is up to $300/ per night per couple.

HarryR Nov 24th, 2003 12:25 PM

In Fort Lauderdale check out the Lago Mar resort. It has a nice site at
http://www.lagomar.com . Located directly on the beach and the pools there are great.

cmeyer54 Nov 24th, 2003 12:41 PM

Try Hyatt Coconut Pointe in Bonita Beach; 30 minutes from Ft Myers airport; secluded but has three pool, workout facility, great spa and exchange privileges with the vacation club for more pools, tennis courts, many golf courses around. Easy drive to Naples but you don't have condos upon condos . They are not right on the beach but have a private island and beach in the gulf with a launch to take you out and back. We really liked the ambiance of the place.

Patrick Nov 24th, 2003 01:09 PM

Anyone who tells you Naples is all retired people, particularly in high season, obviously hasn't been there in a long time -- or else they didn't leave the confines of their friend's gated golf course condo community or retirement village (and yes there are a lot of those. Downtown Naples is mainly 30 - 40 somethings especially at night!! Lots of nightlife -- bar hoping, jazz, other music, and great restaurants. Even resorts like the Ritz Carlton are more "yuppies" than retirees.

mauimarti Nov 24th, 2003 01:51 PM

Thanks Patrick! I had a feeling that was the case about Naples. Thanks all for the suggestions. Any other ideas?

travelingirl Nov 24th, 2003 02:58 PM

I agree with Patrick that people who think Naples is all retired people haven't been here in the last few years and since I am 32 and live here in Naples I can assure you that it is not all retired people! The median age is now 44, not 88!! I highly recommend Naples over the east coast. The beaches and sunsets here can't be beat, well, except for Maui! There are great resorts, restaurants and nightlife AND the people are friendly and more laid back than the Miami/Fort Laud. area! I would recommend the Registry resort or the Ritz.

mauimarti Nov 24th, 2003 03:08 PM

The Ritz in Naples is quoting over $500 a night in early March, the Registry starts around $350. Anything closer to our range in Naples? We're shooting for under $300/night. Thanks again!

GoTravel Nov 24th, 2003 03:25 PM

The Westin Diplomat Resort in Hollywood Florida right between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

I think Hollywood is the prettiest beach on the east coast.

Postal Nov 24th, 2003 05:10 PM

My vote goes to the Marriott Harbor Beach in Fort Lauderdale.

andy Nov 25th, 2003 05:38 AM

Try La Playa in Naples--it is near the Ritz....

If you can swing the Registry, it is a GORGEOUS contemporary hotel overlooking the gulf--in fact, all the rooms have a water view except those in the villas...

The Ritz is my ultimate pleasure trip- but we normally do the Ritz in the summer when rates go down to nil...

However,we have done the Registry over Christmas vacation..

NAPLES all retired people--NO WAY!! It is FABULOUS! and IF I could afford to live there full time overlooking the GULF, I would be there in a hearbeat..

The downtown is filled with neat little shops and great little restaurants..and if you are into shopping, it is a virtual paradise of boutiques...

You will LOVE Naples!

mauimarti Nov 25th, 2003 09:58 AM

It looks like the Registry does have some package deals that bring it within our target range. Thanks again for all of this great advice. We are really having fun planning this trip.

mauimarti Nov 25th, 2003 06:39 PM

Forgive this Yankee question.....will it be warm enough in this area in early March??

Heartburn3 Nov 25th, 2003 06:42 PM

Marriott Harbor Beach in Fort Lauderdale can be obtained through Priceline by bidding on Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resorts. Check out Biddingfortravel.com to find out what the rooms are going for in March. You can usually upgrade your room once you win the bid and that area of Ft. Laud Beach is very nice and usually a little more quiet than the other areas. You can take the Water Taxi (about a block away)to all the areas of the beach and downtown Ft. Lauderdale/Las Olas Blvd. This hotel is also very close to the airport and most likely has a shuttle service. You might not even need to rent a car if you want to stay in the beach area and use the water taxi to get around (it runs until midnight.)

Lake Nov 25th, 2003 07:26 PM

I agree with HarryR, Lago Mar is great.

andy Nov 26th, 2003 06:06 AM

Weather in March on EITHER side of South Fla should be terrific..80's during the day....

666 Nov 26th, 2003 07:08 AM

As other people have written, Naples is not for your grandmother anymore. I lived on Marco Island from about 1997 to 2000. You will find pleasant weather in January but you will want a heated pool. Naples is trendy and expensive but worth visiting in your life time. Crazy Flamingo is the place to go for Florida's signature dish, fried grouper. Feel free to contact me if the Naples area is your choice.

mrt Nov 26th, 2003 10:45 AM

The Boca Raton Hotel and Resort is beautiful with an adjacent golf course and on the beach ( Main tower is across the intracostal) THis is one of the finest hotels in Florida (toss up with the Breakers in Palm Beach)

Wayne Nov 27th, 2003 09:24 AM

You can do much better than your budget and enjoy a first class resort with every amenity you could want, in St. Pete Beach. It's the Tradewinds Resort, and they have a web site. You will be treated well, and you will lack for nothing. Good luck. (By the way, I'm not paid by Tradewinds to say this)

mauimarti Dec 3rd, 2003 08:30 AM

Wayne, do you know the website for Tradewinds Resort? Where is St. Pete"s beach? Thanks.

jamierin Dec 4th, 2003 05:35 PM

For Tradewinds resorts (includes the Island Grand and Sandpiper Suites) try www.justletgo.com.